The mystery of mammals

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Hatred2145
Pup
Pup

The mystery of mammals

Post by Hatred2145 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:47 pm

I've never quite taken notice to this, but still there are some things science can not explain about the animal.
It makes me think.
The Polar Bear ( matter a fact any type of bear ) is an example. How these creatures can do so things. Science still does not have an exact explanation as to how a brown bear can pick a fish from the river almost perfectly.
The Canine is another example. Dogs of any sort have the ability to smell ten times ( or more ) than a human.
Science can do the research of it all, but still question how these canines have the ability to do such things.
Do you ever wonder?
There's a mystery about every mammal. Even human beings.
People always want their lives to be Sunshine,
But in order to grow you need a little Rain,

Nobodies perfect...

Avatar: http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/logoresized_3896.jpg

Nordue

Re: The mystery of mammals

Post by Nordue » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 pm

• Sure I wonder. As an aspiring biologist, I try to use science to answer my inquiries, or better worded: provide the most accurate insight available on the subject. Because you are right; science does not always have straightforward explanations. All science is theory-based anyways.

Perhaps the reason bears are so adept at catching fish is a combination of adapted traits and learned behaviors. But on a much deeper note, who really knows? We don't know absolutely everything about everything, and we probably never will. Here I go again, making a comment deeper than necessary XD.

Hatred2145
Pup
Pup

Post by Hatred2145 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 am

It was a mystery to me also when doing work with my college professor on the human brain.
Near the lower part of the brain you have the medulla.
Well science is still working on how the medulla is able to control involuntary actions awake, or not.
Such as breathing, the respiratory system, your blood flow, blinking, and much more.
It just amazes me how something so small keeps our bodies functioning without notice.

There was also a lizard, i'm not quite sure of the name for it, but i'm positive it was a lizard.
They said this lizard almost adapted to any colored place available to it.
Though i'm not quite fond of reptiles, and though this is not quite a topic for these creatures, they are quite a good example. I kept one as a pet and could never find it unless it moved in its cage.

But what i'm most curious about, is how science can yet continue to discover all these new animals and species, but still have not mastered the hidden things within other mammals known to them.

Nobodies perfect...

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Hatred2145 wrote:There was also a lizard, i'm not quite sure of the name for it, but i'm positive it was a lizard.
They said this lizard almost adapted to any colored place available to it.
Though i'm not quite fond of reptiles, and though this is not quite a topic for these creatures, they are quite a good example. I kept one as a pet and could never find it unless it moved in its cage.
  • Perhaps you are referring to a chameleon?

Hatred2145
Pup
Pup

Post by Hatred2145 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:10 am

0.o
Well my bad, I had a really... dumb moment I guess. Lol
Oh well, it happens to us all. I grew up calling them lizards all my life so thats why...
Thank you for the correction though.

Nobodies perfect...

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:30 pm

• No problem! No one has perfect recollections :P .

Hatred2145
Pup
Pup

Post by Hatred2145 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Lol, yea no one does. What do you find as a mystery in mammals? I just wanna know what you think, your opinion and everything...

Nobodies perfect...

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:03 pm

• Hmm... well, humans are definitely intriguing creatures. We don't exactly see any chimpanzees blogging or posting on forums :lol:! Somewhere in evolutionary history, we began a divergence that would separate us from other species. It make us seem practically superior to other organisms (at least in some aspects). The interesting part is: we didn't get there by physical dominance; in strength or agility. We were extremely adaptable mentally. Thanks to superior evolved brainpower, we used culture to become socially complex. Our mental capabilities outpace any other known organism.

It makes you wonder... beyond homo sapiens, will any other species (aside from our own) involve into something even more unique than we are? That's a good mystery to me!

Hatred2145
Pup
Pup

Post by Hatred2145 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Out of all my life, i've actually never thought of that. Well honestly i have a different view from that, as to saying, i dont necessarily believe we evolved from monkeys, if thats okay to say.
But I have wondered, okay, we have the major organ of the body that controls everything in us.
The brain.
Well what exactly keeps the brain going, it cant keep itself going? We cant say its because the heart gives oxygen to the brain and it knows how to function and etc etc..
What controls the brain... Is my question, because nothing can control itself without something being the main solution in helping it maintain its stability. ( Did that make since? ) If you're not understanding where im going, its fine because im not sure how to actually word this. Im saying, the brain controls us right? Well the brain cant function off itself honestly, no matter how much science tries to prove it...
Science has created everything but a living organism. We know how it forms and all that good stuff, but have not the ability to create a live organism.
( Lol im sorry that last part was random but its true. )

Nobodies perfect...

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 am

• That's totally okay to say :) .

I think I understand what you are trying to state here Hatred2145... are you essentially asking the fundamental question of where life originated? Because I believe you are right; all life had to start somewhere, or from something. Whether one accepts that life originated in the depths of the ocean as the result of chance events or elsewhere depends on the beliefs of the individual. Science hasn't been able to create life from scratch yet, without using natural materials (the cellular components of a pre-existing organism: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... fe#slide-4. Granted, this article probably isn't the best one out there on the subject, but it will do for discussion purposes I think :P ).

(Which is where I will have to remind readers that references to religion that force one's beliefs onto others are to be avoided here on the forums, to help maintain a neutral atmosphere. This isn't meant to be a threat; its just a general reminder so everyone is clear as this discussion advances!)

Here's another one: the soul. Do you believe humans or other organisms have a soul? What is a soul?

Hatred2145
Pup
Pup

Post by Hatred2145 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:15 pm

I dont exactly believe animals have souls, but that would be quite surprising if science had a way to tell they do.

Other than that, I myself don't think it is logically possible to create life from scratch, because if you think about it, how do all these things develop by itself in the uterus of a female. It's not like the cells just know what to do automatically... Which is why I question science sometimes, but then other things get mixed in with that topic and I don't want to go to far...

Nobodies perfect...

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:10 pm

• Indeed, I'd be interested to see that argument. I'm not even sure if I personally understand the definition of a soul in the first place!

When it comes to cells, its a bunch of smaller units (organelles) being run by even smaller units, all the way down to atoms subatomic particles. What drives these currently accepted elementary units of matter goes into to quantum theory, something I think we can all agree on is a non-living process. When we look at the issue on that level, its quite humbling to think that all life may be controlled by something a lifeless as energy. Unless, like you are implying Hatred2145, there is something more to life that what the sciences can explain. I won't say I am against it at all. But part of me wonders if its simply the sheer complexity of understanding how all the different levels of "life" come together and interact to form one whole organism. Life on the cellular level is very different from life on the level of an elephant, for example. So its circles back to: what is life? The movement of protons through a single cell, or the different organ systems of an animal working together? How can these mundane processes begin to explain creativity, emotion, empathy? Love?

I'm quite glad you came by to have this discussion with me, I'm very much enjoying it! But yeah, its tough to get into transcendent matters here. Which makes the discussion sort of unbalanced, I admit.

Hatred2145
Pup
Pup

Post by Hatred2145 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:47 pm

My point exactly. I question a lot of things from science. A very good example.
Evolving from monkeys, although it is illegal in most states to teach that evolution, most people believed it was true. But if we evolved from apes, monkeys, chimpanzees, or what science called us before hand, how do they still exist.
An extinct organism that once evolved into another organism, such as a T-rex to a chicken, the T-rex no longer exist. Any evolved organism over time has come from an extinct organism. If we came from monkeys, why do monkeys still exist? If we somehow evolved from monkeys why do they still exist.
But of course scientist say the level of intelligence was dramatically lower in monkeys than in the apes we "evolved " from.
I'm not quite positive about my opinion, but it strikes a bit of curiosity in me.
I know for a fact we did not come from monkeys, there is just no way.
Again, the topic becomes to deep and detailed and we are trying to keep out certain discussions.

Nobodies perfect...

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:16 am

Hatred2145 wrote:My point exactly. I question a lot of things from science. A very good example.
Evolving from monkeys, although it is illegal in most states to teach that evolution, most people believed it was true. But if we evolved from apes, monkeys, chimpanzees, or what science called us before hand, how do they still exist.
Dogs come from wolves. Why do wolves still exist? Many Americans are of European descent. Why are there still Europeans?
Hatred2145 wrote:An extinct organism that once evolved into another organism, such as a T-rex to a chicken, the T-rex no longer exist.
T. Rex did not evolve into a chicken. Indeed, T. Rex has no living descendants. Birds did not come after dinosaurs, they lived alongside them.
Hatred2145 wrote:I know for a fact we did not come from monkeys, there is just no way.
Yet I presume you'd agree that coyotes and wolves are both canids, and lions and cheetahs are both felids.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Hatred2145
Pup
Pup

Post by Hatred2145 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:24 am

Who knows... Science could be wrong about the wolf... Although dogs act like wolves in many ways... Doesn't really mean they came from the wolf... so...

Whoever said the T-rex evolved into a chicken needs to do their studies again then...
I've never agreed with science when it comes to evolving...

Because how would you know specifically what comes from what because although we have technology, technology is not always a hundred percent right...
Dogs come from wolves. Why do wolves still exist? Many Americans are of European descent. Why are there still Europeans?
Humans don't evolve... Human's have always been humans... Our traits and knowledge and personality is just a lot different... We left from Europe to come to America... I don't feel like giving out a Civics lesson... But, just because we are Americans and many of us come from Europe ( I'm Russian, so if I am wrong correct me ) does not mean we are different... If you notice we still act much like Europeans... We just moved to a different part of the map...

I'm from Russia, and moved to America at the age of twelve. My native family is from America back in the 1800's, but they just moved to Russia. That doesn't really make us a complete Russian blood line. It's not like I evolved into a natural Russian, because honestly my native family is from America, we just learned the Russian traits and ways... And that's all I have been taught...

But enough of bloodlines and traits and evolving...
Things may get a little far as much as an altercation...

Nobodies perfect...