Unrealistic Wolf Characters~ Your Opinion!

Discuss wolf-focused literature, artwork, videos, and other media, or show off your own wolf art or writings in the subforums. Read the Rules for User Writings and/or Wolf Art before posting.

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Forum rules
This forum is for wolf art, literature, videos, and other media. If you post a topic to discuss a piece of wolf artwork, literature, or other wolf-related media, you must include the original artist/author. If you post something that is not yours and claim it as your own, you may be warned or banned.

Do you agree with unrealistic wolves?

Yes
11%
No
21%
Maybe
4%
Depends
64%

Total votes: 53

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Unrealistic Wolf Characters~ Your Opinion!

Post by alethe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:26 pm

What is your opinion on the many unrealistic wolf characters? Here you can discuss your opinions on the subjects of unnatural coloring, markings, powers, or accessories commonly found in characters, animations, stories, roleplays, and art. This isn't for you to bash other users on their opinion, this is for kind discussion on the subject.

I feel that if an unrealistic wolf is used in a story or whatnot, they should fit into the plot. If its a realistic story about a wolf pack in Alaska, then I disagree with throwing in a pink wolf with wings and powers. But if the story is unrealistic and most of the characters are unrealistic, then more power to the author.

Again, this is for kind discussion ONLY. Please do not be rude and respect the opinions of other users because everyone is has their own thoughts.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Unrealistic Wolf Characters~ Your Opinion!

Post by Koa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm

This is probably something you want to get a moderator to move to Wolf-Multimedia (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=5) as opposed to this board, General Wolf Discussion, which deals with more real-life or current issues. It may fit in User Writings, but given that User Writings doesn't allow unrealistic characters anyway, that's what I suggested Wolf-Multimedia. Hope that helps.

In general, wolves are already overused... and the majority are highly unrealistic. So, I'd honestly prefer to see someone take the time to portray a realistic wolf in a realistic setting and overall story, but that's my personal opinion.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 pm

~ Moved to Wolf Multimedia

My opinion on unrealistic wolf characters is kind of.. complicated, I guess. I don't really agree with "powers", as they always seemed like a more human thing to do. Accessories depends on what it is, and the history behind the character. I'm okay with unrealistic colours and markings to a point. I don't really care if your wolf has green or blue eyes, or if it has a small purple marking or a blue tailtip or anything like that. Anything more than that is a bit much. Mutations like wings and horns, I don't really like those either.

Basically, I'm okay with small things like eye colours and small markings, but anything else is a bit too much.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Well it really depends on the features people use. Like rare eye colors, as long as they're not mood color changing, it can get confusing and a bit irritating after a while, though again depends on the viewer. As for way off unrealisticness, like wings, powers, accessories and other stuff they use to gain more of an audience of their character. I don't mind if the wolf has a bit of color fragrance on it, like swirls , dots, streaks, etc. As long as the colors aren't like a rainbow, 'cluttered' to the point where it's useless, because there is always something hidden that would happen. Plus I been recognizing that users tend to say they have a 'special' or 'odd' odor or rather type of scent that their wolf carries, like the ons I've heard were, pine needles and dew scent, or the scent of roses? Like really?

So as the question states, do you agree with unrealistic wolves? I would have to say as I voted: It depends.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:56 pm

I prefer to have more realistic characters myself, although I don't mind it if people have a wolf character that is a little unrealistic. For me to like an unrealistic wolf character, it would probably have to be mild to medium in terms of being not entirely realistic. As well, I feel as if the character would have to be fairly unique or original, but there would be exceptions if a more common element still works quite well with the overall design. I'm okay with some unrealistic colours, only if they're not something really obvious or out of place, such as a bright blue or pink. I dislike it when wolves have "powers" and I'm okay with some accessories, probably as long as it's made sure that they compliment the design well, and aren't just thrown on there for the sake of having them.

So in the end, my opinion on unrealistic wolf characters does depend on the character's design, and possibly where it's being used. I suppose that I also prefer characters that have really been thought about too, not just about what's on the "inside" of the wolf (personality, etc.) but what's on the outside.

Honey wolf

Post by Honey wolf » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 pm

It depends on how unrealistic the wolf is. If it's cyan and covered with multicoloured dots then i'll most likely have an eye seizure (though I don't mind unrealistic eye colours). I prefer more natural colours, it looks better on the wolf ^^

FireWolf5

Post by FireWolf5 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm okay with them as long as it isn't overdone. What I mean by that is if they have horns, wings (although I'm okay with wings sometimes), and other stuff like that. Either than that, markings, accessories (most wolf characters in my book have necklaces, so yeah. I like accessories for them), and different colored eyes are perfectly fine with me.

candypanda
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by candypanda » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Unrealistic wolves along with roleplay has seem to become a cliche as of late. I find it kind of silly, since the basis of the idea was to be different from the rest I suppose, but it has become contrarily commonplace. WQ packs from what I've observed are fair about keeping things moderately realistic (irrelevant things, like eye color and such which is fine to me) compared to the independent packs I've stumbled upon.

I'm particular towards unrealistic characters, but carry a passive disposition to those who find it ideal. In my opinion, it's not very pleasing to the eye to be doused in neon colors and adorned with more limbs than necessary, but to each their own. I've never felt the need for a "sparkledog" character, as I've heard them be called, and don't purposely seek out packs where the practice is frequent. Natural attributes to me are best, however that's just my opinion (This excludes blue and green eyes colors, as long as the hues are not prominent/bright).

BelieverInChrist
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BelieverInChrist » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:27 pm

I've always really liked brightly colored eyes and interesting markings,but too much neon is too much neon,so I don't like the wolves with colors that jump off the page and attack your eyes with a blunt knife over and over again.
That being said,I think everything else is just fine (two tails,wings,etc.) in most stories.The only thing (besides colors lethal to the eye) that I can't stand is powers.
Gosh.Wolves are boss the way they are,nevermind powers.They don't NEED
powers.If they did,they would've gone extinct years ago and they would not be as cool as everyone thinks they are.Amiright? :roll:

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:45 pm

I don't like powerplaying like lightning powers or smashing a hole in the earth by taking a step. I do however like Wings, Unrealistic markings, Weird eyes colors. With the wings it's just if someone doesn't take it too far. :wink:
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,
Night now brings the stars it makes.

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,
From silvery woods there comes a call.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 pm

I find unrealistic wolves, as well as them having powers or ridiculous accessories like wings or necklaces, to be incredibly...well...silly, to put it mildly. Also very cliche and annoying. Most people I've met (both online and in 'real life') who do that don't actually care about real wolves or their conservation, they just like wolves because they look interesting or they are the 'cool' thing to get involved in.

But, anthropomorphic wolves (wolves that have human emotions or thoughts) is fine, IMO, as long as the author and the readers know that's not how wolves really act or think.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Hiddenwolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Hanging with the pack in Lamar Valley or tearing it up in Johnson Valley.

Post by Hiddenwolf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:00 pm

In my stories, the wolves have special patterns or markings, but I use real wolf colors. I do sometimes enhance certain wolves abilities. I usually try to keep my wolves seem like real wolves most of the time.
Desert Wolf Pack Rules!!!
Long live WolfQuest!!!

lokifox
Pup
Pup

Post by lokifox » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Ok, so here's my opinion:
If it's a comic book, or a manga, or an animated thing, I think unrealistic wolves are fine.
I think that if it's set in a story where there are wizards, or witches, or fairies, or any unnatural people, who cares what color the wolf is?

But if it's set in a story with normal surroundings, you wouldn't want to have a pack in Yellowstone have a blue wolf with purple eyes, if all the others are normal.

That's my opinion.
Lokifox

Andoria
Pup
Pup

Post by Andoria » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:14 am

I adore animals, and that includes wolves. I enjoy learning about them and their behaviors.
Beyond animals I am a massive cartoon geek. Is the work in question well-written or at the very least entertaining? If the answer is yes, then by all means make cartoony, unrealistic wolves! Why should the species matter? I see cartoony dogs and cats all the time. My fursona is a toony mink! Wolves shouldn't have to be "realistic".

If the person is a "wolfaboo", as the people who glorify the wild canines are called, they irritate me but they're doing no harm. Let the people have some fun.
Actually, I'm a dog. But wolves are cool too.
My MP is Andoria, of course.
I'm an artist! Please visit my DA at mori101.deviantart.com :)

MasterSims
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by MasterSims » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

I am on and off with unrealistic and realistic wolves. Obviously the talking and history behind wolves is quite the contrary to a real life wolf, but I do suppose you need that sort of thing to actually communicate 'correctly' and to have more fun than saying (bad example) "Rain raised her tail in a show of dominance." That would become annoying and boring after some time, thus resulting in a decrease in Pack Activity.

However, unrealistic powers are, I think, over to the top and too much advantage over RP prey and predators (Wings, super speed, elemental control, etc.).

That's my opinion. I can do the coloring and talking and awkward histories, but powers and wings are a little too much for me.
방탄소년단