Strangest Fish In The World

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Strangest Fish In The World

Post by wolfman200789 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:36 am

SandStorm01 wrote:This topic is to discuss what YOUR opinion is on the strangest fish in the world. What is the fish? Why do you think it is the strangest? Discuss that here. Enjoy!

Parrot Fish
Its weird because its teeth never stop growing and makes it look like a beaver... And I HATE beavers they look like they could gnaw a man's head off.
correction the parrot fish is nothing like a beaver.(beavers are cool the are natures loggers. there dams and loges are responsable for creating natral ponds that in turn provides food and homes for fish,waterfowl,etc. Witch t also provides plentiful food sources for predoters such as fish eating eagles,ospreys,etc.)Anyway just because im saying its not like beaver does not mean its not strange. Its got a mouth like a parrots beak. The mouth is speacialy designed to ground up hard coral. Coral reefs are seriously alive. Inside a peice of coral are many tiny polyps. over hundreds of years time the polyps pruduse an exoskeloten like an insect has. The exoskeleton of this tiny creature is what makes up coral reefs. The parot fish eat the coral,digest the polyps,then poop out the hard coral in the form of tiny white grains of sand.

Anyway the strangest fish to me is the deep sea angler fish. Almost everybody has heard this. Its even appeared in a scene from disneys finding nemo. Though all those angler fish are girls. Males look like and for a long time were thought to be of a speperate species. Though the female is only big enough to fit in your hand the males are much smaller. Their only purpose in life is to pass on their genes. When they find a female the bite her,latch on and remain their for life. After a while he is nothing but a lump of skin and organs. They even end up sharing blood circulation. Its one weird fish if you ask me.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm

I have to agree with Wolfman...Those things are creepy.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Hmm. Odd creature that I have never heard of before.. I actually wouldn't mind learning more about them. ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Briggs
Pup
Pup

Post by Briggs » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm

I agree, the Parrot fish is quite strange.
Also the Snake head fish, it can walk on hand
-----------------------˚˚B R I G G S˚˚---------------------------------
º |Don't Believe In You, Believe In Me Who Believes In You| º
--------------------------Originally Joined WQ In 2007

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:35 am

Here is a link about the parrot fish.. you may change your vote in what fish is weirdest once you read this. ^^
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/a ... rrot-fish/
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:42 am

BlackWarrior wrote:Here is a link about the parrot fish.. you may change your vote in what fish is weirdest once you read this. ^^
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/a ... rrot-fish/
My vote hasn't changed. That's nothing compared the the angular fish lol.

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:45 pm

I'd say the strangest fish in the world is the coelacanth. Its backbone is filled with oil or something and it has lobbed fins and a tail of, something I dont even know how to describe. A coelacanth's lobbed fins kinda look like arms with fins on them and it looks like they have 4 legs. They're 6-feet long and eat baby sharks. And the wierdest part I think is its blue, brown, black and white scales. Its a mess of colors! Well, I call it the link to water and land because they swim, but they look like they have legs.
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Koroda wrote:I'd say the strangest fish in the world is the coelacanth. Its backbone is filled with oil or something and it has lobbed fins and a tail of, something I dont even know how to describe. A coelacanth's lobbed fins kinda look like arms with fins on them and it looks like they have 4 legs. They're 6-feet long and eat baby sharks. And the wierdest part I think is its blue, brown, black and white scales. Its a mess of colors! Well, I call it the link to water and land because they swim, but they look like they have legs.
coelacanth is a normal fish compared to others. Lots of fish have fins like that. However to call it the link to water and land is highly incorrect. Even after 60 million years it still remains in the ocean while true land-water links actually managed to grow true legs and go on shore. Like this ancient but extinct creature called Tiktaalik
Tiktaalik roseae, better known as the "fishapod," is a 375 million year old fossil fish which was discovered in the Canadian Arctic in 2004. Its discovery sheds light on a pivotal point in the history of life on Earth: when the very first fish ventured out onto land.

Tiktaalik has a mix of fish and amphibian traits

Tiktaalik looks like a cross between the primitive fish it lived amongst and the first four-legged animals (a group called "tetrapods" from tetra-, meaning four, and -pod, meaning foot. Actually, all animals that descended from these pioneer amphibians, can be called tetrapods). Tiktaalik lived about 12 million years before the first tetrapods (which are approximately 363 million years old). So, the existence of tetrapod features in a fish like Tiktaalik is significant because it marks the earliest appearance of these novel features in the fossil record.

Even now there are stranger fish that better fit your description. Such as the mudskipper.
Unlike most fish, mudskippers spend much of their life OUT of water! How do they do it? Mudskippers are fish and so they have gills. Once out of the water, their gills begin to dry out and stick together, so mudskippers have a special cavity behind their ears where sea water is stored. As they rotate their eyes, pressure is applied to that cavity and this reoxygenates the stored water, lubricates the gill flaps and restores the gills to their normal function.

Mudskippers have highly modified large pectoral (front) fins which are used like legs. Instead of swimming like most fish, mudskippers use their pectoral fins to walk on land and under the water.

these two strange species i think would better fit that discription
The coelacanth (pronounced like "see-la-kanth"), is nicknamed "old fourlegs". It is a close relative of the ancestor of all tetrapods (four-legged creatures), including Homo sapiens.
Coelacanths are well known from the fossil record of 400 million to 75 million years ago. Several species have been identified among the finds.

Coelacanths were thought to be extinct until 1938, when one was caught off the coast of South Africa. A long search for their home ended in 1952, when they were found in the Comoro Archipelago. The species of these coelacanths is Latimeria chalumnae.

In 1998, a new species was identified when a population of coelacanths was found near Indonesia. This new species is known as the menado coelacanth (Latimeria menadoensis).

In 1975, it was discovered that the coelacanth is a live-bearer (as opposed to an egg-bearer) when a 1.5 m-long (5 ft.) mother was found to contain five young that were each a perfect 30 cm-long (1 ft.) miniature of the adult.

Adult coelacanths average 1.5 m (5 ft.) in length, and weigh about 45 kg (100 lb.). They are steel blue in colour.
though it is a reletive to the ancestors of tetropods. it is not a true tetropod. so it would be sort of incorrect to call it the link between land and water. Though still that does not mean it's not strange since it kind of is unusual.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:31 pm

The mudfish sounds interesting. ^^

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:47 pm

I agree. The Mudskipper does seem interesting. I have never heard of a fish like that!
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Heres another unusual fish. It has the body of an eel and the mouth of a pelican.

The gulper eel, known scientifically as Eurypharynx pelecanoides, is one of the most bizarre looking creatures in the deep sea. Its most notable attribute is the large mouth. This enormous mouth is much larger than the eel's body. The mouth is loosely hinged, and can be opened wide enough to swallow an animal much larger than itself. The hapless fish is then deposited into a pouch-like lower jaw, which resembles that of a pelican. In fact, this eel issometimes referred to as the pelican eel. The gulper's stomach can also stretch to accommodate its large meals. This giant mouth gives the eel its other common name of umbrella mouth gulper.The gulper eel is much different in appearance than most other eel species. Its pectoral fins are so tiny as to be almost nonexistent. Unlike many other deep sea creatures, it has very small eyes. It is believed that the eyes evolved to detect faint traces of light rather than form images. The gulper eel also has a very long, whip-like tail. Specimens that have been brought to the surface in fishing nets have been known to have their long tails tied into several knots. The eel uses its long tail for movement. The end of the tail is tipped with a light-producing organ known as a photophore. Through a process known as bioluminescence, the photophore glows pink and can give off occasional red flashes. Since the eel's body is not built for chasing prey, It is believed that the eel uses this light as a fishing lure to attract fish and other creatures close to its enormous mouth. When the prey is in range, the eel lunges and snaps is up in its gigantic mouth. The gulper eel can vary in length from three to six feet (about one to two meters). It is usually black or dark green in color and sometimes has a white line or groove on either side of the dorsal fin.

In spite of its gigantic mouth, it is believed that the gulper eel's diet consists mainly of small crustaceans. Since the eel has very tiny teeth, it probably does not eat large fish on a regular basis. The large mouth may be an adaptation to allow the eel to eat a wider variety of prey when food is scarce. It can also be used like a large net. The eel can swim into a large groups of shrimp or other crustaceans with its mouth wide open, scooping them up as it goes. The gulper eel is also known to feed on cephalopods (squid) and other small invertebrates. When the eel gulps its prey into its massive jaws, it also takes in a large amount of water, which is then slowly expelled through its gill slits. Gulper eels themselves are preyed upon by lancet fish and other deep sea predators.

Not much is known about the reproductive habits of the gulper eel. We do know that as they mature, the males undergo a change that causes enlargement of the olfactory organs, responsible for the sense of smell, and degeneration of the teeth and jaws. The females, on the other hand, remain relatively unchanged as they mature. The large olfactory organs in the males indicates that they may locate their mates through pheromones released by the females. Many researchers believe that the eels die shortly after reproduction.

Because of the extreme depths at which it lives, most of what we know about the gulper eel comes from specimens that are inadvertently caught in deep sea fishing nets. The gulper eel is found in all of the world's tropical and temperate oceans at depths ranging from 500 to 6,000 feet (about 150 to 1,800 meters).
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... e-se41.jpg

LeaderOfDreams
Yearling
Yearling

Post by LeaderOfDreams » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:35 pm

All fish are somewhat strange in my opinion. Orandas are my favourite, they are simple and you can buy them something like buying a goldfish but with a filter ect. I just love how big their heads and faces are. Apart from the fact they are epically cute c:

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 pm

I was reading a magazine that told about the blob fish. I was like, that is disgusting. The blob fish is technically a blob of goo. It is just so... gross... unusual... interesting... I actually like the uniqueness (is that even a word) of this fish. I hope this is actually a fish, cause it is just strange...
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

pengo123
Pup
Pup

Post by pengo123 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: koroda wrote:

I was reading a magazine that told about the blob fish. I was like, that is disgusting. The blob fish is technically a blob of goo. It is just so... gross... unusual... interesting... I actually like the uniqueness (is that even a word) of this fish. I hope this is actually a fish, cause it is just strange...
With your heart you want...

Yes it is kind of a fish i have saw one they look like a jellyfish but a blob of goo at the same time there VERY strange animals I have never seen something more strange! :shock:
Wolflove

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 pm

pengo123 wrote:
Re: koroda wrote:

With your heart you want...

Yes it is kind of a fish i have saw one they look like a jellyfish but a blob of goo at the same time there VERY strange animals I have never seen something more strange! :shock:
I believe you are talking about the fathead fish. It is a real fish, and a very recent discovery by scientists. I know, it is kind of gross, but cool too!
http://kidsblogs.nationalgeographic.com ... blobby.jpg
There's a picture of one. :shock:
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck