Aw man (Accurate mode)

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Aw man (Accurate mode)

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:29 pm

I decided to play like a real wolf-- mates can die and everything is realistic. I named my wolf 18F lol. Let me just say it is HARD trying to hunt for anything bigger than a rabbit, so expect to complete your mission in a few weeks instead of a few hours if you don't want to die at all.

What happened to 18F:
-Led tours an elk carcass in wolf territory, harassed by several coyotes and forced to abandon it
-Found a mule deer carcass but a sow and cub were guarding it and forced to abandon it
-Energy was very low, slept for a very brief time (not exactly sure if your wolf sleeps less in wolf territories but it seemed like it)
-Woke up to stranger wolf who chased me ALLLL the way out of the territory
-Slept again and found an elk herd
-Tried to hunt multiple elk (went after adult cows because it's actually more difficult when you go after a calf)
-Gave up on the elk hunt and found mule deer inside of wolf territory, went after calf and mother nearly killed 18F
-Slept again out of wolf territory
-Don't have enough health to do much besides hunt hares :(

I need some advice on how to survive like a real wolf, because at this point I'm hopeless haha. Also you can share your experiences about what happened to you in accurate mode!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Aw man (Accurate mode)

Post by elkhunter123456 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:47 pm

I mostly play on challenging but im also really good at accurate. (i can complete the hunting mission in like 15 minites on accurate) Here is some very helpful advice:
When you sleep in wolf territory you will wake up when an enemy wolf arrives to try to chase you out.
if your being grabbed by a enemy wolf spam the space bar as fast as you can.if you do then you will break free very quickly.
when hunting calves sprint between the calf and the mother. (you probably wont get kick while doing that) this will usually cause some more distcance between the calf and the cow(growling helps too) once you cause the calf to start running, sprint towards the calf and hold on just long enough for ONE tick of damage. if you can hold on for longer but ALWAYS keep an eye on the mom. the reason its wise to only hold on long enough for 1 tick of damge is so you can have more time to get out of there. if you bite the mom then the mom will temperily run away but will return very soon after. this time will give you a few seconds to bite the calf. remember, patience is key! heres a link that may help https://support.wolfquest.org/help/main ... rn-to-hunt
for hunting cows just circle around the cow and DO NOT bite the throat in less the cow is about to go on its knees.
for mule deer i would recomend only hunting fawns if the doe has 2 of them. she cant defend both of them, can she now?) it is also a good idea too hunt fawns near rocky areas because the mother has a hard time navigating the rocky surface. (there is a rocky area below the canyons) Does are the best type of deer to hunt though. remember that you can hold shift to sprint.
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks, that was super helpful and I almost killed an elk on accurate.. the reason for that was because I got sloppy and a stranger wolf chased me out ;-;

[edit]
I managed to kill 2 elk calves! I came across a black wolf with the highest diversity. Perfect, since I wanted a black mate with high diversity!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:58 pm

Nice! Killing elk calves takes forever on accurate, but it's definitely doable!

I must admit, though, that adult elk are a little bit easier to kill than their kids. And no, I did not mean for that sentence to sound as twisted as it does. :twisted: yummy yummy children
With all elk, their best spot to be bitten is on the shoulder, calves or adult. Remember to let go and then bite again when you start to receive heavy damage. Do not bite their necks until they are ready to drop. This is a risky move, as they can easily kick you when you're right there, and it doesn't even suck up that much health. The next spot to bite them is at the backs of their legs. But again, they can kick you, and doing this takes away as much health from your wolf as it does the elk.
And with mule deer, especially with fawns, their best spot to be bitten is their necks. Biting them on their necks saps their health and their stamina, and it also does neither for your wolf. The second best spot, especially when the hunt is just begun, is to bite them on their ankles and the backs of their legs. It helps slow them down and it also takes away a lot of health. Biting them on their shoulders, however, does no good. It barely dents their health and it can drain your own.

spruce56
Pup
Pup

Post by spruce56 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 am

For hunting calves, JayPlays on youtube made a very good guide, and I actually managed a perfect hunt on Accurate (didn't get kicked once by the mother elk). Once you've picked the weakest calf, circle them so that they stop, and let the herd move away. Then, back away (ideally towards the herd) - when you're far enough away, the the mother and calf with bolt for the herd, giving you a good opening to bite. If you back towards the herd, they will bolt right into you, making it easier.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:14 am

spruce56 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 am
For hunting calves, JayPlays on youtube made a very good guide, and I actually managed a perfect hunt on Accurate (didn't get kicked once by the mother elk). Once you've picked the weakest calf, circle them so that they stop, and let the herd move away. Then, back away (ideally towards the herd) - when you're far enough away, the the mother and calf with bolt for the herd, giving you a good opening to bite. If you back towards the herd, they will bolt right into you, making it easier.
That's what I do too! It's a very good strategy, I think.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Accurate mode is waaay harder than I expected it to be! Took me some error to get it down and I died a few times for sure. Its easy to get caught when you're unlucky, so always play it safe. Never risk fights and abandon hunts if they start to seem like they'll go downhill because getting your health back up is difficult. Go hunting often and don't let your hunger drop to close to halfway in case you have to abandon hunts.
Like TimberRaven said, hunting adult cows is actually way easier I find. If you don't have the health to tackle an elk go for a mule deer doe. If your hunger and health are low try to consume a bunch of hares until your hunger meter is more satisfied (or if you can try to find a carcass), this'll let you sleep to increase you health enough to hunt more safely. Your health will scarcely increase if your hunger is low. The Lamar Valley has a really high density of hares. If your mate is dying too you'll have to perk their health as well so this is something to consider. I spent about two hours hunting hares for me and my mate once to recover the both of us because I was reckless and tried to fight off two wolves who tried to claim a carcass.
When hunting, I find it's best to attack the ankles of your prey as this seems to do the greatest damage to them while the least to you. Look at the damage your bites do and let go and readjust if the numbers aren't good. I try to get it so the damage I'm doing doubles the damage the animal does to me. I find going for the shoulder or sides doesn't do as much damage. When the animal turns to face you either back away until they start running from you again or keep circling until you can get to their back legs again. When they start to go down you can let go and try for a throat bite if they're weak enough. If you have a mate it helps a lot!
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:55 am

My experience with accurate mode, which I just completed:

I played with my wolf Ash, who I customized with a random number generator. The hardest part was actually finding elk herds without them going into stranger wolf territory, I got killed by wolves twice while trying to hunt :(

My initial plan was to survive on rabbits and mule deer (which were easier kills) until winter so the elk could migrate, but that got pretty boring. I eventually ended up running into an elk herd and then immediately finding a cow elk at half of her health. How lucky is that?! I was feeling pretty pleased with my first elk, but a cougar ended up chasing me away from my kill. I found a second herd later and took out another elk, now that I was used to hunting in this difficulty.

I found a bold, social, energetic mate, with a grey and brown pelt and gorgeous dark orange eyes, named Hare. I initially wasn't aiming to court her (only 3 star diversity), but she ended coming back to see Ash twice, which I thought was pretty cute. Together we hunted a cow elk and a doe mule deer as the first few snow flurries began, and she accepted him as her mate :D

Accurate mode was tremendously difficult and fun, and a wildly different experience from easy mode. It's almost like playing two entirely different games, and I have nothing but praise for the team for making such different experiences for different players. For now, Ash's adventure is done, but I might report back on his experiences once Slough Creek is released.
To a new world of gods and monsters!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:30 pm

Thanks so much, all of you, for writing up these reports about Accurate difficulty -- it's really great to read them. Especially this observation:
PearlyReborn wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:55 am
It's almost like playing two entirely different games
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:53 am

I'm glad everyone's feedback is helpful :D Accurate mode was a fun challenge for me without being overly difficult or frustrating.
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”