Mystery Bird?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Mystery Bird?

Post by Edme1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:48 pm

A few days ago, I saw a bird sitting on my neighbor's fence. It seemed relatively tall and large (about a foot, maybe?) and looked like a mottled gray color. Its feet were bright yellow and it was holding a small animal in its talons (perhaps a mouse?). I tried to get close enough to see it more clearly, but alas, there's no outwitting a bird, and it flew away.

This was during the day, so I've kinda ruled out the possibility of it being an owl. :I I thought it might've been a peregrine falcon, but what confuses me is that there isn't really any high nesting platforms that it could nest in. I can see a fairly large nest of packed leaves at the very top of my backyard tree, but my mom says it's a squirrel's nest, and from the research I've done, peregrine falcons like shallow scoops more than leafy nests. I've seen this bird a few times around here, and it's fairly common where I live to see Red-Tailed Hawks, but its feathers weren't really the ruddy and buff colors of those hawks.

This is the first time I've seen any sort of bird like this around here. My mom is worrying that the thing it was holding in its talons the first time I saw it might've been a rodent. According to my research, peregrine falcons mostly snatch birds midair, but then again, I'm not entirely sure if this is one, or if it was holding a rodent or a bird.

Any ideas on what it could be? I'm pretty perplexed here, so any suggestions would be appreciated. c: Cheers!
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Katemarie123
Pup
Pup

Re: Mystery Bird?

Post by Katemarie123 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:17 pm

I have many birds i know of that look like that but I would have to know what state.This is personal so i cant make you tell me.But if you do tell I can name birds that are possible for you that look like that.
ɪ αℳ ∀ ϖ∅ʟƒ

greatdragon108
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by greatdragon108 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:48 pm

I need the same info KatieMarie does, if I knew where you lived, the search would be much more narrow.

Edit: It could have been a red-tailed eagle with a dark/light morph. They can be less red and more brown/tan.
That's all I can come up with. :lol:
Last edited by valkea on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding info from double post
Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.

Alfred A. Montapert
This was odd because there was a picture of a crab along with this post.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Please do not double post, greatdragon108, if you have something to add please edit your previous post instead.
Additionally, since Edme1 hasn't come back to this thread since its creation, or even logged onto WQ since July, I'm going to lock this since there isn't much of a point if the creator isn't going to come back to answer any posts. Edme, if you happen to come back and want this thread unlocked, feel free to message me or another moderator~

Locked.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”