Feral Cats Responsible for Extinctions

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Feral Cats Responsible for Extinctions

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:58 pm

480 million birds killed by feral cats each year
A new report has put the annual economic loss from feral cat predation on birds in the US at a staggering $17billion.

The report, Feral Cats And Their Management, analyses existing research on management of the burgeoning feral cat population - over 60 million and counting - in the United States, including the controversial practice of Trap, Neuter, Release (TNR).

Trap, Neuter & Release doesn't work

‘This report is a must read for any community or government official thinking about what to do about feral cats. It encapsulates the extensive research on this subject and draws conclusions based on that data. Not surprisingly, the report validates everything the American Bird Conservancy (ABC) has been saying about the feral cat issue for many years, namely TNR doesn't work in controlling feral cat populations,' said Darin Schroeder, Vice President for Conservation Advocacy for American Bird Conservancy, US's leading bird conservation organization.

'These animals live short, miserable lives'
‘Communities seeking a solution to their feral cat problems need to consider the science on the issue and the well being of animals impacted by feral cats as well as the cats themselves. These other animals - birds especially - don't deserve to die at the hands of a predator introduced into their environment by irresponsible pet owners.

‘A humane decision-making process on this issue must also recognise that feral cats live short, miserable lives because of disease, other predators, severe weather and traffic hazards. Their life expectancy is about one third as long as owned cats,' Schroeder added.

More than 30 bird species have been wiped out
A key finding of the report was the statement by the authors that they do not recommend the TNR method to eliminate colonies of feral cats. In their extensive research, they were unable to find a single real-world example of TNR succeeding in eliminating a feral cat colony.
Some of the many findings of the report include:
  • * Feral cats are invasive and pose a threat to native fauna and public health.
    * Three separate studies showed that most feral cats (62 to 80 per cent) carry the parasite responsible for toxoplasmosis - a condition of special concern to pregnant women.
    * Cats are responsible for the extinction of at least 33 species of birds.
    * Feral cats kill an estimated 480 million birds in the US each year.
    * Feeding feral cats encourages them to congregate which encourages the chances of diseases being transmitted.
    * The supplemental feeding of feral cats should be prohibited.
    * Cats will kill wildlife no matter how well they are fed.
Source: http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/feral-cat-US.html

This is quite stunning to hear about. I didn't expect feral cats to be a cause of extinction for bird species, let alone 30 species. It's quite shocking to me, and hopefully they can help do something about these cats.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

SolitaryPride
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: Feral Cats Responsible for Extinctions

Post by SolitaryPride » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 pm

This really is interesting and disturbing. I am a big cat lover my self, I was raised with cats. And to know that cats are responsible for extinctions, it's sad
I recently caught five kittens from under my schools portables, I didn't want them to grow up wild. The schoolon the other hand didn't want me to take them before they were 'school property' and that they wanted them there is keep the mice population down. Wow 6-7 wild cats in a small area catching mice, they would move off and create more cats. Though when I finally did get the school to let me take them, we took them and the mom to get spayed and neutered along with some of our other cats, then released the mom back at the school. Unfortunately the clinic must have been caring a diease there called Distemper, and every cat we took in has died, except one, though we don't quite know about the mother. That was truely heart wrenching

Though through experince, it's possible that some of these feral cats could have some human interaction and aren't truly wild, those ones could be saved if they were given shots for possible dieases. In my opinion, I would try to save as many as these cats as I could if they are going to kill them all
------------__/\
-------__/------\
------\___------\
---------- /------\
---------/--------\
---------\--------/
----------/-------\
------/\-/---------\
-----/--\'\__--__/
-----\______/
~Matue
African Stars Pack
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Originally: Dacoda
Avvie: Koa

IndianWolves
Pup
Pup
Location: Howling at the moon with Wolves , Comanches ,and Apaches!

Post by IndianWolves » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:33 pm

This shows how irresponsinsible some pet owners are. I have a cat and has NEVER caght a bird but she is AWESOME at catching mice and rats. Schools are also irrresponsible why would a school keep cats around for a mouse problem ecspessialy if they were feeding them cats won't hunt if they are already fed.
hi-la-hi ka-li-i hi-a da-na-wa-nv-ne-hi a-le a-la-s-di i-tsu-la
Go through the warpath and fight together.
CHEROKEE

I'm A mixed up Native American got a problem ?

-Ratchet
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Ratchet » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Wow, that is really shocking. It is really sad to see that there is that many feral cats, and shocking to see how many bird species have been wiped out because of them.
Gone.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:06 pm

It's a shame that irresponsiblity causes trouble with it being so common, but it is reality and it is unfortunate.

I've never really thought about the effect these feral creatures had on the birds, either, so thank you for giving us a different view on the situation. (:
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Wow, thirty species of birds? It's hard to believe that feral cats are such a nuisance to the population of entire species, although many shelters and veterinary offices are promoting the TNR method in the city that I live in too.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:34 am

Wow, this is incredibly interesting! Did not know that Feral cat could be such a nuisance to various species, causing extinctions. Although it is rather saddening to hear that cats causing these issues, as I'm quite a big cat fan. Plus, its stunning to see how much birds have been affected, I mean, 480 million birds within the US each year? Thats amazing. Overall, thank you for sharing this article, very interesting to read!
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”