Certain critters you should not kill

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

What do you think about Spiders?

They are just ADORABLE!
13%
I guess they're ok...
21%
Spiders...where?!
21%
NO I HATE spiders! All of them shall die!
22%
Spiders are pretty cool. Even if they bit me.
23%

Total votes: 149

Yellowie100
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Certain critters you should not kill

Post by Yellowie100 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:49 am

I bet a lot of you HATE spiders. But I just don't like the big, huge, ones. Anyways, don't kill that spider!

Spiders can be very helpful creatures. Why? Mosquitoes, Flies, annoying pests are a Spider's main prey.

I know that you're thinking, "So what? They eat bugs and stuff. And?" But if we continued killing spiders,the number of annoying bugs would grow greater. And before we know it, they take over the world!

So put down the fly swatter and leave the poor thing alone, please. What did they do to you? OK, they probably bit you but they would only bite you if you were messing with them.

Also, most spiders are gentle and no spiders at all eat human flesh *cougheightleggedfreakscough*

So leave the spider alone. What do you think?
Last edited by Koa on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: making the title more general so it accomadates all things that we may normally want to squash.
SHEEP<3

Loua
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Don't kill Spiders!!

Post by Loua » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:14 am

Personally I have never really killed a spider, only that I freeze when I see one of the big one,and then I get a broom and gently push it towards the garden ^ ^
Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby
~Ruth E. Renkel

¿sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʞıן pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ƃuıuɹnʇ pɹıǝʍ ןɐǝɹ ʞooן noʎ ʍouʞ noʎ pıp

Birdwatching is AWESOME!!!!!

Avvie by Me!

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:24 am

Ack.....spiders. Not a big fan of them, but I can't kill one. As much as I don't like them, I can't harm one. I usually just get a jar and let it go outside.
But I agree; spiders and many other animals feed on pests like mosquitoes. Mosquitoes get really bad where I live, so the more spiders, the better.

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Depends what spider it is, if its just a Daddylonglegs i just pick it up and take it outside, another one... Jar and piece of paper. Outside it goes.
We used to have this huge spider on the gate each-time, my Mum would get frustrated but pick it up and put it off again. And it keeps coming back, its become really attached to us :? (the gate :D )
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:09 pm

I'm not a fan of spiders, but I simply cannot kill one. It makes me feel bad that it did nothing to me, yet I'm about to kill it. I usually just pick it up and put it outside if its a daddy long leg. If it's something gross (like a wood spider or a wolf spider) I take the broom and whisk it outside. The only thing I don't bother to do either with are the Widows. I make my dad sweep them outside :oops: :mrgreen: I just don't want to be rushed to the hospital for being bit by some tiny little arachnid! :mrgreen:

I heard being bitten by one is not very pleasant ...
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

wolfquest47 wrote:I'm not a fan of spiders, but I simply cannot kill one. It makes me feel bad that it did nothing to me, yet I'm about to kill it. I usually just pick it up and put it outside if its a daddy long leg. If it's something gross (like a wood spider or a wolf spider) I take the broom and whisk it outside. The only thing I don't bother to do either with are the Widows. I make my dad sweep them outside :oops: :mrgreen: I just don't want to be rushed to the hospital for being bit by some tiny little arachnid! :mrgreen:

I heard being bitten by one is not very pleasant ...

My friend's been bitten by one, but he still has a love to spiders. (I'm not a very big-fan either) I asked him why he still likes them.
Another one of my friends Hates spiders but won't kill em', since she says an alive spider looks better than a sqaushed one.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

lizf08
Yearling
Yearling

Post by lizf08 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:44 pm

... I would never kill a spider, even though i have the phobia of them. Back in Georgia i had spiders in the yard, i saw a white one on the dumpster while rolling it to backyard after garbage pick up, and waddya know, i shrieked. (I am a ten year old girl, at the time i was nine or eight, maybe seven.) i had my mom or dad or cats take care of the pecky little moths (And flies) and MAN did i hate those evil little wasps! mosquitoes! EVERYWHERE! GEORGIA SHOULD BE CALLED BUG LAND!
Avatar made by Synfull on DeviantArt. Link: http://synfull.deviantart.com/art/Avatar-Aang-Avatar-free-for-use-365030431

dragondust
Pup
Pup

Post by dragondust » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:14 pm

I would never kill a spider, even if it bit me. If it is bothering me I will just take it outside. My dad keeps tarantulas, so I dont mind the bigger spiders and actually find them kind of cute lol. And not many people actually die from spider bites. Ya, there are some pertty poisoness ones, but it is still really rare to die from a spider bite. Espectally with the anti-venom you can get now.
Last edited by dragondust on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have long since stopped coming to these forums or playing wolfquest. If you've seen anybody using this account since maybe around September 2011, it is not actually me. Thank you.

SolitaryPride
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by SolitaryPride » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Depending on the size of the spider, it can be as little as one or two, or as much as a couple of thousand. However, for your common garden UK variety, it's likely to be a hundred or so.
Times that by how many spiders there are, there will never be to little for them to keep the other bug pets away, unless we went on a all spider extermination.
I for one only kill spiders that are in my house, but if their outside, they are doing nothing wrong
In other places I let them live, hoping other people won't see them
I do feel bad after I kill a spider, so I have a hard time doing it

I don't favor spiders after I found a big one of me when I fell alseep on my bean bag
Last edited by SolitaryPride on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------__/\
-------__/------\
------\___------\
---------- /------\
---------/--------\
---------\--------/
----------/-------\
------/\-/---------\
-----/--\'\__--__/
-----\______/
~Matue
African Stars Pack
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Originally: Dacoda
Avvie: Koa

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 pm

personally, i do not mind to see spiders, but just not those VERY big ones and NOT inside my house!

when I can't save them, I have to kill them, but I try first to get them out.
I agree with the information about that they have bugs and flies and stuff as prey. ;) That is correct.

DazzleBerry
Former WQ Moderator

Post by DazzleBerry » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 pm

I don't know if I have ever killed a spider actually. I don't have much problem with them, but I do worry that one day i'll get bitten. The horror stories I have heard about spider bites...
Has anyone here been bitten before?
EX-MODERATOR

Sunawa
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunawa » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:18 pm

I haven't been bitten,but I have a serious case of Arachnophobia.I try not to kill spiders,but part of my brain is wired to grab a rock and pound it to smithereens. xD
Last edited by Sunawa on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

True Love Is When You Would Die For Them
Or When Nothing Matters But Helping Them Through.

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

If Every Girl Could See Her Beauty, We Would Be An Army.

WixterWonderWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WixterWonderWolf » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Reason NO.1 is spiders are good to have around.They eat pest around you which is great!But im not sure if they eat butterflies if they do OH NOES! :!:

Cenetri
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Cenetri » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Heh, I don't kill spiders. I actually have a facination with them...

I'll find one in my room quite often, but no matter the species, I grab a jar, slide the paper on, watch it for a while... THEN let it go. Black Widdows, to me, are a very interesting species - so is the Brown Recluse spider. What they can do to people can be horrific, yet amazing for something so small, yet mighty.
=============--''--C E N E T R I
=========Proud WolfQuest Community Member
==============-==- - - - - - - -
Literature is born through pen and ink, mind and toil, lines and paper.
==============Write your own story.

===============-=- - - - - - - -
============--==Avatar © Cenetri

WixterWonderWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WixterWonderWolf » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:33 pm

:wink: I heard The more smaller the more posinous!