WolfQuest, Graphics Cards, and You

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WolfQuest, Graphics Cards, and You

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm

[youtube]fQcbkopST48[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/fQcbkopST48

We’re seeing more questions from players about what kind of computer hardware is necessary to run WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition. Given how much bigger and better this game is compared to the old version, that’s a good question — so that’s what we’ll look at in today’s devblog post.

First, I’ll note that general game code is quite well optimized and runs on a wide range of CPUs (Central Processing Unit — the “brain” of the computer that runs the game code), so we don’t have any worries about that. It’s the game graphics that pose the bigger burden on a typical computer. Computers use a graphics card (or GPU: Graphics Processing Unit) to draw (or “render”) the visuals on your monitor. Many modern computer games require a dedicated graphics card — a special microprocessor that is fully responsible for that task — rather than the more basic GPU which is built into the computer. Today’s video looks at WolfQuest’s graphics, particularly why grass and trees are so demanding on a computer, and what we’re doing to make the game run on as many computers as possible.

How do you know what graphics card your computer has? Follow the instructions here:
https://www.wikihow.com/Find-Out-What-G ... d-You-Have

And here is the bar chart of common graphics cards shown in the video:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/common_gpus.html

What about mobile? We’ll do our best — stay tuned!

_________

We are releasing the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access on July 25. That will be followed by multiplayer and Slough Creek some months later, then followed by the mobile versions. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall.

WolfQuest 3 will be a free update to players who own WolfQuest 2.7.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: WolfQuest, Graphics Cards, and You

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that my new gaming PC is strong enough to run it. :D At 10:26 it looked like a Halloween scene. xD On July 25th you should make a devlog strictly devoted to having fun with the game, you deserve it!

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Not the best news to be hearing, since my Laptop has a GeForce GTX 960M graphics card (and I can't afford anything stronger currently), which means I won't get to play the game on the best possible graphics, but, I guess knowing the answer is better than having to worry about it.

At least it looks like we'll still have the option for fluffy stuff regardless of graphic level, so as long as my laptop can still run the game well with floof abound, I should be happy.

Jayleaf1609
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Jayleaf1609 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 pm

The video didn't have my graphics card on it, but I'm pretty sure that it's not that good for gaming. I don't know if this can be used for reference, but I can run the Sim 4 on the best possible graphics and the Sims 3 (not during winter for seasons) on the best possible graphics settings. The graphics card is a Radeon R5. But I do know that I will be happy to play the game no matter what, but will the game run okay with my graphics card? And good job by the way, the game looks amazing!

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:15 pm

I think it's great that you guys are including low enough settings that will work even for even some of the lower end integrated graphics cards. I still remember playing the old game nearly 10 years ago as a kid with a computer not exactly built for gaming and being so happy and amazed that I was able to run a beautiful 3D game like WolfQuest.

Looking forward to the early access!

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:05 am

Huh, turns out I have a Radeon R4. Hmm. Oh well, I'm willing to adjust the settings to get the thing to run, whatever it takes to enjoy WolfQuest Anniversary Edition. Little disappointed the game may not be as pretty, but I can live with that. It'll be very worth it.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:37 am

Honestly, I knew my computer's graphics card was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad (for reference I have an Intel HD 4600 graphics card, and can play Wolfquest 2.7 decently on the second lowest graphics settings). But when I saw where my computer's graphics card was listed on that website, my heart sank. I had known it wouldn't be high on the list, but didn't know the sheer scale of how bad it was. I guess it makes sense though, because my PC is a five year old laptop that never was meant to be used for gaming, and in fact, it's so old that it used to be my mom's laptop. Since I am not a very big time PC gamer this was never a problem until now, and while I should have seen this coming because of how old my PC is, I had been a little too optimistic about whether my ancient PC would be able to run the game. I'll probably need to play the game on the lowest settings, if it can even run on my computer. I've wanted a new computer to play games for a while now, and I honestly should have gotten one a long time ago, but was never able to justify paying so much money for a PC with better specs, and my family isn't necessarily rich either, despite the fact that both of my parents work full time. Fingers crossed that I'll be able to convince them that it's time for me to get a new computer, though I've asked them in the past to get me a new one with mixed results at best. Until I can get one, my current computer will have to do.

Honestly, the release of WolfQuest 3 is going to be a little bittersweet for me, because while I've been waiting to play it for years, I probably won't be able to play it just because my computer is practically a fossil at this point. I guess I'll have to make due with watching Let's Plays of it on YouTube until I can get a better laptop, which really saddens me, but it's probably my fault for not realizing how bad mine was to begin with.
I apologize for the long rant, and I don't mean to sound depressed or anything like that, even though it might seem like I'm complaining. I just felt like I needed to vent a little, and I feel this situation warranted it.

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:02 am

This looks great, I appreciate the effort you actually put into a graph for players to see the price ranges as well as how well certain graphic cards will work. Pretty nice graphic options by the way! It will help alot of players who want to play the game! :D

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:56 pm

I have loads of respect for the developers just for considering players with graphics cards that aren't the gaming standard. The time and dedication you all take to consider all of the community is astounding.

Unfortunately, I have a version of Intel graphics not listed on the list AND I'll be running the game on an iMac. I'm just hoping for mediocre graphics at this point, haha.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:41 pm

Phasoli wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:56 pm
I have loads of respect for the developers just for considering players with graphics cards that aren't the gaming standard. The time and dedication you all take to consider all of the community is astounding.

Unfortunately, I have a version of Intel graphics not listed on the list AND I'll be running the game on an iMac. I'm just hoping for mediocre graphics at this point, haha.
I agree, it's very considerate of the developers to try to optimize the game so that those without a dedicated graphics card can play. Looking back now on my original post in this topic, I don't think I gave the team enough credit for attempting to still allow those of us with less than adequate computers to play the new game.

That being said however, I am still a little sad that I will probably have to play the game on the lowest graphics settings possible in order for my computer to even run the game. Hopefully I can convince my parents to get me a decent gaming computer for Christmas so I can still experience the new version's improved graphics and get the full WolfQuest 3 experience. I'm in need of a newer laptop with more RAM memory anyway for school next year, so this might not all be bad news after all. That is, if I can find one that is affordable and can be used for both gaming and schoolwork, but I'm already looking into that.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:55 pm

Jayleaf1609 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 pm
The video didn't have my graphics card on it, but I'm pretty sure that it's not that good for gaming. I don't know if this can be used for reference, but I can run the Sim 4 on the best possible graphics and the Sims 3 (not during winter for seasons) on the best possible graphics settings. The graphics card is a Radeon R5. But I do know that I will be happy to play the game no matter what, but will the game run okay with my graphics card? And good job by the way, the game looks amazing!
I'm not too familiar with anything AMD puts out, but it appears to me that the R5 series is integrated and originated in 2014. Not sure if any came after that, but it looks like a 2014-era R5 will put you at performance below a 820M from NVIDIA's GeForce line and even below DinoDogDude209's Intel HD 4600 (https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeo ... 655.0.html).

For comparison, I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (like WolfDragonPlasma) and can run WolfQuest 3 on Good with tolerable performance. Beautiful is a bit more of a strain, but with some tweaking, it is close to manageable (not ideal for hunting, though). I am close to the bottom of the list-- but it's a dedicated graphics card. I also have integrated graphics in my laptop. Actually, I have the Intel HD 4600 as well. I'll have to double check since it's been awhile, but I do not think it runs well with the game. (I have to make sure my laptop is unplugged to force it to use the integrated card.)

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:44 am

I am glad that it will be possible to play on old computers with worse graphics cards, because I have an old laptop. In my opinion, the game also looks great when you set the worst quality.

I'm really looking forward to the game!

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:36 pm

I thought my computer was pretty good at running video game graphics. It could run WolfQuest 2.7 at maximum FPS on the fastest setting with vegetation turned to high. It`d start lagging with anything above that, though.
It turns out I have an Intel videocard, one of the lowest cards on the chart, lol
Apparently my computer`s 8 years old... (Edit: No it`s not. I don`t know how old it is anymore, but I think it`s at least 6 or 7 years old.)
I remember when it was new and I was playing on a new release of WolfQuest (I think it was the update where a snowy version of Slough Creek or weather was added) and I was amazed at how well it ran and that when I went into scent view everything was black and white while the scents were colorful.
I also remember playing WolfQuest (a really old version) on a box-shaped computer, if I remember correctly. I don`t know, I might have just seen a video of someone playing it on a computer like that.

Edit: I think I have an Intel HD 2000 videocard, so.. I should probably get a graphics card (also WQAE has some lag (10fps) on the fastest settings and the wolf is a bunch of glitch lines but that might have something to do with my videocard). Graphics cards can be really big, though, and may not physically fit in all computers. Also the graphics card might need a different power supply (also known as PSU), and I`ll have to be careful; making sure the new power supply doesn`t kill my computer somehow. [I`m not a hardware expert, so I may not entirely understand what I`m saying. If you`re trying to get a new graphics card then I wish you luck.]
Last edited by SamueWolfSword on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

rainiepainie
Pup
Pup

Post by rainiepainie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 pm

I have a Geforce 930m which, if it were on that list- would be soo low LOL
However if i remember correctly (its been awhile since playing) it runs WQ 2.7 on high with grass n stuff around 40 fps maybe 50? either way its totally playable and great on that setting and it runs a lot of the games i play decently on a good setting. I'm crossing my fingers i can play the game at a bearable fps rate on at least mid-high settings. I'm all about beautiful immersive graphics and its one of the top things im looking forward to in this game!
Im seriously considering getting a new laptop with a better GPU haha

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:02 pm

My graphics card is Radeon HD 8450 G. I have had this laptop for 5 years and it has some screen damage but it's the only computer I have. I don't mind playing on a lower setting, I just want to be able to play the game at a reasonable framerate.