Favorite Breed of Bird/General Bird Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Re: Favorite Breed of Bird/General Bird Discussion

Post by twinlinskis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Quivira really got me into birds, and i have to say that i really, really love the moluccan c.ockatoo! they're so cute and have peach butts. love it, man. but i also really love budgies because they look so fat and adorable i just want to.... touch... and hold. just hold so close and never let go (⊙‿⊙✿)

as for local birds, i have an affinity to purple martins, pigeons and doves, and bluebirds!

edit: lowkey hate the ding-dang filter for changing c.ockatoo to rooster (ง •̀_•́)ง
Last edited by twinlinskis on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
............ ............
sig © twinlinskis

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:45 pm

Hmm, well I really love crows, red tailed falcons and golden eagles. I really do admire those birds, after having volunteered for the summer in a bird sanctuary I fell in love. They are so intelligent, both of us learned so much from each other after working with them.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:15 am

Birds are coo.

Bird rescues and sanctuaries are great places to learn more about birds. I got to handle and learn all about many native birds around my area when I was an intern at the local bird rescue. I couldn't get into the medical part of it though, so I've gone down the path of research more.

Random thing about crows. There was a study done where people wore a rubber mask while capturing and banding American crows near a college campus. The crows didn't like this. When the people walked around near the campus a few days later wearing a variety of masks, the crows reacted aggressively only to the mask that was worn when the were capturing crows. They remembered the face of the one that did harm to them and to other crows.
Years after the initial study was done, the crows STILL remembered the mask and would react to it. So not only can crows distinguish between "good" and "bad" people, but they can remember this and pass that information on to other crows. It's fascinating how intelligent they are.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7209005806

War-thrush
Pup
Pup
Name: N00CLEAR

Post by War-thrush » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:35 pm

I think corvids (crows, ravens, etc) are pretty awesome so id loooove to see those, sadly we don't get any here :(
Good Morning
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you wish me a ⓖⓞⓞⓓ morning,
or mean it is a good morning whether I want it ⓞⓡ not;
□ ⓞⓡ that you f e e l good [̲̅t̲̅][̲̅h̲̅][̲̅i̲̅][̲̅s̲̅] m o r n i n g; ■
or that itisa morning to be [̲̅g̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅o̲̅][̲̅d̲̅] on?
□ ʇ n o q ɐ || u ʌ ǝ ɐ ɹ || n o ʎ ||ʇ ɐ ɥ ʍ ■
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxᵈᵉᵛᶦᵃᶰᵗᵃʳᵗxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Av/Sig ©Infinite/Kamaal

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:08 am

That's a shame- they're really cool birds. Here we mostly just have fish crows and blue jays, and occasionally I see American crows.

But mostly fish crows. They are everywhere on my college campus.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Ah, I love corvids as well. Jackdaws, crows, and magpies belong to pretty much the only interesting wildlife we get around here (save for the very rare red fox). I find them particularly nice to look at, and I always love reading anecdotes regarding their intelligence. Ravens especially are impressive to me, but I do not believe I have ever seen one in real life. I'm just glad there are jackdaws everywhere, heh.
Kivia wrote:Random thing about crows. There was a study done where people wore a rubber mask while capturing and banding American crows near a college campus. The crows didn't like this. When the people walked around near the campus a few days later wearing a variety of masks, the crows reacted aggressively only to the mask that was worn when the were capturing crows. They remembered the face of the one that did harm to them and to other crows.
Years after the initial study was done, the crows STILL remembered the mask and would react to it. So not only can crows distinguish between "good" and "bad" people, but they can remember this and pass that information on to other crows. It's fascinating how intelligent they are.
This is exactly the kind of thing I love reading about, so thanks a bunch for sharing that!

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Kivia wrote:Birds are coo.

Bird rescues and sanctuaries are great places to learn more about birds. I got to handle and learn all about many native birds around my area when I was an intern at the local bird rescue. I couldn't get into the medical part of it though, so I've gone down the path of research more.

Random thing about crows. There was a study done where people wore a rubber mask while capturing and banding American crows near a college campus. The crows didn't like this. When the people walked around near the campus a few days later wearing a variety of masks, the crows reacted aggressively only to the mask that was worn when the were capturing crows. They remembered the face of the one that did harm to them and to other crows.

Ah yes, I've read this article, it's truly amazing how they reacted. They do have a complex brain, in my opinion they are among the smartest birds I've ever seen.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:49 pm

my favorite birds are ravens. I'd like to own one when I get older, but i'm not sure if i can handle an exotic bird.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:31 pm

I love sharing info when I can. =3

I don't know much about raven ownership, but I would imagine them being difficult to take care of. Although they may be similar to taking care of other exotics, I'm not sure. I'd have to read into it.

We actually just had a rare Common Raven sighting here in Delaware. We don't normally get ravens, but two decided to show up around here. Lots of birders went out to go find them.

Kyrinth
Pup
Pup
Location: Texas - a state that harbors warm winters and even warmer summers

Post by Kyrinth » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:45 pm

I've been fascinated with the Magpie. Their mimicking skills are amazing, and the black and white design of their feathers is gorgeous.
✿ Treason on Lioden ✿
✿ Ottavia on WolfHaven ✿

✿ Avatar by Clementine (WolfHaven) ✿
✿ A returning player (started playing back in 2009) ✿

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:55 pm

I saw some black-billed magpies when I was in Colorado a few years ago, and they were just some of the coolest looking corvids.

Also, Stellar's jays are pretty cool too.

Samber
Name: Akira

Post by Samber » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:41 am

Definitely hyacinth macaws C:
─ are you calling me a sinner?
av©lupinz
x
X
X

not active anymore