Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline: Take a look. :)

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline: Take a look. :)

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Hola! So I'm presenting this neutrally. (And remember ppl, if you get frustrated, don't vent! It only makes things, erm, not good.)

So!

There's a pipeline called the Keystone XL Pipeline.

There's a whole lot of information here out there, but to get you started here's some info from Friends of the Earth:
The Canadian oil and gas company TransCanada hopes to begin building a new oil pipeline that would trek close to 2,000 miles from Alberta, Canada to Texas. If constructed, the pipeline, known as the Keystone XL, will carry one of the world’s dirtiest fuels: tar sands oil. Along its route from Alberta to Texas, this pipeline could devastate ecosystems and pollute water sources, and would jeopardize public health

And here from Tar Sands Action(http://www.tarsandsaction.org/spread-th ... ystone-xl/):

Energy Security: Tar Sand will not Reduce Dependence on Foreign Oil

Keystone XL will not lessen U.S. dependence on foreign oil, but transport Canadian oil to American refineries for export to overseas markets.
•Keystone XL is an export pipeline. According to presentations to investors, Gulf Coast refiners plan to refine the cheap Canadian crude supplied by the pipeline into diesel and other products for export to Europe and Latin America. Proceeds from these exports are earned tax-free. Much of the fuel refined from the pipeline’s heavy crude oil will never reach U.S. drivers’ tanks.

•Reducing demand for oil is the best way to improve our energy security. U.S. demand for oil has been declining since 2007. New fuel-efficiency standards mean that this trend will continue once the economy gets back on track. In fact, the Energy Department report on Keystone XL found that decreasing demand through fuel efficiency is the only way to reduce mid-east oil imports with or without the pipeline.

Tar Sands Action held a protest at the white house a bit ago, and an actress and the head scientist of NASA got arrested. Just some interesting tid bits that you may have read about in the news already. :)

If you approve or don't approve you can call Capitol Hill and let President Obama know what you think of this, but remember, hot headedness just sounds like hot headedness, so here's a script provided by Credo Action that you can use if you do not support the pipeline:

Hi, my name is (Insert your name) and I live in (insert town or city or county), (insert state).

I'm calling to urge President Obama to reject the Keystone XL Pipeline.

The State Department has run an unrealistic evaluation of this process, and I appreciate that the President has taken ownership of this important decision.

This pipeline is the wrong direction for our country.

The President must put our national interest ahead of the interest of a foreign corporation and reject the Keystone XL Pipeline.

Thank you for your time!

Some tips that Credo offers are:

- Be friendly and nice.
- Try again if the phone is busy or no answer

It would be really great if you could report your call to Credo action so they know just how many phone calls people have put in. Here's the web site for reporting your Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline call: http://act.credoaction.com/call/report/ ... &cp_id=136

I fully believe that Credo is a safe organization, but remember to get your parent’s permission before you call! I have been attempting to get through for quite awhile now, and I keep getting a busy signal, so remember to be patient, and keep trying! Thanks guys!
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl