Twelve Player MP Game?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

User avatar
Shiverdam
Pup
Pup
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Shiverdam » Sat May 28, 2016 10:04 am

Just day before yesterday I was traversing the MP games, when a game showed up that had a TWELVE (12) player capacity. It read 8/12 on the player count, and I joined. Sure enough there were now nine wolves darting around the Slough Creek map. I pulled up the map screen to see all the little blue dots. Everyone in-game was using the phrase chat to the best of their ability to express their... Excitement? Confusion? Soon after I joined, the game host ended the game. I was sad it ended so quickly, because this 12-player capacity seemed like it would have been really fun! Especially in RP-centered private games, there could be multiple packs around the map.
The upped player count did not affect the integrity of the game performance. I seemed to run just fine. I'm not sure how it would be if pups were involved; things might start getting glitchy/laggy then. But it was a Pack Life game so that wasn't a concern.

But my main question is, how was this pulled off? How is it possible (unless shenanigans were involved, eg hacking), that 12 players are allowed in one game?
"Shiverdarn" in-game

User avatar
DerpBacon
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:25 pm
Name: Jay
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by DerpBacon » Sat May 28, 2016 10:39 am

Wowsers, twelve? That's a first.

In all honestly, I think that it was a glitch of sorts, which may explain why the host left as soon as you joined. Did you manage to get a screenshot?

the house of the rising sun

flumen vitae
Avatar by LupinzPack.

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by loboLoco » Sat May 28, 2016 10:45 am

I got another report of a 10-player game recently. I think somebody has hacked the game files to allow more players. I am thinking about increasing that limit, but it'll require some testing and some graphical interface work. Right now we're focused on the mobile versions and the June update. If anyone sees this, I would be curious to see a screenshot of the Pack Stats panel. I assume that players who join after the first five are simply not listed.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
Shiverdam
Pup
Pup
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Shiverdam » Sat May 28, 2016 11:14 am

DerpBacon wrote:Wowsers, twelve? That's a first.

In all honestly, I think that it was a glitch of sorts, which may explain why the host left as soon as you joined. Did you manage to get a screenshot?
I wish I did. I was hoping to actually play a legit game with all these people, I didn't think about it.

loboLoco wrote:I got another report of a 10-player game recently. I think somebody has hacked the game files to allow more players. I am thinking about increasing that limit, but it'll require some testing and some graphical interface work. Right now we're focused on the mobile versions and the June update. If anyone sees this, I would be curious to see a screenshot of the Pack Stats panel. I assume that players who join after the first five are simply not listed.
If I see it again, I'll definitely screen it. However, I did check the pack stats panel, and it did list more than five names, which lead me to think it was a legitimate update.
"Shiverdarn" in-game

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by loboLoco » Sat May 28, 2016 11:22 am

Shiverdam wrote:If I see it again, I'll definitely screen it. However, I did check the pack stats panel, and it did list more than five names, which lead me to think it was a legitimate update.
Really? What did it look like? Were the player-name buttons just spread across the screen, extending beyond the brown panel?
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
Shiverdam
Pup
Pup
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Shiverdam » Sat May 28, 2016 11:27 am

loboLoco wrote:
Shiverdam wrote:If I see it again, I'll definitely screen it. However, I did check the pack stats panel, and it did list more than five names, which lead me to think it was a legitimate update.
Really? What did it look like? Were the player-name buttons just spread across the screen, extending beyond the brown panel?
There were eight names on the panel, and it was still within it. If there had been 12 players, I'm sure it would have extended off. I'm going to spend some time in MP today to try and spot another one.
"Shiverdarn" in-game

User avatar
Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Rustic » Sat May 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Sounds like it would be fun to run and hunt with a large group and would make for some fun rp (could have multiple packs)

User avatar
Shiverdam
Pup
Pup
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Shiverdam » Sat May 28, 2016 5:06 pm

All right! I got the screen shots! This game was called "Hunting."

As promised, the pack stats screen. Nine names are shown, but there were twelve people in game when I took this. I think the length of the name depends on the cutoff.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... g~original

The map screen. Look at all those dots.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... g~original


I took this one to show how many people there were. There are seven wolves in this screenshot, including my own.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... g~original
"Shiverdarn" in-game

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Kamaal » Sat May 28, 2016 5:50 pm

Shiverdam wrote:All right! I got the screen shots! This game was called "Hunting."

As promised, the pack stats screen. Nine names are shown, but there were twelve people in game when I took this. I think the length of the name depends on the cutoff.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... g~original

The map screen. Look at all those dots.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... g~original


I took this one to show how many people there were. There are seven wolves in this screenshot, including my own.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... g~original
That's so odd, yet quite interesting... I'm still confused however; How was this player able to have so many people in one server?
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.
Avatar © LupinzPack

User avatar
DerpBacon
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:25 pm
Name: Jay
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by DerpBacon » Sat May 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Kamaal wrote:That's so odd, yet quite interesting... I'm still confused however; How was this player able to have so many people in one server?
As Dave stated, it was probably the person who was supposedly "hacking" the game files.

the house of the rising sun

flumen vitae
Avatar by LupinzPack.

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Kamaal » Sat May 28, 2016 5:56 pm

DerpBacon wrote:
Kamaal wrote:That's so odd, yet quite interesting... I'm still confused however; How was this player able to have so many people in one server?
As Dave stated, it was probably the person who was supposedly "hacking" the game files.
Well probably -- but still... is it this easy to "hack" the game itself?
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.
Avatar © LupinzPack

User avatar
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 3491
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 am
Name: Rowan
Gender: Male
Location: southern icefields

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by valkea » Sat May 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Someone hacking the game files would be my guess as well, I don't know of any glitches that could be abused to allow more players into a server than usual and I'm not sure how someone would even go about doing that. Concerning that people are hacking the game, but at least they're kinda testing games with more than 5 players? Unintentional beta testers. Fun.

Regarding how "easy" it is to hack the game, no matter how difficult you make it to hack a game people will find a way. I'm not sure how easy or complicated it is to hack WQ specifically, but still.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

_____________________

avatar - lupinzpack

User avatar
Shiverdam
Pup
Pup
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Shiverdam » Sat May 28, 2016 7:18 pm

It appears to be the same person hosting the game every time. A bunch of people show up, then they go "Be Right Back" and end the game. The same thing happens. It has also always been on the Slough Creek winter map, which makes the game that much more laggy because of the snow. The game host has also suggested private games, but has not come through. Maybe it NEEDS to be a public Slough Creek winter game to work?

EDIT: I was invited into a private game and they explained how it was done. Fairly simple. I won't share the details here, but loboLoco, I can PM you if you want. I wrote it down.
"Shiverdarn" in-game

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat May 28, 2016 10:22 pm

Woah, that's insane. Well, unintentional beta testers then, heh.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Avatar is copyright Koa

User avatar
Nor-easter Forecast
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:16 am
Gender: Female
Location: Southwestern USA

Re: Twelve Player MP Game?

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sun May 29, 2016 6:33 am

Shiverdam wrote:It appears to be the same person hosting the game every time. A bunch of people show up, then they go "Be Right Back" and end the game. The same thing happens. It has also always been on the Slough Creek winter map, which makes the game that much more laggy because of the snow. The game host has also suggested private games, but has not come through. Maybe it NEEDS to be a public Slough Creek winter game to work?

EDIT: I was invited into a private game and they explained how it was done. Fairly simple. I won't share the details here, but loboLoco, I can PM you if you want. I wrote it down.
I'm sure Dave would appreciate that! Also, I've found and played this monster game in AM, which makes me think that SC is not a requirement. However, when I saw and reported it a week or so ago, the game maxed out at ten. It looks like the hacker has been steadily increasing the number of people they can host. Thank you for getting details on their story, Shiverdam.

I guess if this guy wants to unintentionally beta test, then let him go for it. The only thing is that he isn't telling us is much because, however he made a game, it is bound to be much more unstable than something built into the WQ game. I also just don't like that it makes the WQ team look bad since it's not part of an officially controlled experiment. Still, at least it shows us that big games are possible.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Post Reply

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”