Opinions on Fishing: Discuss

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Opinions on Fishing: Discuss

Post by failwolf56 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:06 pm

Fishing has been named a some-what controversial topic. Many claim it brings them closer to nature, while others against it say that it is cruel and inhuman. I myself fish frequently with my father, and enjoy doing so. What are everyone's opinions on the subject? Are you "for" it, or do you find it unethical and such?
Nov. 2011 UotM

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Opinions on Fishing: Discuss

Post by Croix » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:03 pm

I am perfectly okay with fishing.
I am more of a catch and release kind of fisher, but it doesn't really bother me when I have to sacrafice a fish or two to get my hook back. Sure, I feel bad, but what is one little fish going to do to the entire poplulation?
If it is say, a heavily pregnant female, I usually attempt to be more careful.

I'm pretty satisfied when my catch gets to be supper for the night, I don't do it very often though, usually when it's a controlled population will be the only time that I will take a few fish home.

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Croix wrote:I am perfectly okay with fishing.
I am more of a catch and release kind of fisher, but it doesn't really bother me when I have to sacrafice a fish or two to get my hook back. Sure, I feel bad, but what is one little fish going to do to the entire poplulation?
If it is say, a heavily pregnant female, I usually attempt to be more careful.

I'm pretty satisfied when my catch gets to be supper for the night, I don't do it very often though, usually when it's a controlled population will be the only time that I will take a few fish home.
Yes, I'm usually a catch and release fisher, when it comes to freshwater fish. However, in the summer, my father and I take our boat out (if we have time) and go Striper fishing. If the Striper is large enough, we usually bring it home for dinner.
Nov. 2011 UotM

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:22 pm

I am all for fishing depending on whitch kind were talking about. Fishing with a huge boat net im kind of against becuase overtime it would do a little more damage to take big scoops from the ocean compared to one by one rod and reel. Rod and reel iseasyer to control for example here in washington state their are laws that prohibit the take of bull trout as it is both a native species and an endagered species here in the state. There is a bull trout copy cat in th state,its the eastern brook trout an invasive species imported from the eastern states and pose a threat to the survival of the bull trout. Though this copy cat has a few differences. For one it has black spots on the fins were as the bulltrout does not. The book a got that mentions this in a way is like a rulebook for fishing.It comes with a liscence. I know this because I am now a fully licesnced fishermen even though im at the age of fifteen. The law here is if your fifteen and over get a liscence or else call yourself a poacher.The book that I got this info from had a little rhyme to help people remember. "No Black Put It Back!"
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:23 am

I love to fish. Fresh water fishing, salt water fishing, you name it. I prefer salt water fishing over fresh water, however, because of the much larger variety of things you can catch. If the catch is endangered, that's another story.

We have two ponds at my dad's house, one with bass and another wit catfish, so we fish frequently. Can't do it too much or the fish will catch on to the fishing and not bite the hooks. We mostly release them back.

When I go down to Florida, however, I've caught bonnet-head sharks, sheephead, snappers, goliath groupers, salt water catfish, and quite a few others.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:34 am

Redsky wrote:I love to fish. Fresh water fishing, salt water fishing, you name it. I prefer salt water fishing over fresh water, however, because of the much larger variety of things you can catch. If the catch is endangered, that's another story.

We have two ponds at my dad's house, one with bass and another wit catfish, so we fish frequently. Can't do it too much or the fish will catch on to the fishing and not bite the hooks. We mostly release them back.

When I go down to Florida, however, I've caught bonnet-head sharks, sheephead, snappers, goliath groupers, salt water catfish, and quite a few others.
Mhh, I really do love the diversity that you get in salt water fishing, but at heart I'm a fresh water fisherman.

And you are so lucky to have ponds at your house, I have to go through the woods around my house to find this very, very small stream where I fish with the simple worm on a bobber. I really envy you, I wish I had a pond with bass in my backyard. Are the small or big mouth?

Additionally, I understand about not wanting to over-fish the ponds. I have the same problem when I go fishing off the dock at my camp in the summer. The fish start to get accustomed to fishing, and they wont bite. They're only little crappies, so it's not a huge deal, but still.
Nov. 2011 UotM

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 am

I almost got a chance to fish the large Green River yesterday. Sadly I fell ill the day before and it has been slowly getting worse. In fact I would be at school by now if it was not for this sudden illness. Its sad because its the one weekend in a while when it has not been raining. I have been dying to fish the river as it has been known to hold some amazing fish. Check out this monster fish someone cought on this river on december 6th 2011. I would love to catch a fish this big.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... erchum.jpg
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:40 pm

There's nothing wrong with fishing. I go fishing with my father. If we catch one, we usually release it back into the water.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:04 pm

wolfman200789 wrote:I almost got a chance to fish the large Green River yesterday. Sadly I fell ill the day before and it has been slowly getting worse. In fact I would be at school by now if it was not for this sudden illness. Its sad because its the one weekend in a while when it has not been raining. I have been dying to fish the river as it has been known to hold some amazing fish. Check out this monster fish someone cought on this river on december 6th 2011. I would love to catch a fish this big.

Woahh, I wish I had a river like that where I lived. Unfortunately, the fish in the rivers where I live have to deal with colder weather, and therefore don't grow as large. I'm hoping to take another Southern trip, and go fishing down there. I've been down near Florida, and around that area, where I went fishing with my dad. I absolutely love it, the fish you catch as HUGE. Ahh, well hopefully you get to try again soon^^
Nov. 2011 UotM

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:47 am

failwolf56 wrote:
wolfman200789 wrote:I almost got a chance to fish the large Green River yesterday. Sadly I fell ill the day before and it has been slowly getting worse. In fact I would be at school by now if it was not for this sudden illness. Its sad because its the one weekend in a while when it has not been raining. I have been dying to fish the river as it has been known to hold some amazing fish. Check out this monster fish someone cought on this river on december 6th 2011. I would love to catch a fish this big.

Woahh, I wish I had a river like that where I lived. Unfortunately, the fish in the rivers where I live have to deal with colder weather, and therefore don't grow as large. I'm hoping to take another Southern trip, and go fishing down there. I've been down near Florida, and around that area, where I went fishing with my dad. I absolutely love it, the fish you catch as HUGE. Ahh, well hopefully you get to try again soon^^
Actually I live in washington state. The climate varys depending on your location in the state. On the west side were I live it rains a lot and is quite cold. Last night I left fries in the car by mistake. Got them out this morning and the cold weather acted like a fridge as the fries were extremly cold. Though on the east side it becomes warm, dry, and very windy. In the middle there almost always snow. theres a mountain range there. Mt.Raineer in the middle of the state is one of our tallest,coldest,and snowyest mountains and in fact in reality its a valcano. I guess the fish here can be so big because they got such a varied habitat. Not only that but the green river i believe drains into the ocean so that may be one cause.

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:09 pm

You're still pretty far south compared to me. I'm over in Vermont, so it's always cold up here. And it definately does have something to do with the river draining into the ocean. Fish can swim up the river, from the ocean, which might be the cause of finding a lot of huge fish. Also, if the river has a lot of nutrients in/around it, fish tend to grow larger from eating more. xD So, there are many different causes why it could have such large fish.
Nov. 2011 UotM

Black Velvet
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Black Velvet » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:23 pm

I'm okay with fishing. I usually throw them back after I caught them. I do not think I have ever caught a fish and took it home to eat it or put it on a plack as a trophie. The pulbic fishing spots usually make us put the fish back after we caught it. There are some places that will let you take them home only if they are a certain size.

Some of my favorite fishes to catch are large-mouth bass, catfish, and the small freshwater sunfish. Whenver we would go fishing, we would sometimes like to play a game to see who would catch the biggest fish. One of my cousins caught a great big catfish, It was at least 2 feet in lenght. They were the winner of the game that day :D
Black velvet and that little boy's smile
Black velvet with that slow southern style
A new religion that'll bring ya to your knees
Black velvet if you please
-Alannah Myles

Author of "Silent Meadows"

monkfishlover
Pup
Pup

Post by monkfishlover » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:34 pm

I think it's fine as long as it is done responsibly and not excessively(which would hurt fish populations) and the person fishing doesn't fish for endangered species.

Fethrae
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Fethrae » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:28 pm

I was against the thought of fishing when I was younger, but now it's something i'd be open to. Not sure what to expect though! :lol: I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
☩● ғεтняaε ●☩