What is your favorite gray wolf subspecies?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Which one is your favorite?

Arabian wolf
6%
Arctic wolf
35%
Eurasian wolf
9%
Iberian wolf
9%
Indian wolf
2%
Italian wolf
4%
Mexican wolf
11%
Northwestern gray wolf
15%
Tundra wolf
7%
Steppe wolf
2%

Total votes: 54

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

What is your favorite gray wolf subspecies?

Post by Koa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:42 am

Choose! It is recommended you at least describe why. (;
If there are any mistakes, please let me know and post it here or PM me.

Unlucky 13
Yearling
Yearling

Re: What is your favorite gray wolf subspecies?

Post by Unlucky 13 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:47 am

As I said on the previous topic, my favourite is Arctic Wolf. I just have a natural fondness for them and I've used them quite a lot as role play characters and in stories.
Moved to A Jokers Curse

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm undecided between the Eurasian and Arabian wolves.

I have a soft spot for the Eurasian wolf for two (really three) reasons:

1: More than any other, it was this subspecies encountered by medieval Europeans, who largely wrote the old wolf stories.
2: Unlike the North American wolves, which are largely idealised as denizens of untainted wilderness, the Eurasian wolf is an adaptable animal that readily colonises urban areas. The North American wolves are "noble", the Eurasian wolf "streetwise". It knows how to live with humans.
3: I've lived in Europe all my life, so naturally some bias is present.

As for the Arabian wolf, although it is small and relatively unimpressive, I cannot ignore the fact that it was this wolf from which the domestic dog was created. You've no idea how irritated I feel whenever wolf conservation groups in Canada and Alaska use the domestication of the dog as a reason not to hunt wolves, yet show pictures of northern tundra wolves, which are about as far removed from dogs or Arabian wolves as one can get.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Kazue

Post by Kazue » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 pm

My favorite has to be the Iberian wolf. I've always liked them, but I don't know why; I think it's because of their pelt colouring.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Personally, I'm curious as to what subspecies inhabits the Primorsky Krai, where wolves and Siberian tigers coexist. Are they Eurasian wolves, or the Tibetan subspecies?
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:25 pm

My favorite gray wolf subspecies is a Arctic Wolf Because i just love the beauty the pelt, ugh, I adore it^^
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Miku Hatsune
Pup
Pup

Post by Miku Hatsune » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:30 am

While this is probably quite the strange choice, I've taken up a liking for the Arabian Wolf.
ι тσσк α киιfє αи∂ ¢υт συт нєя єує
ι тσσк ιт нσмє αи∂ ωαт¢нє∂ ιт
ωιтнєя αи∂ ∂ιє
ѕнє'ѕ ℓυ¢ку тнαт ι ∂ι∂и'т ѕℓιρ нєя α ѕмιℓє
иσw ѕнє ѕℓєєρѕ ωιтн єує σρєи
тнαтѕ тнє ρяι¢є ѕнє ραι∂...
icon by jewelz

ShadowintheSky
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadowintheSky » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 am

I gotta say. Maybe arctic wolf ;)
☆ —(••÷[★ land oғ тнe eleмenтѕ ★]÷••)— ☆
Miyuki - Alpha Female
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69428
http://landoftheelements.forumotion.ca/

Change is good. You don't have to like it.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:20 am

I honestly didn't know there were quite so many subspecies of a gray wolf, and some names I'm not all too familiar with. But, I have always loved all species of wolves, subspecies, or not. ^^ From ones I do know enough about, I have always loved the Tundra Wolf, Northwestern Grey Wolf, and the Eurasian Wolf. Most likely because those are the subspecies I would most likely see in my area, or in my travels. They are also very beautiful creatures. I voted Tundra Wolf, because that was the first one I happened to click on. ^^"
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Tarbtano
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Tarbtano » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Arabian/Indian Wolf (the two are incredibly similar so for the sake of simplicity we'll say they are the same animal in different habitats) hands down. They might be deemed scrawny, cowardly; or too 'jackal-like' for many fans of Timber and Arctic wolves to care; but these 'scrawny whimps' as I've heard them called, gave humanity one of their first great gifts, something almost no other animal (and in my mind, certainly no other wolf type) can equal.
It is from these frequently overlooked wolves that arose Man's Bestfriend. Dogs were first domesticated many thousands of years ago in the Asia Minor area, and all mtDNA and genetic studies point to this 'jackal-like whimp' as the ancestor of modern dogs.

That said, I feel like this species if sorely unappreciated in Lupine Fandom, with North American Timber Wolves, Arctic Wolves; and to a much lesser extent Siberian Wolves getting all the attention. What really wants to make me pull my hair out is people near constantly portraying these subspecies as doglike, accrediting them with their animal companions; and these people's renditions of Indian Wolves in their art because they can't recognize a wolf when they see one; brushing off the Indian Wolf as a mere jackal or coyote. It was Indian Wolves that saved and raised Mowgli in Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, yet I see fan art of Akela's pack showing wolves that look like they just walked out of the Deep Arctic.

Heck, when the conservation group I was a part of wanted to make a wolf poster, I decided to go along with it; bringing in some great pictures of Indian Wolves I had found. Not a single one of my pictures was used because no one could identify the animals for what they are or refused to believe me when I told them it was a wolf. I even had one angry remark thrown at me by a girl who claimed lupines where her favorite animal and she was a 'aspiring expert'.

"Stop trying to ruin our poster with your ****** ugly jackal pictures"

-_____-
"Let me tell you this; Dinosaurs were in no way, shape; or form inferior to your wolves."
-Prof. Reverend Robert T. Bakker

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:32 pm

• I agree Tarbtano; even on WQ, both the Arabian wolf and the Indian wolf are underappreciated. That could change with more User Artwork/Writings submissions that feature Arabian wolves, to help spread awareness. A couple months back, I had a story going on here that featured one of these underappreciated subspecies--Elsa--but I lost my muse and subsequently removed it, unfinished.

Getting back to your post though Tarbtano--that's pretty embarrassing that your conservation group couldn't recognise a subspecies in need of protection! Did you end up proving them wrong? I personally think those wolves are beautiful--and I'm not just saying that. I like their lighter pelt color and smaller size. It's not surprising uneducated people don't realize they are a wolf right away. After all, their desert environment is a lot different from the snow-capped mountain forests people are used to associating with wolves. Arabians are only small because of their environment; the prey isn't as big as their northern cousins' hoofed prey. And those fan art misconceptions perhaps stemmed from the animated Disney Jungle Book movie--those wolves looked like Northern wolves. And the dholes looked like rats, but that's beside the point probably :P .

As for my favourite subspecies...that's a hard question. I like the diversity between the different subspecies, so it's hard to just pick one ^^'!

Icicle Icicle
Pup
Pup

Post by Icicle Icicle » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:56 pm

I never knew there were so many subspecies of the gray wolf before. I would say Artic Wolf. I love them because of the icy beauty of their pelt and eyes. Also they live in some of the most inhospitable terrain in the world and are one of the few mammals who can survive the temperature of -30 degrees C.
My keen sense of smell.

For your love of your people

And the land that we are a part

-Alaska-
Pup
Pup

Post by -Alaska- » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:57 pm

I have to say the Arctic Wolf or the Mexican Grey Wolf :D
┏━━━┳┓╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┏━┓┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃╋┃┃┃┏━━┳━━┫┃┏┳━━┓
┃┗━┛┃┃┃┏┓┃━━┫┗┛┫┏┓┃
┃┏━┓┃┗┫┏┓┣━━┃┏┓┫┏┓┃
┗┛╋┗┻━┻┛┗┻━━┻┛┗┻┛┗┛

hbal28
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by hbal28 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:07 pm

I did the arctic wolf I love their coats, personalities, and size.
~Robin

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:43 pm

• Although in a previous post I said I couldn't decide, after further reflection I have decided that the impressive size of an Alaskan subspecis, the Yukon Wolf (Canis lupus pambasileus) is something I admire in those wolves, as well as thier northern enviornment.