P Marks the Spot

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

P Marks the Spot

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:11 pm

Territory is important to wolves, which makes it important that WolfQuest presents the tasks of establishing and maintaining territory in accurate and enjoyable ways. In the old game, which we designed back in 2006-2010, we couldn’t figure out how to make a fairly tedious task — trotting around and marking every 50-100 meters — into exciting gameplay, so we simply made the territories quite small. Now with WQ: Anniversary Edition, we tackled the challenge anew and are excited about what we’ve come up with.

Today’s devblog video looks at the new territory marking system, which makes “scent posts” — those well-marked spots that all canines seek out — into central element. Instead of marking frequently and uniformly around the territory, players will create a single scent post in each territory hex, on which they can then concentrate their maintenance efforts over the course of winter and spring.(These are the most efficient ways to maintain your territory, but howling, hunting, fighting, and simply being in a hex will also contribute to your claim on it.)

But remember, competitor wolves will be hard at work marking their territories too!

We have released the first episode of WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition (Amethyst Mountain) for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. While in Early Access, we are updating the game frequently with more features, multiplayer, and ultimately the Slough Creek episode with pups. The mobile version will come after the game is completed on PC/Mac platforms. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall (DLC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: P Marks the Spot

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:20 pm

ok i think that your back to the Thursday devlog system now. Now I can look forward to thursdays again:) What happened if your territory gets completly taken by stranger wolves after pups are born? would you just have to claim hexes again with more risk of being busted by stanger wolves? (not to mention risks to the pups :( ) Also will there be dispersal wolves on the map because i dont know where they could roam after all the hexes are taken on the map? Also will other packs be having pups too? Also will the dens be on the compass or map or will you have to locate them on your own?
Also I saw that the junction butte pack will also be in the slough creek map. will the wolves in that pack be the same as in amythyst? What about the toads?
Ive been wondering about the territory for a while and this devlog answered a most of my questions. (I know it seems like it didnt with all the questions im asking :P )
I like the system about claiming tiles from other packs works, and the map looks cool as well.
EDIT: oh yeah, whats that pink bar next to the blue bar? is it the overall territory strength or the pups affinity or something else? :?: :shock:
Last edited by elkhunter123456 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldenBeauty
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Gold

Post by GoldenBeauty » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:22 pm

I love this!! Hopefully, marking and maintaining territory will be easier.

xX_WillowWisp_Xx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Florence

Post by xX_WillowWisp_Xx » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Wow this new system looks amazing and it's interesting to see the research behind it. One question though/bug report: on my game the hexagons are not showing; I am on Mac, using the most updated Anniversary Addition Amethyst mountain (although have not been doing the Steam beta testing as I use Itch.io), and have bug reported this many times though the game - I've tried reinstalling, pressing and unpressing the "toggle territories" button multiple times yet the territory hexygons still remain invisible on the map.
Thank you.
p.s, Slough Creek is very beautiful.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:17 pm

xX_WillowWisp_Xx wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:04 pm
Wow this new system looks amazing and it's interesting to see the research behind it. One question though/bug report: on my game the hexagons are not showing; I am on Mac, using the most updated Anniversary Addition Amethyst mountain (although have not been doing the Steam beta testing as I use Itch.io), and have bug reported this many times though the game - I've tried reinstalling, pressing and unpressing the "toggle territories" button multiple times yet the territory hexygons still remain invisible on the map.
Thank you.
p.s, Slough Creek is very beautiful.
Yes, we've gotten your bug reports, but it's completely baffling. We have several similar Macs and cannot reproduce the problem. It's especially baffling because Macs are so standardized in terms of graphics drivers. It has to be something with the graphics card or driver, but we sure can't think of what it could be.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:48 pm

I'm a little late getting to this, but I'm glad I did eventually! How exciting - new gameplay! I was a little concerned for a while, thinking I'd have to run around like mad attempting to boost the territory while various predators went marching off toward my den and I would be devouring any carcass nearby to feed the pups. It's good to see that it's harder and more complicated, yet no more rushed than 2.7 (which had me hyperventilating in a good way).
Back to the more detailed gameplay - I'm definitely looking forward to the scent post addition and the territorial battles with nervous anticipation. I expect in the first five minutes of Slough Creek I'll be ranking the packs by "enemy, greater enemy, greatest enemy, etc."
Excited beyond words, so I'll be quiet now.

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”