Sintact's Photography

Submit your own photographs of nature & wildlife by following the instructions in the stickied topics in this forum.

Moderator: Isela

Forum rules
This forum is for original photographs only. If you submit a photograph that is not yours, you may receive a warning or be banned from the forums. Read the Rules for Nature & Wildlife Photography, then follow the instructions in that topic to have your photo(s) reviewed and posted.
Sintact

Sintact's Photography

Post by Sintact » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:44 pm

Well, sometimes when someone lends me a camera, I use some of my time for taking pictures. During february I went to the Carretera Austral in the South of Chile and took some bird pictures I want to show you.

PS - I don't know how to take good pictures, I just grab the camera and capture whatever I'm seeing in auto mode.

Huairavo, Nycticorax nycticorax .
There were a pair of them looking at me from an abandoned boat. I took a lot of pictures but I think this was the best one.

Carpintero, Campephilus magellanicus.
When I took the picture, there were two male Carpinteros and one female. They make a really weird sound when they feel under attack.

Cisne de Cuello Negro, Cygnus melancoryphus.
A loooot of them.

Carpinterito, Veniliornis lignarius.
I saw a lot during my trip, this particular picture was taken during a pee stop haha.

Hued Hued del Sur, Pteroptochos tarnii.
Took this picture during a trekking going to the Volcán Michimahuida. Hued hued are really interesting, their sound is a "hued hued", and if you pronounce their name, they will answer and probably get closer to you. They are amazing and one of my favorite birds.

Martín Pescador, Alcedines.
You can see them fishing really close to you if you are next to a river. Most of the time I went fly fishing I saw at least one or two of them.

I have more bird pictures but can't find them at the moment haha. I also have some landscape photos I think I'll upload later!
Last edited by Sintact on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former WolfQuest Moderator
May '09 User of the Month

Kivia

Re: Sintact's Photographies

Post by Kivia » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Ahhhh, South American birds. <3 These photos make me so happy. It makes me miss birding in Peru when I went on my study abroad last year.
I like these photos, even if you're trying to say you don't know how to take good photos haha. You've got a lot of excellent close ups of these birds. It's these kinds of photos (and camera) that I wish I had so that I could get a photo and then ID the bird later if it's giving me trouble.
I think it's so cool that you have posted the Spanish names for all the birds as well, followed by their Latin names. I get to look them all up and check them out- I just think it's so fascinating though that we all call the same birds different things across the world.
I'm familiar with the last bird, I saw quite a few of them in Peru. Looks like a male Ringed Kingfisher. The Kingfishers we have here are Belted Kingfishers, which look similar. Actually just saw some on my walk today!

Overall though, I love these photographs! Thank you so much for sharing, and I look forward to more. =D

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Hahaha how do you call those birds where you live? I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, I'll try to upload more of them tomorrow.

Taking pictures to birds can be so frustrating and difficult haha, I tried to take a lot of photos to them but most of the birds just flew away or moved just when I thought I would get a perfect shot hahaha.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Sintact's Photography

Post by Koa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Better photos than I can take, Sintact! (I can barely use a camera.) I can only imagine how difficult birds are to capture on photo.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:24 pm

Bird photography can be some of the most difficult photography from what I've seen. The lenses you need to capture birds well can get pricey. And just because you have a nice lens doesn't mean you'll get a great shot- they can be tough little buggers for sure. I really haven't attempted bird photography because I would not be able to capture anything great hahaha. Unless they are close and mostly motionless, it just isn't worth it for me and my dinky camera. Dx So what you have is pretty impressive!

In terms of their names, after looking them up here's what English speakers call them (from top to bottom):

Black-crowned Night Heron (we have these here as well, looks like you have a juvenile)
Magellanic Woodpecker
Black-necked Swan
Striped Woodpecker
Black-throated Huet-huet (not a very different name!)
Ringed Kingfisher

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:57 am

Well, more than the 70% of my photo attempts are a big fail haha. One of my friends who was next to me during picture times (owner of the camera) helped me with most of the shots anyways. This was actually my first attempt to do something with a camera and I had a really good time hehe.

It's really interesting how things change from one side of the world to another!

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:42 am

Really nice pics Sintact! You captured the moment correctly with the right lighting, I really do enjoy seeing such photos.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Kamaal wrote:Really nice pics Sintact! You captured the moment correctly with the right lighting, I really do enjoy seeing such photos.
I'm really glad you liked the pictures! Which one was your favorite?

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:44 pm

To be honest I'm between the Carpinterito and the Martín Pescador pic, but I'm gonna go for my first choice, I really like the natural colors mixed in this particular image. Plus it's quite odd or should I say rare stopping for your need and managing to capture such a clear picture XD
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

-FireBreaker-
Name: Fire

Post by -FireBreaker- » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:08 am

Great pictures, Sintact!
I really like all the pics, i look forward to to ser more from you ^^.
·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´
Wh¥ §hðµlÐ ï åþðlðgïzê £ðr hê mðñ§êr ï'vê ßê¢ðmê
ñð ðñê êvêr åþðlðgïzêÐ £ðr måkïñg mê hï§ wå¥
`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´
:: av/sig © Lupin/Samber ::

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:38 pm

It's great to read that you liked my pictures hehe. Maybe I should ask and borrow the camera and take more photos.