Pine Trees (Christmas Trees)

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Pine Trees (Christmas Trees)

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Some interesting facts about Pine Trees.

ehow wrote:Characteristics
Pine trees have long, needle-like leaves, and produce cones for reproduction. The branches grow out of the trunk in a whirl-like pattern. Pine seeds from the cones feed local wildlife, such as squirrels and birds. Some pines reach several hundred feet in height, and can survive for over 4,000 years. Others may live less than 50 years. Pine trees grow rapidly, and mature specimens range in height from 15 to several hundred feet tall.

Uses
Homeowners commonly plant pines for windbreaks or privacy screens. Pine trees are used for timber and wood pulp production. Pines are popular as Christmas trees, and the cones and boughs are also used in Christmas decorations. Furniture, railroad ties and ship masts are all produced from pines. Nuts from the pine can be used in cooking and baking.

Reproduction
Pine trees produce both male and female cones. Both kinds of cone are produced on the same plant, but they look quite different from each other: the female cone appears woodier. Pollen from the male cone pollinates the female cone, which then produces seeds. The seeds are "winged," so that they can be carried by the wind when they are released from the cone. Although pine seeds may float some distance, most new trees grow within 90 feet from the original tree.

Popular pines
Some of the more popular pines found in the United States include the white pines. White pines are a popular tree for woodworking, and also a popular landscape tree. Giant pines include the sugar pine, longleaf pine, and yellow pine. These are commonly used for masts on large ships. The bristlecone pine is a shorter tree that is popular in rock gardens. Ponderosa pine trees are some of the most popular trees, and are used in landscaping all over the United States, in many more locations than all other pine trees.

Culture
Pine trees are highly drought-tolerant and can thrive in a number of soil types, although they prefer acidic, well-drained soil. They also prefer full sun. Pines are easily destroyed by fire, because of their shallow root system and thin bark. But some species, such as the bristlecone pine, are native to climates with short growing seasons and much colder temperatures, and are therefore not in much danger from fires. Pines grow at elevations from sea level to just under 13,000 feet.

Source: http://www.ehow.com/about_6387458_inter ... trees.html

I really love pine trees, I like the stickiness that you get when you touch one, I love the little cones, I love everything about them.
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70592

wolfpackatdawn101
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Pine Trees (Christmas Trees)

Post by wolfpackatdawn101 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Wow those are great facts, I'll post more if i have any facts for you :wink:.

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”