Petshops

Discuss other canids (dogs, coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

CleopatraWolf
Pup
Pup

Petshops

Post by CleopatraWolf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:22 am

Personally I think that even though the little puppy dog in the front window of the petshop is adorable that live animals in pet shops are wrong.

Firstly, when your in the shopping centre all the pet shops with live animals have them out the front in the front window. This is bad because then some people buy on impulse, and don't even think about what they have to do when they actually own the animal.

Also a lot of pet shops get their dogs from puppy mills or other bad places, so that is why I think pet shops should just sell stock. And some can sign an agreement with breed-rescue so they can have a board of which dogs are up for rescue.

Also many dogs and cats are treated badly in pet shops. Not abusing bad but how they are kept. Once at night while I was walking past a petshop I saw there was hardly any water in the 'enclosers'.

What do you feel about this? Do you think pet shops should sell live animals?

~Cleo

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Evil Petshops

Post by Blindseer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 am

I dont see any problem with pet shops.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Snowmuzzle
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Petshops

Post by Snowmuzzle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:14 pm

I don't think we should condemn all pet shops. Sure, i would always buy dogs or cats from somewhere else, but there is a brilliant pet shop near us that used to sell hamsters.
They were handled and cleaned out every day, which is more than some people who own hamsters do, so they were fairly tame and happy to be handled. However, they stopped selling them recently and just sold supplies instead.
When my brother got his second hamster, we had to go to a garden centre to get one. There was a big contrast: the hamster was afraid of people and made these horrible snarly squeals when you tried to pick him up, and would happily bite, while the ones from the first shop were slightly shy at first but grew up to be friendly little creatures that just adored being handled and begged to be taken out. The hamster from the garden centre is also quite delightful when he wants to be, but it took a lot more time and work to get him to that stage.
Thou shalt not put musicians on ridiculous pedestals, no matter how great they are... or were.

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 am

I think pet shops are ok. I dont see anything wrong with them either.

Dewfrost
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Dewfrost » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:37 am

The petshops I go to do not sell puppies,kittens etc.They sell animals such as Rats,Mice,Birds,Fish,Gerbils,Guinea pigs,Rabbits and Hamsters.And as far as I'm concerned,pet shops are not really a bad thing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MeginoRAWR

My lashes are dry, purple teardrops I cry.

♦ WolfQuest User Of The Month September 2009

Vargen
Pup
Pup

Post by Vargen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:30 pm

I think that pet shops are fine for selling hamsters, rats, mice, fish ect. But I don't like it when they sell puppies. It's wrong and cruel because they get them from puppy mills :( .

H-help
O-our
W-wolves
L-live

(Vargen) the swedish word for wolf

Randomness is my life!

Support the Mods!

Proud alpha female of the Clouded Moon Pack
please join!

Makayla
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Makayla » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Agreed, Vargen.

Some are fine, but others get them from puppy mills.
My opinion, which may be off topic slightly, is that people are more inclined to get them from pet shops where they are expensive, instead of the shelter where they are cheap, recued, and in need of a home.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
(Avatar by Jaw)

Join the group for updates and info about my published book, Adopted By Wolves!
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref= ... 3201117108

Fawn

Re: Evil Petshops

Post by Fawn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Blindseer wrote:I dont see any problem with pet shops.
nor do I. Even if they stock from puppy mills, I have never bought an unhealthy animal from a pet shop ever. (And I have had a LOT of pets) I see no problem with having animals in the front window either, after all pet shops are a business and that is good advertising.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:19 pm

Vargen wrote:I think that pet shops are fine for selling hamsters, rats, mice, fish ect. But I don't like it when they sell puppies. It's wrong and cruel because they get them from puppy mills :( .
once again, they do not always get them from mills. sometimes, they even get puppies from the pound and such, or from private breeders. puppy mills are illegal, and buying from them can have major consequences.
icon by Rottenrobbie

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:14 pm

I kind of shoot myself in the foot with this topic...I admit I did buy my dog from a petshop. But now since i`ve worked at animal shelter and seen all the unwanted dogs and cats, some from petshops, I can`t go in petshops without getting depressed. I always think of how there are other perfectly fine animals needing homes, when the ones in windows are from places that breed animals for profit. thats just my opinion though, I don`t mean to shove it down anyone`s throat....
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

CleopatraWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by CleopatraWolf » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Well I would like to have more people buy pets from the pound before going to the breeder or pet shops. Although somne pound animals are put there for a reason..like if they were aggressive or something.

I like the petshops that only sell animals like birds and fish, but I don't think that they should sell dogs and cats.

~Cleo

Inoushi
Pup
Pup

Post by Inoushi » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Pet shops can go either way. I don't mind when they keep it to small animals and birds and even cats. Simply because your not going to commonly find a private breeder for these animals, since many fanciers tend to be rather exclusive. However I think its important as to which pet shop you go into. I know Petco treats their animals very well and have enriching cages while other pet shops are just horrible with the habitat sizes.

Now when it comes to dogs. I give a resounding no. The regulations for many of these pet shops are appalling and you can never get a straight answer as to where these puppies originated from. Also any true private breeder would never give puppies to a pet shop. A good private breeder wants to screen people and know where their animal's are going and tend to only breed if they have enough deposits. I have had a bad experience with petshops. My current dog came from one and she was every bit a result of a puppy mill. She had kennel cough, skin allergies, overly submissive, hips dysplaisa and knew no bit inhibition. Only through a lot of care and love did she become the healthy, well mannered and beautiful dog she is today.

However I do think it would be totally wrong to never pick a puppy from a pet shop. If you ask me they have it much worst then a dog in a pound does. When we consulted the pet shop of her problem they offered to give us a replacement. However they were going to put her to sleep. We could not bear it and we loved her by then so a replacement was not an option. Many people tend to ignore that puppies sold at pet shops mostly find their way into a pound or put to sleep. Buying a dog from there could possibly save a dog from suffering before you decide to open you home to them.
Eyes glowing red I plunge through the darkness.
Fur so black that it swallows light.
Son of a mother of the wood. Son of a father of the sky.
Product of an unholy union.
Tonight I shall live. Tonight I will howl.

Banshee
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Banshee » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:56 pm

the petshop i goes to in oklahoma helps out local shelters by selling dogs and cats from the shelters in there store.
they even have an adoption day every saturday.
my little sister even bought are cat from there.
http://banshee311.deviantart.com/

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

-/)-----(\_
((.... _/{
`-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (. .... \\
.“ “ ......““

CleopatraWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by CleopatraWolf » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Banshee wrote:the petshop i goes to in oklahoma helps out local shelters by selling dogs and cats from the shelters in there store.
they even have an adoption day every saturday.
my little sister even bought are cat from there.
Thats really good. I like petshops that do that sort of thing.

~Cleo

Wolf+Freedom=Me
Pup
Pup

Post by Wolf+Freedom=Me » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 pm

pet shops use puppy mills, whick force dogs to breed uncontrolably, and when the females can't reproduce any more, they have to be killed.. but then again... dogs in shelters to be adopted might have some mental illness and bite someone.. BADLY! it's just another famous turning point that has it's goods and bads :roll:
My username is confusing..but the game gives us freedom and we are a wolf..this game is so me!

Return to “Other Canids”