Um... Venomous Snake in My Front Yard

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

RayaF
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Um... Venomous Snake in My Front Yard

Post by RayaF » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:54 pm

Ok yesterday I went outside and I stepped on something. All I could see was it was a snake with some weird pattern on it. It was a copperhead. My mom refuses to call animal control to try to relocate the snake, despite the fact I almost died.What do I do?

Nordue

Re: Um... Venomous Snake in My Front Yard

Post by Nordue » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:52 pm

• Hi RayaF,

Well, there is not much you can do. I am assuming that the snake didn't bite you, so at least you are fine that way! You could google 'copperhead snake' and check to see if where you live is where a copperhead species lives. Are you sure it was a copperhead? Too bad you didn't have a picture of the snake. But don't go out and take one if you have any reason to think the snake might be venomous!

_Nimbus_
Pup
Pup

Re: Um... Venomous Snake in My Front Yard

Post by _Nimbus_ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:02 pm

This could be a false alarm, there are many snakes that pretend to be venomous such as a hognose
Steps to figure out what to do.
1. Observe behavior, If the snake first plays dead, It is most likely a hognose. hognoses will then rear up in a "attack stance" but they are harmless
2. If it is a copperhead, there Isn't that much to worry, these snakes are generally shy and their venom Is rarely fatal, test show their venom Is the least effective of the pit vipers.

3.Also, I noticed that you said Stepped on it. That might Indicate that It is a copper head because this is common behavior of them
4. Visit the Wikipedia page.
Shh, shh, do you hear that? Those are the winds of change.