Twelve Player MP Game?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by loboLoco » Sun May 29, 2016 9:20 am

Fascinating, Yes, Shiverdam, please PM that info.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun May 29, 2016 9:47 am

WolfQuest: MMO edition. Sounds promising.
(Jokes aside, that's the first time I've seen this. Thanks for the screenshots, Shiverdam.)

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Sun May 29, 2016 10:47 am

Here guys I was just in a public game in AM which allowed 20 people in. To my surprise the game wasn't lagging at all. Dave I can PM you the host's info if you please.

Here are some pics: X X
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Shiverdam
Pup
Pup

Post by Shiverdam » Sun May 29, 2016 10:58 am

Kamaal wrote:Here guys I was just in a public game in AM which allowed 20 people in. To my surprise the game wasn't lagging at all. Dave I can PM you the host's info if you please.

Here are some pics: X X
Woooow. Holy heck. 20 people? Dang
"Shiverdarn" in-game

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun May 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Shiverdam told me the hack. We'll block it in the next patch release, but in the meantime, we can take advantage of it! We have thought about increasing the max number of players in MP games -- it'll require some interface layout work and also some stress testing to see what the new higher limit should be. The latter is more difficult than the former. So I've asked some beta testers to use the hack to start MP games with up to 12 players, and then monitor performance as players join and do various things. That should provide valuable data that will guide is in setting a new, higher limit.

So if you see one of those games in the coming days, please do join it and help us investigate this question. Thanks!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Sun May 29, 2016 1:53 pm

loboLoco wrote:Shiverdam told me the hack. We'll block it in the next patch release, but in the meantime, we can take advantage of it! We have thought about increasing the max number of players in MP games -- it'll require some interface layout work and also some stress testing to see what the new higher limit should be. The latter is more difficult than the former. So I've asked some beta testers to use the hack to start MP games with up to 12 players, and then monitor performance as players join and do various things. That should provide valuable data that will guide is in setting a new, higher limit.

So if you see one of those games in the coming days, please do join it and help us investigate this question. Thanks!

Well as far as I've seen 12 players are a bit much considering that you can't really chat and so forth. The lag may not be major (which it isn't) but still it's frustrating. 20 people in one server on the other hand is way too much, but still it doesn't really lag. The problem here is when people start chatting... You just start to lose it...

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun May 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Kamaal wrote:Well as far as I've seen 12 players are a bit much considering that you can't really chat and so forth. The lag may not be major (which it isn't) but still it's frustrating. 20 people in one server on the other hand is way too much, but still it doesn't really lag. The problem here is when people start chatting... You just start to lose it...
Good points. I'd love to hear other comments about what we should set as the player-limit for MP games.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Sun May 29, 2016 2:13 pm

I just wanted to ask this; Are you still hiring beta testers for the computer version of the game? -- If yes, I'm interested in participating.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sun May 29, 2016 3:15 pm

any way to make the server work better for those out in the countryside? other multiplayer games work okay but wq crashes usually within minuets for me, I feel like bigger servers would need more 'power' persay?
Last edited by Wolvencall on Sun May 29, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go your own way

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sun May 29, 2016 3:19 pm

Wolvencall wrote:any way to make the server work better for those out in the countryside? other multiplayer games work okay but wq crashes usually within minuets for me
Please stay on topic. This thread is about a "hack" that allows for more players than is usually allowed in a multiplayer game, and not about the servers the game runs on (which would be my guess about what the problem is considering other games are fine for you, but I'm not an "expert" or anything like that on the matter by any means) or about connection problems.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun May 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Wolvencall wrote:any way to make the server work better for those out in the countryside? other multiplayer games work okay but wq crashes usually within minuets for me
This seems to be a fairly rare but not unknown problem. We've gotten some debugging help from players who suffer from it, but don't see anything indicating a problem in the game. These disconnects seem to occur on the multiplayer servers (which are run by a big gaming service), and my next step is to get their help in analyzing what's happening. Can you send an email to bugs@wolfquest.org with details? (Does it always happen? Does it happen more at certain times of day, or with games with a certain number of players already in it?)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Shiverdam
Pup
Pup

Post by Shiverdam » Sun May 29, 2016 3:47 pm

I've been having quite a bit of fun with this! I've only done 12-player games so far but I'll try lower numbers soon. When everyone is spread apart on the map, it runs pretty well. However when everyone comes together, wolves start jumping around and glitching a bit. At least on the "Good" setting.
"Shiverdarn" in-game

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun May 29, 2016 6:17 pm

I'll be starting a game in a few minutes (called "SizeTesting"). Feel free to join.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Sun May 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Agreed, this would definitely be more entertaining than just five players.

I'll be making my own testing server for about 18 people (SizeTest). If you see it, please feel free to head on in.

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

Shiverdam
Pup
Pup

Post by Shiverdam » Sun May 29, 2016 8:24 pm

A few things I noticed having so many players: Carcasses last no time at all. Maybe depending on the amount of players, carcasses will last longer/less. Along the same vein, stronger elk. Have 12 people go at one elk, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. If there was a way to adjust the game difficulty based on player count, that would be optimal.

And about the chat; if the window was taller to allow people to see more messages at once, in larger games it would be very useful. Maybe the chat window could even be collapsible, so it wouldn't take up too much space when not in use?

And I haven't tried it yet, but pup games. Perhaps a new game option could be made in the future, to allow games with larger player counts to split into two/three packs at separate dens, and each pack could try and thwart the others from raising their young. In this case maybe the pups-per-pack could be reduced to 2, to soften server strain, as well as reduced predators, since the other players would be trying to get your pups already. This could also incorporate the social arena idea that other people have suggested in the past.

ANYWAY, I'm thinking too far ahead but these were the ideas I had swimming about.
"Shiverdarn" in-game

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”