Egrets, Herons, etc...

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Egrets, Herons, etc...

Post by Quivira » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 am

Decided to make a topic on these guys.

Anyone love these stocky, long-legged birds? I sure do!

I saw tons of them while in Florida; they tend to like stealing your fish, along with the seagulls, pelicans, and cormorants.

Anyway, this topic will consist of the discussion of egrets, herons, and bitterns. (Excluding the Sun Bittern.)

More information on this family: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardeidae

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Egrets, Herons, etc...

Post by Sambhur » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Ahh, I love these guys, with their long necks~ It's quite interesting the way they just 'fold' their necks when flying. :L

I see quite a few of egrets and herons near where I live, probably because it's sort of close to a wetland. Even though when I do see them, it's wandering through tall grass. xD

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:02 pm

I see quite a few Great Blue Herons here- they fly over a lot when they go from the lake nearby to the forest. They're hard to miss. xD I usually see them in ponds by the side of the highways too.

Being in a state that's largely consisted of wetlands, it's quite the frequent site to see these kind of birds^^

Katemarie123
Pup
Pup

Post by Katemarie123 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:16 pm

When I go to florida I just love watching these birds.Here are some categories of florida birds that I just love watching:Ducks,geese,swans,tropical birds,cormorants,pelicans,herons,spoonbills,parrots,egrets,cranes.Do you like to see these birds to?
ɪ αℳ ∀ ϖ∅ʟƒ

greatdragon108
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by greatdragon108 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:31 pm

I see Great Blue Herons where I live, in Nova Scotia, where there is a lake just a short walk from my house. I love these birds, and I find them quite striking. I wish we could have sandhill cranes here, but the climate would probably be a problem and they would either become a problem and start invading like the Polygonum cuspidatum ( Japanese Knotweed) or completely die out. Not quite sure because i've never looked into it. :?
Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.

Alfred A. Montapert
This was odd because there was a picture of a crab along with this post.

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Blue Herons, Lesser and Greater, Have always been a favorite bird of mine. In the park by my house there is a 150 year old tree, pine of some sort, and it has at least 5 heron nests. I often find skewered fish on the ground in the park.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:30 pm

So I just remembered something that I always found fascinating about herons and egrets- their necks.

Take for example the green heron. It's like, how is that even real?

Also, bonus derp photo.

They are some pretty comical-looking birds.

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Post by twinlinskis » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 pm

boy, am i familiar with these little buggers. we often have an issue with egrets and blue herons here because they tend to hover around our tiny little pond in our backyard-- as opposed to the HUGE pond just beyond the fence, like.... look at that.... there's so many fish in there man just go... just go and be a bird somewhere else-- and eat all of our fish! just recently we lost a few of our goldfish and one or two of our smaller koi. i can't say that i'm fond of them, but i won't say that i hate them either; they have to eat, and even though we don't very much like them coming to our tiny pond for a quick meal, we never really bother them or chase them off (unless the dog happens to be let out while they're out there fishing for goldies. then lily charges at them at full speed while barking her head off and drooling everywhere).
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
............ ............
sig © twinlinskis

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:37 am

Yeah your pond is probably a pretty easy place for them to fish sadly. =/ I'm sorry that they're being punks like that.

They be adapting, the lazy bums.

Obedear
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Obedear » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:52 pm

I've seen herons around here. They fish in the creeks and ponds. I'm not very familiar with them in general, however.
Let me explain
This ugliness, this cruelty, this repulsiveness
It will all die out
And now, I cry for all that is beautiful