Stand Out From the Pack!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Stand Out From the Pack!

Post by loboLoco » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:23 pm

[youtube]41Zg1yNdyJg[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/41Zg1yNdyJg

We’ve finished setting up the customization options you can use to create and modify your wolf, so let’s take a look at that in today’s video. Many of these are the same body modifications as in WolfQuest 2.7, but we’re using a different method for them in WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition which will allow more variety. Now you’ll be able to mix and match as many modifications as you want! Not only that, you can adjust the degree of each one to create a more unique wolf.

* Coats: We still have five basic coats, but we created those textures way back in 2007, so they’re overdue for an upgrade. We’re remaking all five coat textures, and here’s the first one, replacing the old Tawny wolf coat. As before, you can adjust the tint of the coats to create lighter or darker variations. All the other coats will still be available as well (and on mobile, your purchases will carry over to WolfQuest 3). Please note that WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition will not have additional coats, but we know that many players would like more and are considering options to add more in the future.

* Eyes: As we showed in an earlier devblog, you can choose and tint your wolf’s eye color to create a range of accurate eye colors found in wild wolves, from gray to yellow (with the palest of yellow-green) to gold to brown. See the video and read the post: “Eye of the Beholder” at https://youtu.be/7EpcPZOUhgA

* Howls: Based on our poll from a few months ago, every howl in WQ 2.7 is loved by somebody, so we’re keeping all of them — and adding a lot more! Not only that, but your wolf will have two howls, a primary and a secondary, which you play by tapping the H key or Howl button once or twice. Rallies just got a lot more melodious!

* Ears: We have the same choices of ear customizations (torn, bent, flat, and notched) but not only can you modify the degree of each, now you can combine them, as you like.

* Body: Along with the radio collar option, you can now adjust your wolf’s neck ruff, body mass, tail fluffiness, and even fine-tune the mangy tail options. As before, male wolves are larger than female wolves and you can still vary the size using the strength stat slider.

* Stats: Same as before, with sliders for strength, stamina, and speed.

* Personality: Your actions are how you convey your wolf’s personality in the game, of course. But now you can set your wolf’s personality traits using the same scales assigned to the NPC wolves (bold-cautious, social-loner, energetic-lazy). These settings will then be used in the WQ genetics system and will combine with your mate’s stats to help determine your pups’ personalities.

To learn more about these systems, see the videos and posts:
* “For Better or For Worse” (mate AI and personality) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQsAh1ENKc
“Genes Behind the Scenes” at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV-Dd_ror8g
* Bio: Finally, you can write a short biography of your wolf that other players can see in the Pack Stats panel in multiplayer games.

Thank you all for your ideas and feedback that helped guide us as we’ve updated the wolf customization system for WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Stand Out From the Pack!

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:36 pm

This looks great I love the new tawny pelt and all the variations. One thing I will say is the mange tail tip just cuts away the fur so I think it shouldn't be a cut away but if it smoothed out more I think it will look better. Either way it looks really good so take your time and keep up the good work.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:51 pm

The new coats really look brilliant, and I LOVE the new features!! (Especially the fluffy tail, mangy tail and genetics!) :D You guys are outdoing yourselves!

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Waiting for this blog forever.

And MAXIMUM FLUFFYNESS XD.

Heh, lol. Also love the new body types. Skinny wolf or BEEFY.

Keep it up my Wolf loving pals!!! :wolf:

And best of all, a stinking Bio. XD. Wonder if in multiplayer people can read your wolfs bio.

Edit: Watched the video again, and I just realized Dave said that you will be able to read bio and stats on other players. Wasn't fully paying attention.
Last edited by MysteryFoxSpirt on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfwind

Post by Wolfwind » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:56 pm

These updates are the highlights of my Thursdays. And this is one I've really been waiting to see! :D Glad we're getting more customization options, they'll be fun to play around with. Having a second howl choice is an awesome idea too! Rallies will be more fun. Also love the bio and personality sliders. You guys are doing such a fantastic job!

I do have one request though, could we also keep the old tawny coat as an option too? It's my absolute favorite coat in the game, haha. Kind of a classic piece of WolfQuest history too, almost iconic? Anyway I loved it :'D And it's the coat I gave to my longtime favorite WQ wolf <3 I'm all for getting revamped versions of the original coats (and the new one looks great), but actually I'd really love to keep all the original coats as options in the game as well. They had a really nice level of detail and character to them. I'd be sad to see them go!

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:01 pm

I love the new pelt color is so pretty. And yes I can write my own wolf's Bios.

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:06 pm

The coat looks so amazing, and the new body features are so niceee!
And the howling animation is so smooth, whaaaa!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Wow, look at that model! It's absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to get my feet wet dabbling in every new customization feature. This looks so amazing! And the revamped pelt looks gorgeous too! I can't wait to see how the silver and black wolves turn out. The original silver pelt has been a favourite of mine since the original game. As mentioned before, it'd be cool if we could keep some of the old textures too, for old time's sake.

I didn't realize that I've always wanted to make a chubby fluffy wolf until now, haha. Man, that mange is looking cool as well. Might make a skinny mangy wolf too!

Timber-Wolf-at-Dusk
Pup
Pup
Name: Arik

Post by Timber-Wolf-at-Dusk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Wow!! This is so amazing I love all of the fluffiness! These will really help players form a unique identify within packs, I love how we will stand out. I do have a thought though. Id love to see a bit more grey within the new tawny wolf pelt, its beautiful as is of coarse, I know a lot of Yellowstone wolves have grey-brown pelts and the original looked to me to have a bit more grey.

I agree with other users. This original tawny pelt has always been my favorite I’d love for this one to be saved if possible.

Everything just looks so much more natural, the howling is smoother and we can see more realistic teeth, got to love those canines. :) I agree with other users the mange option is really awesome but would look even more realistic with the fluffiness gradually smoothed and thinned. Maybe have the fur shorter or replaced with a texture of discolored skin. All of the extra features have me speechless im so excited :D
Last edited by Timber-Wolf-at-Dusk on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:19 pm

These changes look great, Dave!

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:21 pm

This is ridiculously exciting! RRGGH WANT TO PLAY WITH THAT BIG FLUFFY WOLF SO BADLYYYY
He's so cute! This is so cool, WQ Team!

SnowSprite
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SnowSprite » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:34 pm

I think I saw somewhere that when WQ 3 comes out we could transfer our 2.7 wolves to it. If that's true, and our wolves have the old coats, will they be automatically changed to the new updated coats? Or will they stay as they are?

Edit: If there really is gonna be a "classic" set then hopefully they won't change XD
Last edited by SnowSprite on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:43 pm

This is amazing! The bio option will be a great addition to multiplayer roleplays, instead of having to give a description of your wolf every time! I'm excited to see all the different verity!

Keep up the fantastic work WQ team!! Y'all are doing an unbelievable job!

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:26 pm

The new coat texture is stunning. I will miss the old one for nostalgic reasons, but what an improvement! And those eyes... they look alive!

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:32 pm

WOW! Me and my friend just watched this and we are so exited!!! The new customization looks so much more fun, and making your own personal wolf will be able to be so much easier! Two questions will we be able to have a torn or bent ear while having a radio collar? And can our pups (And Mate) have a torn or bent ears (And mates have radio collars)? That would add alot of diversity to the game! Your pups/mate could have the bent or torn ear because of playing or a preditor attack? Because if they can that would be AWESOME!!! So exited keep up the great work! Go Wolf Quest!!! :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: