Hunting Moose

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

HowlingBird
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Hunting Moose

Post by HowlingBird » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Today I was hanging around multiplayer looking for moose. We found a bull, but it was impossible to kill it without someone dying, and thus the achievement for hunting a bull moose in multiplayer wouldn't activate (that might be a bug). But I noticed something when I attacked the bull's hindquarters, if I attacked when it was busy intimidating the other players by lashing it's hooves out (that wasn't to cause damage), I would be safe and he wouldn't be able to stomp me when I bit and hung on from the back. I just felt like sharing this because this might really help some of you to take down more moose in the game. :D

What tactics have you found to work in a moose hunt? :moose:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Hunting Moose

Post by Koa » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:32 pm

Tips, Hints, and Help is really only for user requesting/receiving help. General discussion threads, including ones about hunting techniques, are best suited for General WolfQuest Discussion.
Moved to General WolfQuest Discussion.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:29 am

So far, hunting Bull Moose seems to be impossible--at least as far as I can tell in single-player. Cow Moose are easier. What I do is run past the Moose to trigger the bite-icon while having a mate to let my mate do most of the work. I step in at the end, and together, we bring down a cow Moose! I'm trying to figure out this Bull Moose, though. I think, like Bull Elk, they are a bit easier to kill in Multiplayer. I have yet to try it out, though.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:17 am

Bull Moose are definitely multiplayer-only, it's suicide to hunt them alone.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:19 am

duskypack wrote:Bull Moose are definitely multiplayer-only, it's suicide to hunt them alone.
I've realized that by now, haha. I must've died a billion times when hunting a bull moose alone. I'll have to ask though; where do you find the cow moose? I don't seem to be able to find any unfortunately...
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:53 am

HowlingBird wrote:We found a bull, but it was impossible to kill it without someone dying, and thus the achievement for hunting a bull moose in multiplayer wouldn't activate (that might be a bug).
In order to get the achievement for MP you need to bite the moose at least once between the last time you died and when the moose dies. You won't get the achievement if you die, respawn, and other players kill the moose before you can bite it again. You will get it if you die, respawn, bite the moose at least once before it is killed, and don't die again yourself.
Kamaal wrote:I've realized that by now, haha. I must've died a billion times when hunting a bull moose alone. I'll have to ask though; where do you find the cow moose? I don't seem to be able to find any unfortunately...
There's a 50/50 chance of a cow/bull moose spawning in any of the moosey habitats except the ridge in AM where the bulls fight. It seems you've just been hitting the wrong side of that ratio so far... but cow moose do spawn in almost all the places bull moose do.

Moose are definitely super hard to kill! I was shocked the first time one of them kicked me; I was dead in almost an instant! One thing I have noticed is that, unlike elk, bite-holding them drains your health all the way down. The better strategy seems to be quick single bites, hopefully with a lot of help from your mate or MP pack.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:18 am

Lobo Laughing wrote:Moose are definitely super hard to kill! I was shocked the first time one of them kicked me; I was dead in almost an instant! One thing I have noticed is that, unlike elk, bite-holding them drains your health all the way down. The better strategy seems to be quick single bites, hopefully with a lot of help from your mate or MP pack.
What I love about the Bull Moose is, unlike the Elk Moose, It doesn't move backward slowly when it spots you. It just stands there all tough and gruff as if to say, "Come at me--I dare you!"
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

wolfluvr101
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Rexx

Post by wolfluvr101 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:42 am

I've completely just given up trying to hunt moose in Single Player. I leave the moose hunting to multiplayer. My tactics seem to be the same. When the moose is distracted, I run up behind and hang on. As soon as I drop, I run out of range. I jump back in and bite around the rear end, trying to stay away from the front. Usually someone else takes the hits and I end up unscathed.
MP username: novasaurus
MP wolf name: Ylva

WindDancingHowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Lusa

Post by WindDancingHowl » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:51 am

I've tried the typical single player bull elk technique(bite, eat and repeat) but it takes such a long time to even make a dent in its health, and it tends to wander off while I eat.
"All good things are wild and free"- Henry David Thoreau
Proud WolfQuest player for 3 years

wolfadore
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfadore » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:49 pm

Phasoli wrote:So far, hunting Bull Moose seems to be impossible--at least as far as I can tell in single-player. Cow Moose are easier. What I do is run past the Moose to trigger the bite-icon while having a mate to let my mate do most of the work. I step in at the end, and together, we bring down a cow Moose! I'm trying to figure out this Bull Moose, though. I think, like Bull Elk, they are a bit easier to kill in Multiplayer. I have yet to try it out, though.
In single player, if you have a mate, i have learned to run right next to the moose, causing it to hit my mate, but then turn around and bite it while it is busy. This might be what your saying, but not sure. The only problem is that your mate has to leave almost constantly to get food, and a lot of the time, the moose doesn't take the bait. I have died multiple times trying to do it myself, but i have found that if it is a cow moose, you need lots of elk carcasses, but you can take one or two bites, go and eat, and repeat. Bulls are harder because you will spend forever trying and will probably die.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:26 am

I'm struggling so much to even find moose. I've only ever seen two bulls fighting in AM in singleplayer and one cow in multiplayer. Any tips?
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup

Post by CapriciousCeilican » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:47 am

I've managed to kill one in single player by herd slaughtering near a moose spawn site and just going about it by biting and then healing, repeat until it's dead. Same tactic for singleplayer bull elk hunting.
roguemoon wrote:I'm struggling so much to even find moose. I've only ever seen two bulls fighting in AM in singleplayer and one cow in multiplayer. Any tips?
Perhaps I could make a guide for where to find them later, but they often spawn by the small oxbow by Canyon Cliffs(and along the creek near that area), I've found them by Bison Peak Cutoff and in the open area directly west of the text on the map, and I've seen one spawn in the Old Oxbow and the area directly south of it, all the way to the creek. Occasionally I see one along the creek in the area between the secret den and the Sandbar. Hope that helped. :3

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 pm

HollowedWyld wrote: Perhaps I could make a guide for where to find them later, but they often spawn by the small oxbow by Canyon Cliffs(and along the creek near that area), I've found them by Bison Peak Cutoff and in the open area directly west of the text on the map, and I've seen one spawn in the Old Oxbow and the area directly south of it, all the way to the creek. Occasionally I see one along the creek in the area between the secret den and the Sandbar. Hope that helped. :3
Thank you! And I think the moose guide is a great idea- please do!
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Something interesting with the bull moose happened to me today while I was playing. I was running after a cougar that hadn't been "chased away" yet. The cougars are fast and turn in random directions. The cougar decided to run in the path of the two sparring bull moose on Amethyst. One moose ran away while the other bull charged the cougar, taking 50% of his health. I started chasing the cougar again and the cougar ran back in the direction of the moose. The moose kicked again, the cougar fell over, and the game gave me 335 experience points.

So in other words, a bull moose gave me free experience points.
I don't hunt them in singleplayer because it's pretty much a foregone conclusion the wolf will lose, even with a mate. In multiplayer you can do some damage if one wolf is facing the moose while another attacks the moose from the back. Then our wolves switch positions while one goes to a carcass to fill up.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Flamesky wrote:Something interesting with the bull moose happened to me today while I was playing. I was running after a cougar that hadn't been "chased away" yet. The cougars are fast and turn in random directions. The cougar decided to run in the path of the two sparring bull moose on Amethyst. One moose ran away while the other bull charged the cougar, taking 50% of his health. I started chasing the cougar again and the cougar ran back in the direction of the moose. The moose kicked again, the cougar fell over, and the game gave me 335 experience points.

So in other words, a bull moose gave me free experience points.
Wow, that sounds like an interesting experience indeed!

Props to the moose for giving you free experience points, lol.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”