Is There Anything I Can Do About This?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Is There Anything I Can Do About This?

Post by Edme1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 am

My butterfly has recently emerged from its cocoon (thanks for identifying the species, Croix!) Unfortunately, I was out of the house at the time, and the container didn't have the proper room for it to stretch its wings out. Now, its wings have hardened in a wrinkled position instead of spreading out. It hasn't tried flying yet, as far as I know, and I doubt that it can fly. Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Nordue

Re: Is There Anything I Can Do About This?

Post by Nordue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 am

• A quick Google search allowed me to find this eHow article on how to care for a butterfly with crinkled wings. Imagine, an eHow article for this!

Anyway, here's the key points I found:
Once the wing are completely dry, they are set and nothing can be done to straighten them. You can, however, provide the butterfly with a home and food for the rest of its life.
When you have a butterfly with crinkled wings, it's best to take it in and provide a home for it. A large clear container or cage with mesh screen will keep the butterfly out of trouble. Place plenty of leaves, flowers and twigs in the cage for the butterfly to cling to and crawl over. Feed the butterfly with a solution of 2 parts honey and 8 parts water. Soak a sponge in the solution and place it in the cage. The butterfly should find it and start drinking the fluid.
  • Source: http://www.ehow.com/info_8757961_do-do- ... wings.html

I don't know if you were ever planning to release your butterfly Edme1, but it looks like you have a moral decision on you hands. You can either directly care for the butterfly for the rest of its natural life, or release it into the wild where it will surely not last long on its own. Sounds heavy, but there's not really another way to say it :| .

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Alright, thanks! Yes, I doubted it would survive in the wild, so I'll have to think on that decision. Thanks again for the info, Tonbei!
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 am

• No problem Edme1, it's the least I could do :) .