March Contest: Awesome Videos!

Archived contests and giveaways.
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

March Contest: Awesome Videos!

Post by loboLoco » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:18 pm

We're going to do something a bit different this month. I want to make a new promo video for the upcoming Steam release. I like my original 2.7 promo video just fine, but I understand that it may not strike quite the right tone for the Steam audience, which is generally looking for the awesome!

So first, I'd like to hear suggestions for what moments of gameplay should be included in this chock-full-of-awesome promo video. Please post those below. Second -- and this is where the contest comes in -- I'd love to get actual gameplay video clips of those moments of awesome, which I can then incorporate into the new promo video.

There are some technical requirements for the video clips:
• 1280x720 resolution
• Very solid 30 fps
• Beautiful or Fantastic quality, with shadows on
* HUD off
* Music silenced (but capture other game audio)

Everyone who submits a video that meets those requirements and has some kind of awesomeness will get a free copy of the Music Extras. I will be the judge of the awesomeness factor (which is mainly to prevent people from submitting just any random video capture from the game -- take the time to capture something cool, please!).

If I use your video in the promo video, you'll also get a free copy of the game -- either the Mac/Win version or the upcoming tablet version. (If you already have the game, you can give this to a friend.)

If you've already got some gameplay video that you think would qualify, please submit it. Or capture something new.

And even if you aren't able to capture video, please comment if you have ideas for really awesome bits of gameplay that we should have in the video. Maybe somebody else will take that idea and capture a video of it.

So to summarize:
* Suggest ideas below for awesome video (no prize but much gratitude).
• Capture some awesome video to win a free copy of the Music Extras.
• Capture such amazingly awesome video that I use it in the promo video to win a free copy of the game, on Mac/Win or upcoming tablet.
* Videos can be from any level or map. (Yes, I think we should include something from Lost River, though perhaps tantalizing rather than total spoilers.) So if you only have the Free Trial, you can focus on Amethyst Mtn.
* Post your videos on YouTube or Vimeo, or ask me for other options like Dropbox. Feel free to share a link to it in this thread, or if you prefer not, send an email to contest1@wolfquest.org
* All submissions become the property of Eduweb, though I can give you an unlimited perpetual license for your own use of the video.

Deadline is Monday, March 21st, midnight Central Daylight Time, US.

Thanks, and I hope to see some awesome videos!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Re: March Contest: Awesome Videos!

Post by duskypack » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm positive I'm going to enter in this (I'm sure you guessed I would anyway)! Are we allowed to enter multiple clips? I want to capture some really gorgeous scenic shots as well as some of the more epic moments in Wolfquest. Also, are we allowed to have other players in them?

Lastly, if you find anything in my already-made video that you would want to use than feel free!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm

I sure was hoping you would enter, duskypack! Multiple clips are quite welcome, and yes, we should have some MP clips, just let the other players know what you're doing.

And thanks for that permission, much appreciated.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Whoops - one more question: if submitting videos via YouTube, would it be easier to upload multiple videos with the clips in them or one video with all the clips? I've also that when uploading clips for projects like maps they have the actual video be a few seconds longer to prevent cutting, not really sure how that works but would that be helpful?

Time to get in-game with my recording program >:D

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:15 pm

duskypack wrote:Whoops - one more question: if submitting videos via YouTube, would it be easier to upload multiple videos with the clips in them or one video with all the clips? I've also that when uploading clips for projects like maps they have the actual video be a few seconds longer to prevent cutting, not really sure how that works but would that be helpful?

Time to get in-game with my recording program >:D
A single video with multiple clips is fine, and yes, please include maybe 10 extra seconds around the clip to give me more options when editing.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:21 pm

I added one more tech requirement: music silenced (but capture other game audio)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:10 am

I'll see if I can capture anything worthwhile. I have some ideas in mind.

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:49 am

That sounds like a great contest idea! I look forward to seeing the awesomeness. (^_^)
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:30 am

This looks awesome! I'm hoping to enter, but I'm not sure how to record a video at such a specific resolution, but I can definitely record at 30fps if I so wished! I do have several ideas for great video clips though!

rowantobias
Name: Rowan

Post by rowantobias » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Looking forward to entering! Quick question, though: how long should the video be, and should be of one scene only, or can it be multiple clips in one video?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Multiple clips in one video is fine. To capture at 1280x720, choose that resolution when launching the game, and then have your video capture software capture only the game window.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Whitetigress55
Pup
Pup

Post by Whitetigress55 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Cool, but as Altias said, about how long should the clips be?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:00 pm

I will edit the best clips down to 5-10 seconds but feel free to include somewhat longer clips -- just try to select the awesome bits, rather than posting a 20-min video.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:53 pm

loboLoco wrote:I will edit the best clips down to 5-10 seconds but feel free to include somewhat longer clips -- just try to select the awesome bits, rather than posting a 20-min video.

Are the clips allowed to be edited (like for emphasis) or do you want just raw footage? Also, is audio a must because I don't have the means to record good quality audio >.>

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Yes I would like edited clips to pull out the awesome parts. Audio is desirable but not required. I can add it back in.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer