'Penguins starving due to climate change'

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Zethra

'Penguins starving due to climate change'

Post by Zethra » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:13 am

Falling populations of penguins in the West Antarctic Peninsula are being driven by a reduction of their main food source, Antarctic krill, according to a new study.

As a result, species such as the chinstrap penguin are much more vulnerable to a warming climate than previously thought, say U.S. scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

"Long thought to be ecological winners in the climate-warming scenario, the chinstrap penguin instead may be among the most vulnerable species affected by a warming climate," wrote the authors of a study appearing this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

The scientists have been monitoring colonies of chinstrap penguins (Pygoscelis Antarctica) and the Adélie penguin (Pygoscelis adeliae) in the West Antarctic Peninsula and Scotia Sea for thirty years.

Over this time they noted that populations of both species declined by more than 50 per cent, with fewer juveniles surviving and returning to breed.

In the past, the decline has been attributed to reductions of winter sea ice in the West Antarctic Peninsula, one of the fastest warming areas on the planet, having a direct impact on the penguin's habitat.

While this theory would explain the decline of Adélie penguins that forage from ice packs in winter, it doesn't explain why populations of chinstrap penguins, which forage in ice-free water in winter, are also falling.

Instead, the scientists suggest that changes in penguin populations are linked with changes to their main food source, Antarctic krill (Euphasia superba) due to reduced winter sea ice coverage and an increase in interspecies competition.
Main food source

Penguins developed an appetite for krill as their food of choice when other krill-eating predators such as whales and fur seals were heavily hunted. During this time penguin populations flourished.

But as the populations of whales and fur seals have recovered over the last three decades, the numbers of penguins have dropped as they compete for krill. At the same time, the West Antarctic Peninsula has seen a rapid decline in winter sea ice, necessary for krill to thrive.

"Krill density [in this region] has declined by about 80 per cent from the mid 1970s and this decline is associated with reductions in sea ice," the researchers wrote.

"The decline in the reproductive capacity of the krill population, associated with the overall decline in sea ice, suggests that food resources for penguins and other predators may continue to decline in the near future."

The scientists said this will have a critical impact on chinstrap penguins, which breed almost exclusively in the West Antarctic Peninsula and Scotia Sea.

"Unlike Adélie penguins, which may be buffered by large, stable populations in the Ross Sea and Indian Ocean sector of Antarctica, chinstrap penguins have no southern breeding refuges," they wrote.
Not affecting whole ecosystem

Louise Emmerson from the Australian Antarctic Division, has been studying Adélie penguin populations in East Antarctica, which she says are currently increasing.

But she says this latest research clearly shows populations on the West Antarctic Peninsula are experiencing dramatic declines.

"What is very clear is that there have been increases of air temperature and decreases in sea ice and changes in some penguin populations [in the West Antarctic Peninsula]. If those changes in sea ice result in changes in krill availability, then that will have ramifications," said Emmerson.

"Whether we see a shift towards other species or whether we see a decline across the board is something that will only become apparent in time."

While Adélie and chinstrap populations are declining in the West Antarctic Peninsula, Emmerson says that populations of gentoo penguins, fur seals and whale populations are increasing in the same area.

"So there's obviously food out there for some species," she said.

"Whether we're having a shift in the relative population abundances for different species or whether there's an overall decline in the krill remains to be seen.

"You would expect that if sea ice had an overall negative impact on krill, and the total amount of krill dropped very dramatically then it would affect the entire ecosystem.

"At the moment it doesn't seem like all populations are crashing, but it could just be the start of it."
Source - http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... hange.html
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

wolfyattitude
Yearling
Yearling

Re: 'Penguins starving due to climate change'

Post by wolfyattitude » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 am

That's a shame. I've loved penguins since I saw the movie ''Happy Feet''
╔═══════╗
████████
ÐEatнηΘ†E║
████████
████████
████████
████████
╚═══════╝

Avvie(c)Lupinzpack

MarionettePuppe
Pup
Pup

Post by MarionettePuppe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:29 pm

This is definitely a very big change for the chinstraps and the Adélie penguins. Poor souls.

I really hope that this kind of climate change doesn't continue on so harshly, but I'm afraid that it will - it might even get worse, but god knows that that's the last thing we, or the penguins, need. :/ It's not only a shame for the penguins but also for the other predators of krill, and the krill themselves.

It's not until articles like these pop up that I realize just how serious the warming climate can be for animals like the Adélie and chinstrap penguins.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. "
-- Edgar Allan Poe.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:15 pm

It's really a shame ot hear penguins are starving due to climate change. I'm hoping people can ebcome more aware of this, and the penguin population doesn't drop too drastically.
Thanks for sharing!
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Oh, poor penguins! I hope they make it. And if they don't, we'll be telling our grandchildren about "magnificent birds that lived in 2011 and they could not fly, but swim. If only they weren't extinct." Please... Penquins... You can make it...
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

dougwolve
Pup
Pup

Post by dougwolve » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:53 am

wolfyattitude wrote:That's a shame. I've loved penguins since I saw the movie ''Happy Feet''
that was a good movie anyways thanks for telling us
youtube account: Faithdougwolve

FB:DougWolve

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:51 am

Alpha Female wrote:It's really a shame ot hear penguins are starving due to climate change. I'm hoping people can ebcome more aware of this, and the penguin population doesn't drop too drastically.
Thanks for sharing!
I agree with Alpha F. I hope that the populations don't drop too low..! This is a sad disappointing article to hear about but thank you for sharing. ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Kyrarah

Post by Kyrarah » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Those beautiful animals... That's a huge shame. I hope someone be able to do something soon to help them (Probably they are doing). I hope we can save them before it be too late. Thanks for sharing this, Ares!

greatdragon108
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by greatdragon108 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:55 pm

If only people cared less about coloured paper we call "money" and more about what we are doing to the Earth. I know there are many people working hard to reverse and prevent our destruction of the planet, but there needs to be more. "Liking" something on facebook does not change things, but I will say Social media is the first step to get the word out. Then we can get of our couch and do something to contribute, so spread the word, and something good may happen.
Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.

Alfred A. Montapert
This was odd because there was a picture of a crab along with this post.