Private Inbox Message-spam alert?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Private Inbox Message-spam alert?

Post by pawnee » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Hey everyone,

Wow it been a long time but I have been getting 'new message' alerts in my email inbox that says its from Wolfquest when really it is empty. I think it may be spam bots so just a head's up. Usually the links in the email are an open gateway for privacy breakage in these types of emails so proceed with caution or beware.

Thought I would let everyone know or see if anyone else is getting these messages.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Private Inbox Message-spam alert?

Post by Neamara » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:02 am

Hi pawnee,
pawnee wrote:I have been getting 'new message' alerts in my email inbox that says its from Wolfquest when really it is empty. I think it may be spam bots so just a head's up.
Just to clarify, are you receiving e-mail notifications stating that you have received a new private message which does not exist when you login to the forums? Or are these e-mails unrelated to your community forum account?

For the first scenario, it sounds like you're receiving private messages from a spambot which has already been caught, banned and deleted. I'm positive that this action also permanently deletes any messages in the account's outbox which could explain the lack of any new messages in your inbox when you login; since usernames are also displayed in generated e-mails sent from the forum, we'd also be able to confirm whether or not it was a spambot. Feel free to get in contact with me or wolf567 if you don't want to post the username(s) here. We attempt to remove spammers from the community as soon as we can, but as things are right now, it just isn't possible to patrol and purge these accounts 24/7.

For the second scenario and adding to Ever-green, what exactly does the e-mail look like if the above is not the case? When in doubt, inspect the e-mail source to confirm that it hasn't been spoofed or otherwise tampered with.
Spoiler
Show
Genuine e-mail source should look similar to the following-
  • X-Mailer: phpBB3
    X-phpBB-Origin: phpbb://wolfquest.org/bb
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - host2.wolfquest.org
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - host2.wolfquest.org
    X-Authenticated-Sender: host2.wolfquest.org: admin@wolfquest.org
    X-Source: /usr/local/bin/lsphp
    X-Source-Args: lsphp:/home/wolfques/public_html/bb/cron.php
    X-Source-Dir: wolfquest.org:/public_html/bb-3.0.10
    Return-Path: wolfques@host2.wolfquest.org
Nothing interesting happens.

[
XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”