Twelve Player MP Game?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Rustic » Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 pm

Hopefully you guys get some good info from testing so that officially we can at some point have more than 5 wolves in a game. It as I mentioned earlier ( joined one with around 12 wolves) fun for multi pack rp. I think for this at least 8 would be good (3 more than current max)
That would allow for either one rather large pack or two to three smaller packs.

As mentioned above somewhere when all were talking at once it WAS rather confusing lol. As someone mentioned a larger chat window would be helpful (I'm all for this, as others know...as well as larger text lol) but as Skulleh mentioned different chat channels would also work to alleviate this issue.

Sort of sad to hear that the 'mega' games will be ending with the next patch update...but as said, hopefully you guys will get some good info from apparently the many such type games run over the weekend I missed, to eventually allow for this to be official one day.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:44 am

We're going to try to increase the player-limit for MP games from five to eight. That seems to be about what the game can handle before lag becomes an issue. We also need to do some tuning in terms of elk-hunting difficulty, and that gets more problematic with larger games.

We won't get the patch out for awhile, but I do want to crack down on this hack now, since larger games offer poorer experiences, especially for players who don't realize they are hacks/experiments. So if you see one, please PM me the name of the host player and I'll contact them.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:56 am

loboLoco wrote:We're going to try to increase the player-limit for MP games from five to eight. That seems to be about what the game can handle before lag becomes an issue. We also need to do some tuning in terms of elk-hunting difficulty, and that gets more problematic with larger games.

We won't get the patch out for awhile, but I do want to crack down on this hack now, since larger games offer poorer experiences, especially for players who don't realize they are hacks/experiments. So if you see one, please PM me the name of the host player and I'll contact them.
Alright, thanks for keeping us up to date, Dave. I'll be sure to do so if I happen to see any of those.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Skulleh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Skulleh » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Kinda disappointing to hear the limit will only be raised to 8. That small limit makes multi-pack rp impossible, and what about friend groups who want to play WQ together that may be larger than 8 people?

Someone said 8 would be enough for two to three smaller packs but to be honest, no, it wouldn't. Three smaller packs? The only way to divide that would be for two packs to only have three wolves and one to have two.

...Two. Two is not a pack, two is a pair.

Three wolves is also not enough for a pack. Neither is four- which would be the amount if 8 people split into two packs.

I think that, at the least, the limit should be 12. The limit of 12 has been shown multiple times to work perfectly fine, and would work even better with my idea of chat channels. Then there could be three packs of at least four(still very small) or two packs of six. That would work a lot better than just 8. 8 is way too small, to be honest.

Lag really depends on the player's computer, not the game itself or the number of players(or the server, as someone on Facebook claimed). Games such as Impressive Title servers, which are not hosted on megaservers, but simply hosted from some person's router, work perfectly fine with more than 30+ people in one map at one time.

Honestly? Lag comes more from the environment than playercount. All the bushes, trees, water reflection systems, prey AI, and etc. all would cause more lag than any number of players would. The amount of players has a very small connection to lag issues.

If someone is lagging in a larger game, then it is an issue with their computer and, if their computer can't handle it, they can simply go to a smaller server.

If you insist on making the public cap at 8, at least consider larger numbers for private games.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Well larger numbers can be really frustrating when it comes to RPing sessions and not to mention the lag the higher number of people causes. I support Dave's decision, 8 people in a game is just fine.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Likewise, I agree with the team's decision. Eight is a good balance in terms of stability and performance. Not a huge increase, no, but less demanding on the server and other players. Not everyone has a powerful device or the greatest internet... but it's better than no change at all. :wink:
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Skulleh wrote:Kinda disappointing to hear the limit will only be raised to 8. That small limit makes multi-pack rp impossible, and what about friend groups who want to play WQ together that may be larger than 8 people?

Someone said 8 would be enough for two to three smaller packs but to be honest, no, it wouldn't. Three smaller packs? The only way to divide that would be for two packs to only have three wolves and one to have two.

...Two. Two is not a pack, two is a pair.

Three wolves is also not enough for a pack. Neither is four- which would be the amount if 8 people split into two packs.

I think that, at the least, the limit should be 12. The limit of 12 has been shown multiple times to work perfectly fine, and would work even better with my idea of chat channels. Then there could be three packs of at least four(still very small) or two packs of six. That would work a lot better than just 8. 8 is way too small, to be honest.

Lag really depends on the player's computer, not the game itself or the number of players(or the server, as someone on Facebook claimed). Games such as Impressive Title servers, which are not hosted on megaservers, but simply hosted from some person's router, work perfectly fine with more than 30+ people in one map at one time.

Honestly? Lag comes more from the environment than playercount. All the bushes, trees, water reflection systems, prey AI, and etc. all would cause more lag than any number of players would. The amount of players has a very small connection to lag issues.

If someone is lagging in a larger game, then it is an issue with their computer and, if their computer can't handle it, they can simply go to a smaller server.

If you insist on making the public cap at 8, at least consider larger numbers for private games.
When we refer to 'lag', we are talking about 'internet lag', not the stuttering/lag you get when your FPS is poor.

We have tested this intensely (we have a variety of computers on the Beta team), and even just 10 players was deemed to be too much and caused performance issues. 10 players was practically unplayable, and it didn't matter if you lowered your graphics all the way to fastest.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:23 pm

I fully support 8 also as that seems to be the amount this area of land in real life supports, which is only part of where the lamar canyon pack I believe resides. plus it still would give it a fun air with pups too. maybe a 'risk' type game could be made out of the pack life rooms since the earlier idea from dave, of wolf vs. elk wouldn't be feasible due to the elk just constantly moving away from the wolves with a map that size, if the lag isn't too harsh for everyone. A faster paced out of social arena in multi-player could be experimented with where territory can be gained or lost depending on how well the pack marks its territory and keeps it defended
Go your own way

kyrielross
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Harvest or Harvey

Post by kyrielross » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:14 am

I was literally just playing on a server with not 12, but 20 players on it. My graphics are on good, and it was relatively lag free. The host ended the game, and only then did I realize I should have gotten down their name or something. Seriously though, I don't know how people are hosting games with crazy amounts of players like this.

Also, I think that a maximum of 8 players would be pretty cool. I mean, it's not enough for multipack roleplays, but it could work for a large pack or two packs of 4?

5aba
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 5aba » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:19 am

I was on multiplayer just yesterday and I saw a lobby that had a capacity of 20! I joined cause I was curious and sure enough there were 9 of us in there. The host ended the game a few minutes later but then I got a private message inviting me to a private game. Same deal. There were around 10 of us in there at one point. The game ran perfectly. No lagging or glitches.

[Kura]
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by [Kura] » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:31 pm

I saw a game hosting 100 People at once...
The game ended really quick before I could take a screenshot... but I didn't join (I was waiting for my friend to open a game)

Smolcurl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Smolcurl » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Shiverdam wrote:Just day before yesterday I was traversing the MP games, when a game showed up that had a TWELVE (12) player capacity. It read 8/12 on the player count, and I joined. Sure enough there were now nine wolves darting around the Slough Creek map. I pulled up the map screen to see all the little blue dots. Everyone in-game was using the phrase chat to the best of their ability to express their... Excitement? Confusion? Soon after I joined, the game host ended the game. I was sad it ended so quickly, because this 12-player capacity seemed like it would have been really fun! Especially in RP-centered private games, there could be multiple packs around the map.
The upped player count did not affect the integrity of the game performance. I seemed to run just fine. I'm not sure how it would be if pups were involved; things might start getting glitchy/laggy then. But it was a Pack Life game so that wasn't a concern.

But my main question is, how was this pulled off? How is it possible (unless shenanigans were involved, eg hacking), that 12 players are allowed in one game?
I just went into a game that was allowed SIXTY (60) PLAYERS AND IT WAS SO COOL OMGG

-Amsel-

Post by -Amsel- » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:25 am

OHMYGOSH.

I was just in a game that allowed 20 players, and the hosts wolf was HOT PINK.
Why.
Just why.

Nere
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Nere » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:28 pm

I got in a fifteen player game once, and the whole thing worked fine; we ended up having a private chat game.
Будь бесстрашным храбрым и хитрым

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”