Why Why Why?

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Why Why Why?

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:50 pm

[youtube]32D0zeBYdfc[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/32D0zeBYdfc

Here we are at the end of another year, still working on WolfQuest 3! Why, you may wonder? The short answer is that we are making a much bigger game than we had thought. We’re tremendously excited about how the game is coming together, but each one of these new, better features requires a lot of time to develop, tune, tweak, and bugfix. Today’s video shows a few of the latter — though truthfully, almost all of these are from a few months ago and have since been fixed. Of course, our playtesters are finding new bugs and quirky things that require our attention now. Glancing at our bug reporting board, these include “sometimes rains and snows at the same time,” “Player wolf does too much damage” (is that possible?!), “Wolves fall through map,” “Elk calf can get stuck running in place,” and my current favorite, “After courtship, my ‘mate’ just leaves with the dispersal group” — now that’s harsh!

In addition to these bugs, our amazing team of Unity developers is making progress on all fronts. Andrei is setting up more UI, music, and innumerable small features that make the difference between crudeness and polished. Zach has multiplayer almost done, and recently took a break from that to set up the new accounts system, including migrating your wolves from the old game to the new one. Since joining the team in August, Nick has become our ombudsman for tricky technical challenges, from save/loading all the essential data for our complex eco-simulation to special shader solutions to performance optimizations. And Tommi has actually been playing the full game to find bugs to fix and refine and polish the gameplay.

So, sit back and enjoy the humorous bugs…but don’t worry! We are getting closer to releasing the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. That will be followed by Slough Creek some months later, then followed by the mobile versions.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Re: Why Why Why?

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:04 pm

I loved the bug glitches/bloopers. And take your time WolfQuest Team and I hope you guys have a great New Year's Eve :D

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:37 pm

I hope they understand now XD
I am one of those people who do understand.

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks for the update, Dave! Very nice of Zach to take a break and migrate our wolves to the new game, even if it had to be done sooner or later. I think that early 2019 will be Early Access' release date, based on what I've read just now. But as I said, it's done when it's done.

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Yeah, take your time, one thing what was the situation with the carcass was it you and you mate came across some dispersal or another pack. Happy New Year and keep up the good work.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:32 am

Wouldn't be WolfQuest if the release date didn't get pushed back a few times ;D

I have to say, this footage gave me tremendous new insight in the natural lives and abilities of wolves. I'd have never thought wolves lived like this if it wasn't for this educational game!

(In all seriousness, I'd pay to have seen your live reactions to these. I imagine it balances the fine line between hysterical laughter and a frustration breakdown.)

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:01 am

10/10, would buy this fantastic realistic animal-kite simulator as-is! 😂
paperpaws wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:32 am
(In all seriousness, I'd pay to have seen your live reactions to these.)
Likewise~

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:32 am

paperpaws wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:32 am
Wouldn't be WolfQuest if the release date didn't get pushed back a few times ;D
Well then, WQ3 will be the WolfQuestiest of all WolfQuest releases!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:15 am

I love the videos full of bugs and glitches. They're already hilarious, but the music, which doesn't fit yet does, makes it perfect. :D :)

Reiwynn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Reiwynn » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm

The first scene was totally realistic. You should leave it in the game.

Thanks for the update Dave. :)

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Oh this is fun to watch! XD I rolled over laughing in the scene with the grizzly bear, "Oh don't mind me, while your glitching I'll have a snack!"
Can't wait for wolfquest more than ever now as I have a newer PC that runs ALOT better than my old one, and I actually get to see what it looks like when it runs without lag(sort-of lol)! :D

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Wow, some of these look really frustrating, haha. To be honest, the wait doesn't even seem like it's been so long even though we're approaching a full year of game production at this point. I'm certain that this just means that the game will be that much more amazing when it's released!

Those were some pretty funny bloopers, though, haha. I look forward to seeing more from the beta testers!

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:52 pm

As usual, it was tons of fun watching all these hilarious bugs! It really goes to show why games take so long to make, though....

Wish you guys the best in making WQ 3!
Last edited by SilkenGalaxy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Now that it's close to the release date, do you know if multiplayer will be released with Amethyst Mountain or separately? It's fine if it'll be released separately; I can wait for it. Anyway, singleplayer will keep me occupied for a very long time, based on what I can see! :)

TacticianLyra
Pup
Pup

Post by TacticianLyra » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Rain and snow at the same time actually does happen, depending on the time of year. It's referred to as a "wintry mix," I think.