Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Post by paperpaws » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Updated the first post to reflect the fact that―following the launch of the Anniversary Edition―the Team is once again no longer actively looking for ideas (with no doubt more than enough on their plate to keep them occupied for a while yet!). Do feel free to continue sharing and discussing your musings on the game!

Stormwards
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Stormwards » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:00 am

Markings. I want markings added to the game to diversify appearances. Stuff like circles around the eyes, a stripe running down the nose, a patch on the chest, face being darker/lighter than the body, legs or feet being darker/lighter than the body, underbelly being darker/lighter, etc. Ideally you'd be able to alter the color of your markings in the same way you choose your pelt color, so you can decide what you want them to look like. You'd also be able to mix and match them, such as choosing all markings at once, just a few, just one, or none at all. Here are some wolves with interesting markings that I think would be nice additions to the game:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/41/94/5e ... 7b1ec5.jpg - Notice the lighter chest, underbelly, legs, and cheeks, with the dark stripe running down the nose. Interesting markings that we currently aren't able to add to characters.
Or, http://wolfpark.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ure006.jpg - white spots above the eyes, like eyebrows, and a white mouth.
http://wolfpark.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ure010.jpg - Lower half of the muzzle is white, and he has white socks, along with a white chest and underbelly.
- Black wolf with a long white streak spreading from his chin to his underbelly.

I think it'd be awesome if all of these, and more, could be added. Imagine adding markings to your wolf in any color you want, as long as it's a shade of white, brown, gray, or black. You could add stockings, socks, different underbelly coloring, patches of differently colored fur on or around the chest/chin/nose/muzzle/eyes, a tail tip of a different color, etc. I think this would make the variations of appearance much more diverse and fun to mess around with.

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:25 am

Stormwards wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:00 am
Markings. I want markings added to the game to diversify appearances. Stuff like circles around the eyes, a stripe running down the nose, a patch on the chest, face being darker/lighter than the body, legs or feet being darker/lighter than the body, underbelly being darker/lighter, etc. Ideally you'd be able to alter the color of your markings in the same way you choose your pelt color, so you can decide what you want them to look like. You'd also be able to mix and match them, such as choosing all markings at once, just a few, just one, or none at all. Here are some wolves with interesting markings that I think would be nice additions to the game:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/41/94/5e ... 7b1ec5.jpg - Notice the lighter chest, underbelly, legs, and cheeks, with the dark stripe running down the nose. Interesting markings that we currently aren't able to add to characters.
Or, http://wolfpark.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ure006.jpg - white spots above the eyes, like eyebrows, and a white mouth.
http://wolfpark.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ure010.jpg - Lower half of the muzzle is white, and he has white socks, along with a white chest and underbelly.
- Black wolf with a long white streak spreading from his chin to his underbelly.

I think it'd be awesome if all of these, and more, could be added. Imagine adding markings to your wolf in any color you want, as long as it's a shade of white, brown, gray, or black. You could add stockings, socks, different underbelly coloring, patches of differently colored fur on or around the chest/chin/nose/muzzle/eyes, a tail tip of a different color, etc. I think this would make the variations of appearance much more diverse and fun to mess around with.
This sounds like a really nice idea, but some of these I don't think quite meet the realism requirements. To me at least, some of the photos provided appear to be wolfdogs or edited images used for character purposes, which is one of the problems with internet images; it can be hard to tell what's real.

Typically, the colours of wolf coats tend to blend together quite well (wolves don't get socks like you'd see in a cat). I don't think I have seen wolves which are darker underneath, either. However, I really do like the idea of being able to lighten just the underside of the wolf (chest, underbelly, legs etc.), as many of my character designs feature coats like this. If this were to be added, there could be a slider to affect the intensity of the lightening, while still maintaining a smooth transition.
┌────────────────┤├────────────────┐
When the sky is clear and day has turned to night,
the land is touched by a beautiful moonlight.
└────────────────────────────────────┘

JordyWild
Pup
Pup

Post by JordyWild » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:41 pm

I have some ideas! Small but mighty in my opinion!

I would love to be able to bury the chunk of meat your able to carry around and unearth it! Of course if left unattended another scavenger can of course unearth it and eat it, as for the birds...maybe they could? I am unsure but i think it'd be cool if it protected your food from the birds if you buried it!

Something I'd love to see return is pawprints in the snow! It was one of my favorite things in Slough Creek in the winter was running around and seeing the pawprints left behind, and of course hoof prints left behind by the prey! Since snow is now in Amethyst Mountain, perhaps this would be a possibility?

While we're on the snow topic, i think it'd be cool if you could see your wolf's breath in the cold? And it progressively gets heavier the more the wolf pants by running/sprinting. This would probably be difficult but I think it'd definitely add to the immersion effect!
See You on The Wildside

Subscribe to my new Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH2PFW ... 8-t0I_5C2g
Check out my JordyWild Fan site! For all the latest updates and videos! http://jordywolfgamer.wixsite.com/mysite

Formerly: JordyWolfGamer
JordyWild by © WilderProductions

Siml
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Siml » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:04 am

It would be nice if you can find the in game tips back somewhere in the game menu. Some where gone so fast or i was just busy running to place that i couldn't read the whole tip. this would also be helpful for those who don't understand English that well, so they can read everything on there one speed and possibly use a translation machine.

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:43 pm

If that isn't possible, then maybe have time temporarily slow down while selecting an emote. It would just be much more convenient.
How about if at the press of a button the emotes menu comes up in a similar way to the map, persisting on the screen and momentarily pausing the game, until a choice is selected? I use an x-box controller to play the game and it is a royal pain to use the emotes panel as I have to press the d-pad (and hold it in) while I then have to find and select my desired emote via the mouse. MUCH easier if that panel persisted and momentarily froze time, after all in reality the interactions of these two wolves would be instantaneous so a momentary pause of the game (at least in single player) should not really hurt or affect the game much...but as said not sure if it would impact multiplayer when that eventually comes out.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:59 am

Alright, I know that there have been lots of suggestions for new animals over the years, and we are getting more new ones soon (like the Bighorn Sheep and Beaver) but I think that some more diverse wildlife, even if players don't often see them and can't really interact with them much, would definitely help the game world feel more alive. The different small bird species in 2.7 really helped to add some nice worldbuilding and added some more life to the maps, and I'd like to see those small birds brought back (the Sparrow, American Robin, Western Tanager and Mountain Chickadee are the birds I'm referring to). In addition, some water-based birds like Canada Geese and Common Loons would also help to make the world feel more alive, even if they wouldn't have much interaction with players.

As for new prey animals, we know that Bison are planned for a future episode, but I think that Pronghorn would also make a great addition to areas like the Lamar Valley, and I know that they are on the WolfQuest wishlist. I've always associated Mule Deer and Pronghorn with the American West, and the two similar-sized species are often depicted alongside one another, and I personally think the Pronghorn's extreme speed would complement the Mule Deer's agility and stotting behavior quite well, making for a great challenge. More small prey animals would also be great additions and would also add to the immersion. The White-Tailed Jackrabbit would be great for this, even though it is quite similar to the Snowshoe Hares we already have in the game. Large, plump rodents like the Yellow-Belied Marmot would also make a good addition, and could potentially make good hunting practice for older pups in the Tower Fall episode. Even some of the rarer large prey animals in Yellowstone would be cool to see at some point, like White-Tailed Deer (Scarcely seen in Yellowstone but would be interesting to hunt nonetheless) and Mountain Goats (though these would fill a very similar role to the Bighorn Sheep). Even if these rarer ungulates aren't ever actually added, just being able to find carcasses of them or signs that they are in the area would still be pretty interesting to see.

In regards to new competitors, we know that Black Bears are planned for the future, but there are a few other animals that could potentially fit in with the existing animals in the game. Though Wolverines and Canadian Lynx are rare in Yellowstone and generally avoid wolves, being able to occasionally see one on rare occasions could be a unique experience, though they definitely wouldn't add much to the overall gameplay. Though the smaller bobcat could make a good addition to the cliffs of Amethyst Mountain, they pose the same problem as the Lynx and Wolverine in that they are rarely seen in Yellowstone and usually avoid wolves, so they also wouldn't add much to the gameplay. If more small prey were added, badgers could act as a good competitor. Otters and other weasel species would definitely add some great ambiance but wouldn't have much value to the gameplay due to their lack of interaction with wolves, but like the bird species I mentioned earlier, they definitely would add some more life to the game and make the landscapes feel more lively.

Unknownstudy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Unknownstudy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:50 am

A day counter to see how long you've survived with a particular wolf. Have it be on the Pack Stats screen. It wouldn't do much, but it'd be a neat little addition for people who try to do more "hardcore" playthroughs and try to beat their last wolf's survival time.

Also, when episode 2 is released, could there be a way to make the surviving puppies into a player character wolf? Like on the "My Wolves" screen, they'd show up with the stats, coat, and personality the game gave them (and the name the player gave them). To make it easier for people who want to continue playing as one of their puppies. Maybe in settings, toggle it as an (on/off) thing for people who don't want a bunch of new wolves added to their game after every episode 2 playthrough.

Oh, and a death counter for each individual wolf. Also when you continue the game after episode 2 or 3 with your old wolves, you have the option to go back to Amythest mountain with your mate (or to search for a new one if your mate died during episode 2 or 3). Start the cycle all over again.

Halfkyn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Halfkyn

Post by Halfkyn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Ideas

1. A mechanic where the Amethyst River is a subworld and you make that journey to Slough by actively following the river.
2. Pleese put "are you sure" when saving and reloading previous saves. I was almost done killing a calf and I thought I was saving the game but i just reloaded to my last manual save .
~Halfkyn

Cookels
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Cookels » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 am

When multiplayer with pvp comes out for WQ: AE there should be a function that prevents people from constantly killing and attacking the other players and thus disturbing the game.

My suggestion is that every player should be able to decide individually and at any time wether he/she wants to be attacked or not. For example, when you are being attackt constantly by a person, you could just press a hotkey and be safe from the attacker. Of course, you wouldn't be able to attack other playes as well, if you have this "protective shield" on. This would be unfair.

With this it is also possible to abuse this "protective shield". For example, when two playes agree to fight each other and one of them is very close to dying he/she could just use the shield and trick the other player. I can imagine that this would be pretty frustrating.
Therefore my idea is that if you are being attacked by another person, you won't be able to use that shield after fighting back twice (using the spacebar two times) and the first attack could be an accident.
This way you need to agree to engage in this fight and wouldn't be able to go back. Of course, you can always run away and after a certain time (maybe 40 - 60 seconds after running away) you can use your shield again. This should only work if you don't attack your opponent again.

Rain
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rain » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:50 am

I think many have suggested this: in Lost River it would be fun to be able to enter the houses! Maybe not all of them, but those with open doors.
"Just say something!"
"Something."

RainnWQ
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Cassidy

Post by RainnWQ » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Some single player suggestions

Rival Wolves
*Competitor wolves show submission on low health (running with tail between legs, whining, etc)
*Ability to struggle from a competitor wolf's grasp when it's attacking you (key sequence? It gets frustrating when multiple wolves are attacking you and you can't escape)
*A tip about dispersal wolves says they do not want trouble, but they will still growl and attack you on sight

Emotes
*Ability to assign hotkeys
*Double tap G = Aggressive growl
*Able to growl with tail raised (Currently if you try to growl with your tail up, the tail goes down)

Mates
*Able to see your mate's personality sliders after becoming their mate (Cautious/Bold, Loner/Social, Lazy/Energetic)
*Option to sleep close to each other (Maybe huddling close together in winter for warmth)

Customization
*Blind eyes
*Bluish-grey pelt color
*Build (Muscularity, etc)

Personality
*Dominant/Submissive (Dominant wolves are more confident and willing to fight, submissive wolves are passive and try to avoid conflict)
"Never underestimate the power of an alpha female."
Main character: Aquila

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Personality
*Dominant/Submissive (Dominant wolves are more confident and willing to fight, submissive wolves are passive and try to avoid conflict)
This is technically already in the game, isn't it? As Cautious/Bold. More Bold wolves will fight just about anything and be pretty confident about things, while Cautious ones are more passive and will avoid fighting and only take initiative when they know it's safe to attack.

Idea for another Rest/Sleeping position. It's a pose before curling up into a ball, with the wolf half curled up but the upper body more laying on its side.
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/gr ... d955590630
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:55 am

- Photo mode: Those markers and symbols (marker of mate, bite symbol on prey, dispersal hearts etc. etc.) should be gone when in photo mode... I just noticed that they don't end up in the final screenshot which is a huge relief but still while taking the photo they're kinda in the way always. A very small thing maybe but a big bummer when trying to get that perfect shot. :D

- Pack info: Why is the info of the mate gone after they become your mate? Like what pack they're from originally, age, and even diversity wans't in the pack info if I remember right? Those would be nice to see in the pack's info page.

- Performance: This may be a problem in my end but definitely hoping for more optimized performance in the future. Seeing the game is in early access I've understood that it is something that will be handled at some point - but just saying. I'm currently very happy with the overall smoothness but the game makes my laptop really earn its keep to the point of even freezing sometimes and I wonder about other people even being able to play at all...

I don't want to sound like it's all bad and unfinished. It's an awesome game you've put together seriously. I've played other early access games and my previous experience for example was something pretty horrible though it was by someones who you'd think are competent to make games, so it makes it even more impressive how cool WolfQuest 3 is. Early Access is no excuse to be simply bad and indifferent to issues, you guys have put a great example out there about that as well as everything else. Thank you! :wolf:
Nevermind me I just like to blah blah.

SophieTheAiredale
Pup
Pup
Name: Sophie | She/they

Post by SophieTheAiredale » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:30 pm

rene-frankie wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:39 am
also last year there was a vote for a new animal, and i want to know will you be adding these animals to the game eventually? since they lost the vote we dont have these animals yet
Bighorn sheep
Pronghorn
Black bear
Bobcat
Porcupine
Beaver
Bison

edit: someone said there is now snow on amethyst mountain, i have yet to see it. where exactly is it??
Bighorn sheep I believe are going to be added soon and it is possible to find bison carcasses although I've never seen one.
And beavers will be added (I think!) around when the bighorns will be added.
As for the snow, you have to play the game for a bit, then it will come up. :)
That's a bit odd, don't you think?

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”