Female wolf dies after capture for Isle Royale relocation

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Female wolf dies after capture for Isle Royale relocation

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Wolf dies after capture for relocation to Isle Royale park
Sept. 29, 2018
Detroit Free Press via Associated Press

HOUGHTON, Mich. — Officials say a gray wolf captured in Minnesota for relocation to Isle Royale National Park has died.

The National Park Service plans to move 20-30 wolves from the U.S. and Canadian mainlands to the Lake Superior wilderness park in the next few years to rebuild a once thriving population.

A 4-year-old female and a 5-year-old male were successfully flown there and released this week.

Isle Royale gets 2 more gray wolves

But the park service said Friday night that another female died "despite the best efforts of the attending veterinarians" after being trapped, sedated and flown to a holding facility for a medical exam.

The park service says its wolf relocation team has adjusted procedures involving how long a captured wolf is held before transport to the island, as well as sedation measures used to reduce stress.
The article can be found here: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 470410002/

DaniBeez

Re: Female wolf dies after capture for Isle Royale relocatio

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Interesting they said "another" female died in the article, implying it's happened at least another time for this project. Being sedated and flown does sound quite stressful for a wild animal!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:43 pm

DaniBeez wrote:Interesting they said "another" female died in the article, implying it's happened at least another time for this project. Being sedated and flown does sound quite stressful for a wild animal!
Yeah, I was puzzled about that, too. I figured the "another" could also function as comparative, as the previous two wolves survived while this one didn't?

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Ohh, I see that option now too. It's clearer if I ignore the link for the other article in between the two statements. Good point!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur