Magical animals? More like diseased animals.

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Magical animals? More like diseased animals.

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Salve, everyone! I have put together a list of commonly mistaken animal diseases for cryptozoological and mythical animals.

Chupacabra? More like a mangy coyote.
This is most common mistake. In pictures of hairless animals, people note that it's canine-like but think it's the cryptid chupacabra, wich roughly translates to "sucker of the goats."Coyotes (and other canines) get a disease called "mange", a furless disease. Other animals like felines get this, too. Once in 2010, a hairless animal was found. It was taken to a vet and proved it was a raccoon with mange. Mistakes like this happen often.

Unicorn? More like a single-horned ungulate.
The mythical unicorns were said to be pure white horses with a single horn coming from it's forehead. They only came to fair maidens and let the maidens stroke and befriend them. But of course, the unicorn doesn't exist. But there is a disease where horned animals, such as ibexes, grow with only one horn. It's a rare thing to happen, though.

These are all I could come up with. If you have anymore, share and I'll add it!
One raindrop among millions.

wolfyattitude
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Magical animals? More like diseased animals.

Post by wolfyattitude » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:17 am

It is said that the Loch Ness Monster is and eel with it's head above the water, but I'm not surem I hope not, I love Nessie!
╔═══════╗
████████
ÐEatнηΘ†E║
████████
████████
████████
████████
╚═══════╝

Avvie(c)Lupinzpack

lightshadowwolf223
Pup
Pup

Post by lightshadowwolf223 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:18 am

wolfyattitude wrote:It is said that the Loch Ness Monster is and eel with it's head above the water, but I'm not surem I hope not, I love Nessie!
I agree as for the chupacabra i'll never stop searching for one.:D And when i prove it exists the people on WQ will be the first to know. :mrgreen:
Hunting is not destruction and i get annoyed by people all ways going like: OOO your killing the animals!
I just say: No. its population managment, and could someone who hates animals know so much about them?

wolfloversk
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfloversk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Jackalopes: There's actually a disease (Shope papilloma virus) that causes growths to form on the head of the rabbit, which look remotely like antlers. Unfortunately it's usually fatal, and the animal is rendered unable to eat.
UotM of September 2011!

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
John Muir, "John of the Mountains" (1938)

Toralu
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Toralu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:34 am

Yeah I've heard of those C: They are quite strange but turns out their just normal animals.
...........T ● O ● R ● A ● L ● U
........“We are the music makers,
........and we are the dreamers of
.....................dreams”

.......................-Willy Wonka
..............Avvie (c) C-Lupus Sigge (c) Me

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks for posting, Oceansong-Direwolf! ^^ Guess you learn something new every day, eh? :3
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

lightshadowwolf223
Pup
Pup

Post by lightshadowwolf223 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:42 pm

I am going to soon upload my collection of monster sightings and photos to the web i will make sure to give a link!
Hunting is not destruction and i get annoyed by people all ways going like: OOO your killing the animals!
I just say: No. its population managment, and could someone who hates animals know so much about them?

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 pm

wolfloversk wrote:Jackalopes: There's actually a disease (Shope papilloma virus) that causes growths to form on the head of the rabbit, which look remotely like antlers. Unfortunately it's usually fatal, and the animal is rendered unable to eat.
Now that is very interesting. It's quite sad though... how rare is it? Or is it very common?
One raindrop among millions.

lightshadowwolf223
Pup
Pup

Post by lightshadowwolf223 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:07 am

Hers that link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67700617@N02/?saved=1

Please remember that these images are not mine. I will upload my own soon.

Hala
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Hala » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey there. This actually is about the unicorn. It isnt as mythical as people think. What was said about them being single-horned ungulate can be completly true but I have another explination.

There is a disease and I believe it is called Cutaneous Horns, which I believe is most common in humans but can exist in other mammal species (I dont believe it exists in anything other than mammals... Though reptiles can have horns of their own but that is natural for them). It is where a horn pretty much grows anywhere on their body. Foot. Hand/paw. Head. So I believe that the myth of the unicorn was started from a horse who had a Cutaneoous Horn.
※Hala※

lightshadowwolf223
Pup
Pup

Post by lightshadowwolf223 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:22 pm

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ff333

Lol if this was a dog with mange, that still does not explain its odd muzzle shape. The second i saw this picture i knew it wasn't simply mange.

Black Velvet
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Black Velvet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm

wolfloversk wrote:Jackalopes: There's actually a disease (Shope papilloma virus) that causes growths to form on the head of the rabbit, which look remotely like antlers. Unfortunately it's usually fatal, and the animal is rendered unable to eat.
:shock: How awful! I never heard of such a thing before, but I guess that's where the legend sprouted... no pun inteded.

And as for that disease for the unicorns, I do remember seeing a goat with one horn on his forehead somewhere. I think I saw a wax figure of it in the Dallas Wax Museum's Ripley's Believe It Or Not' exhibit.
Black velvet and that little boy's smile
Black velvet with that slow southern style
A new religion that'll bring ya to your knees
Black velvet if you please
-Alannah Myles

Author of "Silent Meadows"

Kyrarah

Post by Kyrarah » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Hum... What about were wolves? Oh, las, thank you for sharing this with us. c:

Hala
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Hala » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 pm

The legend of were wolves is an easy one... The is a condition where a person can be born with extra hair, like an animal would be... It is known as hypertrichosis, or also simply Werewolf Syndrome.

There is also a condition to explain vampires... I forget the name of the condition and I don't know how to explain it well but it would require a person to prettymuch drink blood or their body would turn against them. I think there is also something about sensitivity to light... I will try to find more on this later.
※Hala※

greatdragon108
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by greatdragon108 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:47 am

Wow, the thing about werewolves I knew, but the vampire it completly new to me. I searched it up, it's called Porphyria. Nothing about blood, but the victims often suffer from psychotic behavior and hallucinations. The sunlight part is true though. :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria
Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.

Alfred A. Montapert
This was odd because there was a picture of a crab along with this post.