Coyotes being spotted

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

MsGoldenMC4

Coyotes being spotted

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Minervia Park Village:
Coyotes have been spotted in Minerva Park, a small village on the north side between Columbus and Westerville Ohio. Most of the village is residential and includes a golf course and several wooded areas. It's an ideal habitat for coyotes because there are plenty of places to hide during the day with small animals to hunt at night, including domesticated pets.

"Sadly, one our little dogs on the north side of the Village had been attacked by a coyote in the early-morning hours and did not survive," says Mayor Lynn Eisentrout. "This is the first time we've heard about coyotes being spotted in the Village this year."

The mayor says a resident whose property abuts the golf course reported seeing three coyotes Monday morning. She has contacted the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to ask for advice.

Dana Limes has seen coyotes while playing golf in Minerva Park. He says they look like large dogs but they have never approached him.

"I've seen them on the golf course maybe four or five times over the course of the summer," Limes says. "They're usually out early in the morning and you'll catch 'em running across one of the fairways."

Limes says his mother, Bonnie, who lives in the village, has a chihuahua named Sunny. She walks the dog through the neighborhood and is not concerned about the coyotes attacking him because she stays with him and doesn't leave him alone in the yard.

Alex Beaver's property borders a creek with lots of trees and wildlife. The stream meanders from Cleveland Avenue, through the entire village, across Westerville Road and, eventually, empties into Alum Creek. Beaver and his family spend lots of time watching the wildlife in the ravine. They even put out salt blocks and pumpkins to feed the animals. From their living room windows, they've seen deer, raccoons, foxes, hawks and even peregrine falcons, but no coyotes.

"I have two large dogs so I'm not worried about them at all but I have two cats and particularly with the hawk and rabies carriers like raccoons, we keep them inside. And, of course, a coyote could make pretty quick work of a cat," Beaver points out.

"Just because a coyote exists, doesn't mean they're actually going to be a problem," notes Gary Ludwig, a Wildlife Biologist for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. "Realistically, if coyotes have selected an area, there's something there that they're really keying on." He says they'll seek out areas with adequate places to build a den and with a good supply of food. They're adaptable animals, he says, so they can survive on anything from small prey to household garbage.

"With any wildlife, whether it's coyotes, raccoons or whatever, is try to eliminate the food source, try to make that food source less available or try to make that denning area or that cover less available to them," Ludwig says.

He says coyotes pose very little risk to people unless the animals are cornered or feel threatened. Usually, they'll avoid human contact. He says there was an unusual case in Strongsville this summer when a person was bitten by a coyote while trying to protect a leashed family pet. He says it's important to be "a responsible pet owner" and keep your pets away from potential hazards in the first place. Don't leave them unattended in the yard or wandering around the neighborhood all night.

Coyotes do not have natural predators in Ohio so hunting is the most effective population control. Ohio does not have a specific season or bag limit for coyote hunting.

"It's open season on them all year 'round," says Ludwig.

But hunters are required to have a license and to follow local hunting rules and regulations.

To rid an area of coyotes, Ludwig says the best method is to eliminate the convenient feeding and nesting areas. Beyond that, call a qualified critter-control company.
Link: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/nov/01/ ... ar-277737/

Ohio Wildlife: http://shadows-end0.tripod.com/mrss10.html

Minerva park is where i live but i have not seen any coyotes yet.
Last edited by MsGoldenMC4 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kivia

Re: Coyote Population Grows

Post by Kivia » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:25 am

Could you perhaps give a link to where you got that information from? That would be greatly appreciated. =3

MsGoldenMC4

Re: Coyote Population Grows

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:54 am

Ok found it! it has been stated above the story

Kivia

Re: Coyotes being spotted

Post by Kivia » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Awesome, thank you^^ And thanks for editing your story as well to change it to the actual story.

MsGoldenMC4

Coyotes being spotted

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks Kivia! i did not know the actual story at frist but then i researched it and found it :)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Hm. Interesting article; thanks for sharing! It will be interesting to see if they are able to successfully "contain"/keep the coyote population lower.

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:44 am

Well yeah,some people i bet were unexpected to to find out that there are Coyotes in Minerva Park.

IndianWolves
Pup
Pup
Location: Howling at the moon with Wolves , Comanches ,and Apaches!

Post by IndianWolves » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:14 am

I've seen on tv where a coyote killed a little girl who was playing alongside her familys SUBERBUN home. they were talking about how overpopulated coyotes are infact a coyote came REALLY close to my familys house one day and good thing my dog Hanna and one of our previous dogs Ariel ran it off. I'm happy that I'm big enough to keep myself from being seriously hurt by a wolf. :o
hi-la-hi ka-li-i hi-a da-na-wa-nv-ne-hi a-le a-la-s-di i-tsu-la
Go through the warpath and fight together.
CHEROKEE

I'm A mixed up Native American got a problem ?

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 am

IndianWolves wrote:I've seen on tv where a coyote killed a little girl who was playing alongside her familys SUBERBUN home. they were talking about how overpopulated coyotes are infact a coyote came REALLY close to my familys house one day and good thing my dog Hanna and one of our previous dogs Ariel ran it off. I'm happy that I'm big enough to keep myself from being seriously hurt by a wolf. :o
Well, you never know, a fully grown Wolf has aprox twice as much biting power as a German Shepard ^-^
How interesting Rebecca100, it's sad to hear about the families dog, hopefuly they can find a solution of keeping the Coyote spottings down.
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

SmokeDetector

Post by SmokeDetector » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:58 am

IndianWolves wrote:I've seen on tv where a coyote killed a little girl who was playing alongside her familys SUBERBUN home. they were talking about how overpopulated coyotes are infact a coyote came REALLY close to my familys house one day and good thing my dog Hanna and one of our previous dogs Ariel ran it off. I'm happy that I'm big enough to keep myself from being seriously hurt by a wolf. :o
Actually if a Coyote aproaches you,You should HIT it in the nose or THROW a rock at it or HIT it with a baseball bat and This topic is not abot wolves.Its about coyotes being spoted and Thanks for sharing Rebecca100

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:19 am

SmokeDetector wrote:
Actually if a Coyote aproaches you,You should HIT it in the nose or THROW a rock at it or HIT it with a baseball bat and This topic is not abot wolves.Its about coyotes being spoted and Thanks for sharing Rebecca100
I wouldn't be that aggresive, load sounds like hiting pans together, or a noise of a gun Shot would defently scare away a Coyote in a Human area, showing how dangerous we are and a threat to the Coyotes that come in.

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 am

It actually depends on how close the coyote is to you

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:30 am

If a coyote was about a meter away, I would use the resources I already have, like a Rock or a stone, maybe kick them about making loud noises or screaming and shouting, maybe get attention from the neighbors.

Fullmoon00
Pup
Pup

Post by Fullmoon00 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:11 am

Interesting.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:09 pm

Fullmoon00 wrote:Interesting.
Good to see that you find this article interesting, Fullmoon00 :3 Though, it would be great if you could post more than three words so your post can contribute to the conversation more and less than three words can be considered as SPAM, alright? Thank you!
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu