Jaw snapping/popping?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Jaw snapping/popping?

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:44 pm

What does it mean when a dog snaps or pops its jaws? My dog generally only does this when she is playing and excited at the same time. IS this something I want to imitate back or not. ALso is its meaning based on context (i e the situation)

I have a yellow lab BTW also just a note her body language when she does this is indictive of a happy dog, incase that helps our wolf expert.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

OceanWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Jaw snapping/popping?

Post by OceanWolf » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:43 am

You mean like when there playing and they like bite the air?
/------------海狼------------------------------------\
{Bioluminescences, the light in the darkness.}
\--------------------------------------海狼----------/
~People need to stop trying to change the world, and do there best to keep it the way it is~

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 pm

not shore i thought popping was pooping :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: To many eh!

Bye
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:28 pm

that was random...
icon by Rottenrobbie

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Blindseer wrote:that was random...

i realied thats why i said ...................................Bye,
:lol: :lol: :lol: that was random 2 i am guessing!
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

LunarWolfVII
Pup
Pup
Location: Deep within a forest...Somewhere...*mysterious smile*

Post by LunarWolfVII » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:24 am

It's play behavior, more than likely ^_^.
You do have to be careful with certain dogs though, it can be a sign that they're getting a little too roudy, and may need a gentle "alpha" reminder.

Actually, some breeds are even known for it, I don't know about labs, but German Shepherds and their cousins (Dutch shep., Malinois, Terverian, etc.) often snap or pop their jaws when exited, playful, etc.
...when the sun has gone I see you
beautiful and haunting but cold
like the blade of a knife so sharp so sweet
nobody knows your heart...

- "Princess Mononoke" by Joe Hisaishi

My DeviantART - http://skygatecreations.deviantart.com/

LunarWolfVII
Pup
Pup

Post by LunarWolfVII » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:25 am

OeacnWolf wrote:You mean like when there playing and they like bite the air?
Your signature rules *headbangs to righteousness*

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:31 pm

I guess I am having a really hard time trying to understand exactly what is going on with Kyuubi no yoko's dog. Sometimes people can misinterpret play, positive or affiliate behavior just because the dog/wolf is wagging it's tail. You really need to look at the entire body language that is going on at the time.

Also, you sometimes have to be a little careful with how much excitement you engage in with your dog. It can easily escallate into something more. Again, not sure exactly what is going on with the two of you without photos/more information.

If you could give me more information/etc. that would help me out.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:06 pm

Well generally she only does it when you shine a light on the ceiling. She jumps at it and does seem playful, she often does that "I want to play poses as well."(You know butt in the air sorta thing.) I know she would never get aggressive towards myself or anyone else. The popping/snapping is often accompanied by a low bark, like "wuff" And to make things harder every single dog is different as well so for her this can mean something completely different than in another lab.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

LunarWolfVII
Pup
Pup

Post by LunarWolfVII » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:37 pm

Kyuubi no yoko wrote:Well generally she only does it when you shine a light on the ceiling. She jumps at it and does seem playful, she often does that "I want to play poses as well."(You know butt in the air sorta thing.) I know she would never get aggressive towards myself or anyone else. The popping/snapping is often accompanied by a low bark, like "wuff" And to make things harder every single dog is different as well so for her this can mean something completely different than in another lab.
yeah, sounds like she's just playing, probably just her own unique little mannurism (sp) ^_^
I've seen dogs snap and "pop" when playing, in fact, now that
i think of it, my aussie, Bailey, does it when she wants someone to throw her ball.
What we ment by being careful about the excited play with certain dogs doesn't necessarily mean that they will get mean or aggressive. It's mainly a matter of respect, for me, play is too far when the dog is jumping and/or crawling all over you.
Though they may not mean anything, it's disrespectful, and they would most likely not get away with such behavior with a more dominant dog - who's position in this case should be filled by you.
I dunno, with stuff like this, it mainly relies on your judgement of what's acceptable behavior or not. For me and my family, we have fun with them, but we always make sure that there is no mistaking who is the "alpha".

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:09 pm

My labrador does this thing with his teeth where its like he`s chattering because he`s cold. He only does this when I walk in the door and when he`s excited. some dogs just do weird things...but if she`s lifting her lips at you then you`ve got a problem.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain