I've Been Working on the River

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

I've Been Working on the River

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:55 pm

[youtube]c-PgzxHbeTk[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/c-PgzxHbeTk

The expanded maps in WolfQuest 3 encompass  not only more grassland and forest, they also now include more creeks and rivers. The Lamar River is the most known example, but two other “significant” creeks (i.e. they have names) wind their way down the slopes of the mountain: Amethyst Creek and Chalcedony Creek. Happily, we now have much better tools to create realistic waterways than we did with the old game so we think you will be as excited as we are about WQ 3 water. This video looks at the process of creating Chalcedony Creek.

Tools shown in this video:
* Unity3D: Game authoring tool
* River Auto Material (R.A.M.): Used to create river spline and carve riverbed in terrain.
* Lux Water: Gorgeous water shader
* Vegetation Studio Pro: Powerful tool for spawning and rendering vegetation as well as rocks and other small objects.

We will also create the small ponds up on Specimen Ridge that you may recall from the old game — and yes, you’ll be able to drink from any of these bodies of water. Drinking will give you a small health boost. (And no, we won’t be adding a Thirst Meter.)

We don't have a release date yet but we are getting closer! Our plan is to release the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. That will be followed by Slough Creek some months later, then followed by the mobile versions.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Re: I've Been Working on the River

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Question
Will it have like small fishes in the river also? Or no? If you get any fishes in Yellowstone of course.

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Yesssssss let there be waterrrrrrrr.

I still remember playing the original game as a kid, and wishing the map was more set on the Lamar instead of overlooking it, because the dry grasses and bushes with little water made the whole map feel so parched. It's so delightful to see water sources now! It's like seeing a final puzzle piece click into place for Amethyst Mountain as a game world and makes it feel like a complete and living world. I can't wait to visit it when WQ3 releases.

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm

The creek looks so beautiful, it's amazing! I will definitely have to stop by for a drink and a rest.

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm

This looks so pretty, and drinkable! ;) There are a lot of rocks near the end scene does this mean our wolves will run into them all the time? :lol: Lol. Which reminds me, has anyone ever noticed that the mate can never get to the pups and you by the special den because it can't find a path through the bushes, he/she may even get stuck...? Do you think this will this be different in the new game?

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Pup
Pup

Post by 8900 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 pm

:wolf: I've been workin' on the riiiiver alll the live-long day! :wolf: I've been workin' on the riiiver just to pass the time awayyy :wolf:

WOW that water looks gorgeous! :D I cannot wait to go splashing through the creeks in-game just like I do in real life! You guys are doing a stellar job~

I'm curious about that river path, is all of that a single model generated by the nodes? Do you know how that works?

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:19 pm

I'm speechless. It's beautiful. That's really all I can say about this. It's realistic, it's beautiful... No words can describe this, and I imagine it will be better in person! I'm probably gonna spend hours exploring rather than actually doing things I need to be doing. Oh Slough Creek is going to be beautiful... You guys are doing amazing work. The wait will be very worth it in the end.

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:19 pm

I really like all the stuff and vegetation on the edge of the creek because it gives me the feeling that I'm next to a creek instead of a nice open bank without rocks and other terrain. I think Slough Creek will be great I can't wait to drink from the waterways in wolfquest3. (Well, maybe I can, take your time and keep up the good work.)

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 pm

The environment is so beautiful in the new game. I can't wait to trace each creek until their end! Ah, that water looks so charming and serene. And the sound effects! That's why playing without the music on has always been magical for me, because the sound effects are so immersive. I love it so much!

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 pm

the river and logs are absolutely beautiful! will their be a beaver dam in them? i cant wait to hunt beavers! :beaver: :beaver:
(by the way i have an instinct that wolfquest 3.0 will come out on the 100th developers blog)

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:40 am

Man, everything is looking so gorgeous. It's almost too much to comprehend how much progress the game has made since 2011.

As of the last update, I figured I'd be in need of a computer upgrade. I decided I'd start saving up so I can afford a more advanced machine for gaming. Howeverr, yesterday I found out my parents had taken out some money from my bank account(I won't say how much they took. It was quite a bit though) so they could afford to pay energy bills.
The entirety of humanity right now just seems completely obligated to keep me from getting a new gaming system anytime soon c':

Thank you for blessing us with another update! I love how frequent these are as well ^^

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:55 am

It is so nice to be able to see the process of the creek coming together so beautifully. Like Loach, I was always a bit sad about how dried out the original map looked. This beautiful new water should make running around to explore all the more nicer, and of course now our wolf can take a nice drinking break if necessary.

cherie fleur
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Cherie

Post by cherie fleur » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 am

I am thrilled. Shooketh, you could say.

I am absolutely in love with how good this is looking. And every dev blog update makes my Thursdays. So exciting.
Like paperpaws said, the original map looked so dry, but now with the new water bodies and the gorgeous forestry, it feels more alive than ever (including the animals, of course). The water shader looks breathtaking, the vegetation around it too. Beautiful.
And the water drinking addition is sweet. Now we can take little breaks by the river and relax to the sound of the stream. Maybe catch some Z's...
Last edited by cherie fleur on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auzzen
Pup
Pup

Post by Auzzen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 pm

This is gorgeous! I'm eagerly awaiting the full release. Loving all the water and the updates though! Can't wait to be able to drink and then take a nap by the river!

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:05 pm

With the rivers being improved like this, I think it's safe to say that Slough Creek, with all of its different water sources (Old Oxbow, the random small ponds and lakes, and of course the creek itself) will be truly amazing. With the new beavers coming to the game, it makes sense to upgrade the habitat in which those new little critters will be found. :D