A guide for realistic multi-player roleplaying

This section is for User Guides relating to the WQ Game. Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
Forum rules
Read the User Guide Rules and Guide Index before posting.
chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: A guide for realistic multi-player roleplaying

Post by chickiefoo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:06 am

MoonGlance wrote:
Seewah wrote:
mynameisfaolan wrote:Unrealistic- wolf behaviors around an animal that a wolf in real life won't do. Like killing a bear for no reason, or not protecting pups from a coyote, or being friends with a rabbit, stuff like that. One time I was in a RP and one of the wolves had two pups and a cougar :shock:

I think we should add this so people won't think a wolf having a cougar is realistic ( of course, I don't think a kindergartner would believe so).
Wait... a wolf giving birth to a cougar? Impossible...

Maybe they pretended to 'adopt' the cougar, but a wolf whould not do that. The main reason is; the cougars means competiton for the wolves(Prey and stuff like that), and if a wolf whould see a cougar cub in the wild i think it whould most likely kill it.
I don't think a wolf could kill a cougar. Maybe a pack could but that's very unlikely. The most they could do is probably drive it off.
Bajj
Expert Wolf

Chiu
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Chiu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:47 am

chickiefoo wrote:I don't think a wolf could kill a cougar. Maybe a pack could but that's very unlikely. The most they could do is probably drive it off.
I didnt mean a full grown cougar, if you read my post closer you see that i have written 'cougar cub'.
Chiu Calernathiller. ❤

chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by chickiefoo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:53 pm

MoonGlance wrote:
chickiefoo wrote:I don't think a wolf could kill a cougar. Maybe a pack could but that's very unlikely. The most they could do is probably drive it off.
I didnt mean a full grown cougar, if you read my post closer you see that i have written 'cougar cub'.
Oops :oops: My bad
Bajj
Expert Wolf

RabidLynx

Post by RabidLynx » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:53 pm

I meant that in the rp, the wolf adopted the cougar, which is not realistic.

Anyways, before we get off topic, here is another thing you should add:

Borderline- Other animals not wolf known by their names. If you don't know what I mean, in the wild, wolves don't know that a bear is called a bear, or that a coyote is called a coyote. So instead of yelling, "Look! A big brown thing with trees on it's head!" maybe the wolf might be able to say "Look! An elk!" instead. Know what I mean?

chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by chickiefoo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Unrealistic:
-A lone wolf claiming a territory.
-A howl that can be heard all the way across the map.
-A pup able to survive on its own without its parents.
Bajj
Expert Wolf

Seewah
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Seewah » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:05 pm

mynameisfaolan wrote:I meant that in the rp, the wolf adopted the cougar, which is not realistic.

Anyways, before we get off topic, here is another thing you should add:

Borderline- Other animals not wolf known by their names. If you don't know what I mean, in the wild, wolves don't know that a bear is called a bear, or that a coyote is called a coyote. So instead of yelling, "Look! A big brown thing with trees on it's head!" maybe the wolf might be able to say "Look! An elk!" instead. Know what I mean?
Oh, that's what you meant. It's not entirely unrealistic, but it's very rare.

And I've seen that kind of thing happen before, with the wolves not knowing what something is called. It's annoying and confusing.

I support hunting.

Insults do not make for a valid argument.
-Seewah

Frost46
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Frost46 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Seewah wrote:
mynameisfaolan wrote:Unrealistic- wolf behaviors around an animal that a wolf in real life won't do. Like killing a bear for no reason, or not protecting pups from a coyote, or being friends with a rabbit, stuff like that. One time I was in a RP and one of the wolves had two pups and a cougar :shock:

I think we should add this so people won't think a wolf having a cougar is realistic ( of course, I don't think a kindergartner would believe so).
Wait... a wolf giving birth to a cougar? Impossible...
Players on MP will go crazy with their imagination.
I was in a RP where a wolf seriously role played giving birth to a HUMAN baby. (-.-')
...It got very akward after that... at least they weren't descriptive.
Anyway, heres what I have:

Unrealistic:
Fighting animals that are across the globe OR that don't exist anymore.
For ex. across the globe would be a elephant (Yes I have seen someone bring that in) and extinct would
be a wooly mammoth along with dinosaurs (Yes I have seen both as well).
*~.~*♪Frost46♫*~.~*
☼Proud WQ Community Member☼
These are the things that make me unique

Avvie © Zethra
Siggie © Me

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Regarding the first non-realistic thing:This is not user writings, so it would probably be okay to have negative human influence at borderline, with a note such as:Wolves are not an animal that is commonly hunted or otherwise negatively affected by humans under normal circumstances, but depending on the plot of the rp and wether you are pretending the elk are cattle/cows or some other animal, Negative Human Influence can be used.

An important thing to understand is user writings dispermits negative human influence not because it isn't realistic, but because they don't want the forum to have "humans are bad" dicussions. When you are rping, there's less risk of such a discussion croping up, many players don't even know the forum exists/show activeness on it, so Neg. Human Influence would be okay if the plot of the rp went with it.

Storm Breaker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Storm Breaker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:32 am

Wow, lots of catching up to do! Great things here, everyone!

What do we think of adding this for non-realistic:
A wolf caring for or befriending an animal besides another wolf.
chickiefoo wrote:Adding on:

Unrealistic:
Fighting such as pulling another wolf's tail off and clawing its eyes out/blinding it.
Using claws in a fight... wolves don't do this, they are not cats!

So if you're gonna fight, you better do it right!
How about this adjustment:
An occasional fight with another wolf or animal, keeping in mind that wolves mainly avoid fighting and that it should be realistic (for example, a wolf’s claws are mostly useless in a fight).

mynameisfaolan wrote:Borderline- Other animals not wolf known by their names. If you don't know what I mean, in the wild, wolves don't know that a bear is called a bear, or that a coyote is called a coyote. So instead of yelling, "Look! A big brown thing with trees on it's head!" maybe the wolf might be able to say "Look! An elk!" instead. Know what I mean?
I see your point there…really makes awkward reading. I know I play my wolf as if he’s never seen a human before, so when someone introduces a human, he’s rather curious, but if a wolf is talking to say “Hey I see a big brown thing with trees on it’s head”…well, it just makes sense to use the word. I think what you’re describing might fit well in the tips rather than as something that’s realistic or non.
chickiefoo wrote:Unrealistic:
-A lone wolf claiming a territory: I tend to agree with that, but I’m inclined to put this as borderline. This goes along the same lines as adult wolves using dens, yet lots of players do it because they are on the map. What about this:
Borderline:
A lone wolf claiming a territory or adult wolf using a den other than for pups.

-A howl heard across the map: I don’t think that’s unrealistic. A wolf howl can probably be heard for miles if the wind and terrain is right. If you look at the map scale, if I’m reading the key right, I think from side to side it’s only about 2000 meters give or take, so about a mile and a quarter. Unless I’m wrong (please correct me if I am!) or someone wants to discuss that further, I doubt that one needs to be addressed in the guide.

-A pup able to survive on its own without its parents: I tend to agree with that one…can’t count how many days or few weeks old pups I see without a parent. I think it’s probably safe to add that one.

Frost46 wrote:Unrealistic:
Fighting animals that are across the globe OR that don't exist anymore.
For ex. across the globe would be a elephant (Yes I have seen someone bring that in) and extinct would
be a wooly mammoth along with dinosaurs (Yes I have seen both as well).
I think fighting other animals, whether they should be in Yellowstone or not, is pretty well covered. We need to keep in mind that an RP may be taking place somewhere besides what the map says or in a different time period. I do think tho maybe we could include something like this:

Unrealistic:
Playing as if you’re in a different time or setting than the other players in the chat.

I’ll add this, but please share your thoughts on this. We assume “realistic” means present day and in Yellowstone, but not necessarily.
jaguartail wrote:Regarding the first non-realistic thing:This is not user writings, so it would probably be okay to have negative human influence at borderline, with a note such as:Wolves are not an animal that is commonly hunted or otherwise negatively affected by humans under normal circumstances, but depending on the plot of the rp and wether you are pretending the elk are cattle/cows or some other animal, Negative Human Influence can be used.

An important thing to understand is user writings dispermits negative human influence not because it isn't realistic, but because they don't want the forum to have "humans are bad" dicussions. When you are rping, there's less risk of such a discussion croping up, many players don't even know the forum exists/show activeness on it, so Neg. Human Influence would be okay if the plot of the rp went with it.
OK, I see what you’re saying, and I’d be willing to move it to borderline. As I said above, a realistic RP doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s happening in Yellowstone (where human impact would be minimal). Please feel free to keep discussing this, though I think I’ll go ahead and adjust it.
Storm Breaker wrote:
mynameisfaolan wrote:Borderline: Alpha, Beta, Omega. I think it would be ok to use these rankings although they are not accurate, its not the end of the world if someone uses it. Nor is it totally unrealistic because for captive wolves they have those rankings. But i think those ranks can be used in RPs as long as people are using them realistically.
I wondered about this one myself. Personally I think ranks are ok in the borderline category. I'm curious what others thinks. I know I see a lot of RPs where ranks are used because it's an alternative to having a mate.
I’m going to add the idea of ranks and “jobs” to borderline, thought I’m leaving out the names (alpha, etc.) because I don’t think those are currently in the lexicon. We don’t want to encourage workarounds, but I can see using “leader, second in command, etc.”

OK…I’ve updated for the following:
*Human emotions
*Ranks
*Natural healing
*Fighting
*Interaction with other animals and animal hybrids
*Pup survival
*Human words for stuff
*Time and setting
*Human impact
*Territory/dens

That doesn’t mean there can’t be further commentary on them! Please feel free!

I have a suggestion:
Realistic:
Pretending the weather, time or season is different than the scenery shows. (I don’t think that’s unrealistic…just a current limit because of the game programming. I’m not sure what 2.5 will look like, but for now I think that’s a realistic and interesting aspect of roleplaying.)
Some of my favorite people are action figures.

Realistic Wolf Roleplay
http://yellowstonewolfrp.wetpaint.com/

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Storm Breaker wrote:
-A lone wolf claiming a territory: I tend to agree with that, but I’m inclined to put this as borderline. This goes along the same lines as adult wolves using dens, yet lots of players do it because they are on the map. What about this:
Borderline:

-A howl heard across the map: I don’t think that’s unrealistic. A wolf howl can probably be heard for miles if the wind and terrain is right. If you look at the map scale, if I’m reading the key right, I think from side to side it’s only about 2000 meters give or take, so about a mile and a quarter. Unless I’m wrong (please correct me if I am!) or someone wants to discuss that further, I doubt that one needs to be addressed in the guide.

-A pup able to survive on its own without its parents: I tend to agree with that one…can’t count how many days or few weeks old pups I see without a parent. I think it’s probably safe to add that one.

[/color]
Actually the meter that measures distance on the "map" in the game stands for miles, not meters.

If it were meters the maps would be much, much smaller, since the game is realistic.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/
pp273/sasukewolf44/da.png
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

Seewah
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Seewah » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Shusuke wrote:
Storm Breaker wrote:
Borderline:

[/color]
Actually the meter that measures distance on the "map" in the game stands for miles, not meters.

If it were meters the maps would be much, much smaller, since the game is realistic.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/
pp273/sasukewolf44/da.png
The abbreviation for miles is "mi" while meters is "m" therefor the map shows meters. Also notice how in only a few steps, you can cover a red or white bar. This would be incredibly unrealistic if it were miles.

I support hunting.

-Seewah

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 pm

In my country the common abbreviation for miles is m, not mi. :U So it's a very confusing concept. Mi is unheard of for me. XD

I apologize
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

Seewah
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Seewah » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Shusuke wrote:In my country the common abbreviation for miles is m, not mi. :U So it's a very confusing concept. Mi is unheard of for me. XD

I apologize
OK then, there's really no apology needed. Anyway, let's get back on topic.

I support hunting.

-Seewah

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:18 pm

The one about healing should probably be at realistic, not borderline. Wolves probably do know about healing in real life, or else illness deaths among wolves would be very common(it isn't as far as I know).

Seewah
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Seewah » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:40 am

jaguartail wrote:The one about healing should probably be at realistic, not borderline. Wolves probably do know about healing in real life, or else illness deaths among wolves would be very common(it isn't as far as I know).
I think that it should stay borderline. Wolves can't do much more than lick wounds, and sicknesses can't be healed well by a wolf because they don't have medicine. For a sickness, a wolf might only be able to drink a lot of water. That might even be something they don't do. When a wolf becomes sick, it might leave to avoid infecting its pack. That's what I know about sick wolves.

EDIT: Here's more!

Realistic: Staying on the ground, jumping on top of rocks ect. Swimming, carrying realistic things such as pups, sticks, or small stones

Borderline: Jumping rivers (I think they might be too far a distance to jump), climbing steep objects (I think, could be unrealistic.) carrying larger objects in mouth

Unrealistic: Climbing trees, lifting other adult wolves (mouth or back), other unrealistic "athletic" activities
Last edited by Masika on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding information from double post. Be sure to use the edit feature in future, thanks ;)

I support hunting.

-Seewah