Gone Forever: History of the Thylacine

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature & Wildlife Photography forum to submit your own wildlife photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Gone Forever: History of the Thylacine

Post by Crocotto » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:35 pm

The thylacine was a large, carnivorous, canine-like marsupial, commonly known as the Tasmanian Tiger or Tasmanian Wolf. At one time, it and it's close relatives were the most common carnivores on both the Australian Mainland, and it's surrounding island. But then, over the coarse of several dozen thousand years; an entire group of unique animals was wiped out. Gone forever...

How did this happen? Despite what a read of this thread may think, not many people; both in and outside of Australia; know the full story of this lost species. So I am here to help. This is a summarized time line of the thylacine, from it's early evolution; to it's near extinction, to it's temporary comeback; and then, to it's ultimate demise. Here is part one, which deals with the species role in prehistory

-45 to 30 million years ago-
Australia breaks off from Gondwana and becomes isolated. Since placental mammals never succeed in concurring the continent, the marsupials and reptiles dominate

-23 million years ago-
The first member of the thylacine family, Nimbacinus arises in Northern Australia. Being small in size, only about the size of a gray fox, it lives in the shadow of the giant carnivorous reptiles, such as land crocodiles; that were the largest carnivores in the region. This species was one of the 'first wave' of carnivorous marsupials

-12 million years ago-
With the climate changing, some of the reptiles move south; leaving a void for the role of alpha predator in Northern Australia. The thylacines occupy this niche, giving rise to the ancestor of the modern thylacine. It's scientific name was Thylacinus potens, which literally translates as 'Powerful' or 'Mighty Thylacine'.
The largest member of it's family, this species could approach the size of a small leopard.

-8 million years ago-
Faced with an ever changing environment and the return of the giant reptiles. The Powerful Thylacine was faced with a choice. Change, or extinction. And over the coarse of 4 million years, change it did

-4 million years ago-
The modern thylacine first arises in what is now Queensland and rapidly spreads throughout Australia, even reaching Tasmania and New Guinea. The species filled the same role that medium sized carnivores, such as hyenas, wolves, and dholes filled elsewhere.

-42,000 years ago-
A new species arrives on the mainland of Australia and it will radically change the very face of the continent. Humans....
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Gone Forever: History of the Thylacine

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:15 am

The Thylacine has always been one of my favorite extinct creatures. It's great to see all the facts regarding their road to extinction, though it is sad seeing that they did go extinct. Thanks for sharing this info with us Crocotto, it is very informational! =3
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:18 am

Alpha Female wrote:The Thylacine has always been one of my favorite extinct creatures. It's great to see all the facts regarding their road to extinction, though it is sad seeing that they did go extinct. Thanks for sharing this info with us Crocotto, it is very informational! =3
You are quite welcome, I was gonna finish up today so keep your eyes peeled
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

IndianWolves
Pup
Pup
Location: Howling at the moon with Wolves , Comanches ,and Apaches!

Post by IndianWolves » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:37 pm

The Thylacine or Tazmanian Wolf was an AWESOME creature it was said that they could of been domesticated pets.
hi-la-hi ka-li-i hi-a da-na-wa-nv-ne-hi a-le a-la-s-di i-tsu-la
Go through the warpath and fight together.
CHEROKEE

I'm A mixed up Native American got a problem ?

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Did you know that they may be able to bring them back? Scientists in Australia discovered a fully preserved Thylacine pup and have it contained in formaldehyde. If they can figure out it's genetic genome, scientists may be able to clone the animals DNA. This would open many possibilities for cloning any animal or human.
................... ᴘᴏɪsᴏɴ ɪᴠʏ
......=====================
....ᴍᴀᴍᴍᴀʟs, ᴀ ᴅᴀʏ ᴏғ ʀᴇᴄᴋᴏɴɪɴɢ ɪs ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ.
..ᴛʜᴀᴛs ʀɪɢʜᴛ, ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴛs ᴀɴᴅ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs
...ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴀᴡ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄʀᴀᴡʟ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀɪᴍᴏʀᴅɪᴀʟ
....sᴏᴜᴘ ᴡɪʟʟ ʀᴇᴄʟᴀɪᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴇᴛ. ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ
...'......ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴘʀᴏᴛᴇᴄᴛ ʏᴏᴜ.
.............'..'..sɪɢ ᴜɴʟᴜᴄᴋʏ ¹³

sparky_wolf

Post by sparky_wolf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:53 am

I love Thylacines, they have always been a subject of interest for me. Actually not too long ago I worked on a project with some classmates about extinct creatures and we were assigned the Thylacine.

There is an interesting book on them, I'm not sure if it's factual but it's called 'I Saw Nothing'. I throughly enjoyed it and reccomend reading it. Also I went to a mueseum as part of the extinct theme at school and they had a Thylacine there.(A model though, mind you)
raise 'em on rhythm and blues

March 2011 UotM.

Icon -
WickedTrickster

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Sweetpea RAWR wrote: Did you know that they may be able to bring them back? Scientists in Australia discovered a fully preserved Thylacine pup and have it contained in formaldehyde. If they can figure out it's genetic genome, scientists may be able to clone the animals DNA. This would open many possibilities for cloning any animal or human.
Wow, that's very interesting! I hope they do, the Thylacine is one of my favorite. :3
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Ikyote

Post by Ikyote » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:34 pm

This animal has received an amazing amount of popularity for works of art on dA. But they do look like interesting animals indeed. Thanks for the information.

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:24 pm

The Thylacine is more like a kangaroo than a wolf. It's a marsupial, meaning it carries its babies in a pouch, and it is a solitary creature, unlike wolves which hunt and live in packs. It died because not only did it have to jar for space with dingos, but also humans killed them. When they became more rare, a bounty was offered to anyone who could bring one back.

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Stray Fang wrote:
Sweetpea RAWR wrote: Did you know that they may be able to bring them back? Scientists in Australia discovered a fully preserved Thylacine pup and have it contained in formaldehyde. If they can figure out it's genetic genome, scientists may be able to clone the animals DNA. This would open many possibilities for cloning any animal or human.
Wow, that's very interesting! I hope they do, the Thylacine is one of my favorite. :3
i dont man should not mess with the balance of nature man has before a lot in more ways then liek killer bees and cain toads first off killer bees man created this creature in the past sceintest were wanting to make a bee that was a better honey makeer so the did instead they got a bee that was agrisive violant and kills off the other types of bees it quikily spread throught north and south america and who nos were it will end up next it was so bad they made an old hollywood horor movie of it and that would have to be pretty bad to end up there and the cane toad that bad man brought it from astraila to other places to protect there crops from the cane beatle but things took a turn for the wrost the cane toad has taxic scene and in many cases a dog finds one picks it up in mouth what happens... DOG DIES OF POISON!!! same happens with a small child
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

extraterrestrials

Post by extraterrestrials » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 pm

If they can do that, imagine what else they can do. .___.

So, I heard that Thylacines might actually not be extinct. They could just be in so few numbers that htey are hard to find. Like that type of mule or whatever in Madagascar, it was there all along, but no one noticed it. It could be the same with the Thylacine.
━━━━━━━━━━━━
the truth is out there!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:09 pm

But mules are infertile because they are a mixed breed (horse and donkey). As for bringing what wolfman200789 said, it wouldn't be like that. First of all, the Thylacine only lives in Australia I'm assuming, since thats the only place it was found (besides the mainland). Scientists just want to bring it back, not create some hybrid. Besides, these creatures were known to be solitary. They didn't like to be around humans, and after competing with dingos they wouldn't want to be around dogs either. If the thylacine isn't extinct, then please let them live.

extraterrestrials

Post by extraterrestrials » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Ugh... it's not a mule.
I don't know what it is, it's like some alpaca or deer or something.
I just said mule because I don't know what it's called.
━━━━━━━━━━━━
the truth is out there!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Sweetpea RAWR
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Sweetpea RAWR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to get all sciencey on you :oops: . Anyway, on the topic of genetics, something amazing is happening! Scientists in Japan are going to clone a Woolly Mammoth! They'll take the DNA from a preserved mammoth, and insert it into the egg of a regular elephant, then insert the egg into an elephant. Hopefully when the elephant gives birth, it will be a mammoth. The entire process will take around 2 to 5 years. If this works, it will be extraordinary.

extraterrestrials

Post by extraterrestrials » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:08 pm

It's okay, lol.
Mammoths layed eggs? @.@

The Thylacine was called a Tasmanian Wolf in a book about extinct animals. Lol fail much?
━━━━━━━━━━━━
the truth is out there!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Return to “Nature & Wildlife”