'Aggressive hazing' may save habituated wolves, biologist says

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

'Aggressive hazing' may save habituated wolves, biologist says

Post by Koa » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Great article coming out of Jackson Hole News and Guide that puts a more objective-- and constructive-- spin on 926F's death.
Habituated wolf’s death may leave lasting legacy
Yellowstone is looking into aggressively hazing the Lamar Valley lobos.
By Mike Koshmrl Dec. 5, 2018
JACKSON HOLE NEWS & GUIDE

Wolf biologist Doug Smith wants to smarten up Yellowstone’s wolves.

As Yellowstone National Park’s senior wildlife biologist, Smith has witnessed naive, habituated wolves being hunted down easily outside of the park, where people can legally point rifles instead of cameras. Since wolf hunting seasons outside the 2.2-million-acre park’s borders in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming aren’t going to come to an end, Smith wants to start teaching wolves a life-saving lesson: People aren’t safe.

“Right now, if they’re crossing the road we may leave them alone,” Smith told the News&Guide this week. “Now we’re thinking of pounding them. If you get close to people, you’re going to get hit.”

Being “hit,” he explained, means hazing wolves, with either paintball or beanbag guns. Making such a major change to Yellowstone’s roadside wolf-watching policy — if it goes through — would be the result of introspection.
Read the full article here: https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/env ... bfeae.html

Isela
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: 'Aggressive hazing' may save habituated wolves, biologist says

Post by Isela » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:50 pm

I've always respected Doug Smith and I believe this is a smart decision. Wolf-watching has always been my top joy in the park, and I even had certain moments where individual wolves passed by me in close proximity, one including 926F herself trotting along next to my car. However, as precious as those moments are, it's harmful to the wolves in the long run.

Hazing has been a practice done on bears in the park to dissuade them from approaching people. It's not lethal and has shown to be effective.

I love that Rick chimed in as well, and what he says rings true. This could be the turning point to actually do something and make a positive change for both wolves and people.
And the tempest is raging,

it's caving-in the sky

And the tempest is raging,

couldn't tame it if she tried

---Cora Rose - The Tempest
Avie © howl-ite

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: 'Aggressive hazing' may save habituated wolves, biologist says

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Isela wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:50 pm
I've always respected Doug Smith and I believe this is a smart decision. Wolf-watching has always been my top joy in the park, and I even had certain moments where individual wolves passed by me in close proximity, one including 926F herself trotting along next to my car. However, as precious as those moments are, it's harmful to the wolves in the long run.

Hazing has been a practice done on bears in the park to dissuade them from approaching people. It's not lethal and has shown to be effective.

I love that Rick chimed in as well, and what he says rings true. This could be the turning point to actually do something and make a positive change for both wolves and people.
Thanks for your insight! I agree, I think it'll be something worth putting into practice for wolves.