Minnesota, New Law

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Rinith
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Minnesota, New Law

Post by Rinith » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 am

They have done it, Minnesota has banned 4 dog breeds, but they were only able to do it slightly, so you can still own one with a license, I was greatly agenst this for I know many dogs of the listed breeds, all but one of them had a good temper, in fact,one Kain (a roitwiler) loved to play, and still acts like a puppy!
~Don't tell me to calm down, for I am rarely angry, even this request is nothing more but that, a request
~My Game Ideas, please leave a comment
:http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 69#p101069

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Minnesota, New Law

Post by Blindseer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 am

this is normal, I dont see anything wrong with it. its the way it is in most states.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:08 am

I have mixed feelings about laws against having certain breeds. I hate to see a dog punished because of a human not taking the time to properly train and socialize the dog, but took the time to train the dog to be aggressive and fight.

But, on the other hand, it's good to keep people like that from having these dogs.

I had a German Shepherd, and she was a complete doll-baby. She was sweet, loving, and interacted well with other dogs. My friend next door growing up, had a Rottie. He was huge and intimidating, but because he was properly trained and socialized, he was a wonderful dog to be around.
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Rinith
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rinith » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:02 pm

I am for the license thing, but the problem is that there trying to ban the dogs completely, some thing witch I am agenst, mostly because a large part of a dogs behaver is in how it is raised and treated, there going to use the first excuses they can get to ban them completely...

Or I could just be over-reacting, but that is the way they seem to be acting about it
~Don't tell me to calm down, for I am rarely angry, even this request is nothing more but that, a request

Chenneoue
Pup
Pup

Post by Chenneoue » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:18 am

Blindseer wrote:this is normal, I dont see anything wrong with it. its the way it is in most states.

I have issues with anyone wanting to ban a breed because of a few bad cases, some of which are not documented or portrayed correctly... I do not understand how people can think nothing of taking other's rights away. It is one thing to make it a little harder to make sure they are up to the task, but to say no one is capable and should not have the right to own what they want is wrong in my opinion. This is turning into the land of the not so free...

Maybe I took the comment out of context, but please explain to me why you don't see a problem with taking other's rights away. And just because others do it doesn't mean they are right either... I am not trying to start a flame, just trying to understand other's points of view. So, please explain.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:48 pm

the law is to make it so that you need a license to own one. the "few bad cases" can be largely prevented by this. to get a license, the people have to check out your house, make sure you can take care of it, etc.

in my opinion, it makes it so that people are actually prepared to maintain the dog, and the abuse can be largely prevented by it. thats why I support this kind of law.
icon by Rottenrobbie

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:40 pm

I don't support it. Why ban a type of dog just because one or two behaved badly? Its taking away rights. I thought America had a little something called FREEDOM.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:23 pm

There's a difference between freedom and responsibility. Laws are made to keep people safe (well generally...there are some stupid laws out there, no doubt).

Yes, it's ashame a few bad apples can ruin a bunch, but this particular law is trying to push more responsibility on owners.

It's ashame it has to be done, but that doesn't mean people aren't going to pay for a license and love and care for the breed either. Responsible, loving owners of the breed would do that. I know I would--my dogs are my family. (^-^)

Rinith
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rinith » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't mind this law, just what they are trying to aim for, they are trying to ban the breed completely, The limit part otherwise is a good law in my opiuon

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:28 pm

Rinith wrote:I don't mind this law, just what they are trying to aim for, they are trying to ban the breed completely, The limit part otherwise is a good law in my opiuon
That would be sad if they banned the dogs permanently. :[

Chenneoue
Pup
Pup

Post by Chenneoue » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:20 am

Blindseer wrote:the law is to make it so that you need a license to own one. the "few bad cases" can be largely prevented by this. to get a license, the people have to check out your house, make sure you can take care of it, etc.

in my opinion, it makes it so that people are actually prepared to maintain the dog, and the abuse can be largely prevented by it. thats why I support this kind of law.
I guess there is a confusion on whats happening. I am still not really for liscensing, but its better then banning out right. I took your comment as you didn't mind banning the breeds all together. Sorry if I read it wrong.

But really, dog attacks are still going to happen, even if certain breeds are banned. The only way to fix this problem is with people, licensing may help, but will never completely fix it. Besides, keeping up with home check ups and etc takes a lot of man power, time, and money, it will be hard for any place to keep up such a thing.

Rinith
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rinith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:53 pm

I think the license would help if you needed a months training, but it is just a 400$ (800$ if the dog has bitten any one) price for one, nothing else really

Twilight12343
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Twilight12343 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:51 am

its sad that this happened :[

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:47 am

Well, I think a license is better than banning the dog breed completely. Of course, it won't fix the problem completely, but hopefully it will discourage those with the intent to get a particular breed because it is an "tough & aggressive" breed, and that it would make the owner look cool to have one.

Chenneoue
Pup
Pup

Post by Chenneoue » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 am

Rikku wrote:Well, I think a license is better than banning the dog breed completely. Of course, it won't fix the problem completely, but hopefully it will discourage those with the intent to get a particular breed because it is an "tough & aggressive" breed, and that it would make the owner look cool to have one.
I agree. But there are always those that are going to get one either way...black market dogs and what not (your not going to see dog fighters signing up to license their dogs!). Then it makes the responsible owners work even harder. Ah well, nothings perfect.