2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

User avatar
Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm
Name: Frodo/Jay
Gender: Female
Location: Being a hermit hobgoblin in the dark in my room XD
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Frodo1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Semper Solus wrote:I love how I had a dark coated mate and a light coated wolf which I gave a more brownish tint (with the extra color-change addition). They got four pups, two pups that had the brown color like mt wolf and two pups which had my wolf's original light coat color! No pups looked like the mate. It was so weird to see, but also so cool. o:
Oooh, that sounds really cool! If you post screenies, let me know- I'd love to see :)
altias wrote:How neat - a really good topic! Is there any sort of 'dominance' in terms of what pelt is inherited (i.e. O pelts being more common than LC, etc), and are the tints generated depending on how far to the left/right both parent's tints are? O: I really wanna know how it works, haha.
Heh, I didn't do that in-depth of testing- but if anyone does and has data from it, I'd love to see!
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

User avatar
Dorken
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Hammerspace
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Dorken » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:53 pm

altias wrote:How neat - a really good topic! Is there any sort of 'dominance' in terms of what pelt is inherited (i.e. O pelts being more common than LC, etc), and are the tints generated depending on how far to the left/right both parent's tints are? O: I really wanna know how it works, haha.
In 2.5, the main colour of a puppy's coat was determined by how many experience points you had. The more you had, the more likely you were to have puppies that looked like you. The less you had, the more likely you were to have puppies that looked like your mate. From what I've seen so far in 2.7, this still applies, just with lower levels of experience points since they're more of a challenge to obtain these days. Think of it as reverse inflation lol
Puppies are tinted to match the player's tints. They don't match your mate's tints so far as I know because mates are not really tinted (i.e. their tints are the defaults) and therefore don't affect anything.
deviantArt | Wolf Comic Reviews | WolfQuest Blog
The Beaver Theory
Lost River will never be the same.

User avatar
altias
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm
Name: Rowan
Gender: Other
Location: California, US
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by altias » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Dorken wrote:
altias wrote:How neat - a really good topic! Is there any sort of 'dominance' in terms of what pelt is inherited (i.e. O pelts being more common than LC, etc), and are the tints generated depending on how far to the left/right both parent's tints are? O: I really wanna know how it works, haha.
In 2.5, the main colour of a puppy's coat was determined by how many experience points you had. The more you had, the more likely you were to have puppies that looked like you. The less you had, the more likely you were to have puppies that looked like your mate. From what I've seen so far in 2.7, this still applies, just with lower levels of experience points since they're more of a challenge to obtain these days. Think of it as reverse inflation lol
Puppies are tinted to match the player's tints. They don't match your mate's tints so far as I know because mates are not really tinted (i.e. their tints are the defaults) and therefore don't affect anything.
RE: the first part, how neat! I had no idea.

With the second bit, for some reason I had thought that the pup tint would be taken from somewhere between your tint and your mate's - whatever's between the two points O: I guess that's not it, though!

✦ ✧ follow the stars ✧ ✦
they / them or ae/aer pronouns | nonbinary | 24 years old
previously cosla27 | my wolfquest blog

User avatar
Jeames
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:43 am
Name: Jeames, Jea
Gender: Other
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Jeames » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:45 am

Frodo1 wrote:
Semper Solus wrote:I love how I had a dark coated mate and a light coated wolf which I gave a more brownish tint (with the extra color-change addition). They got four pups, two pups that had the brown color like mt wolf and two pups which had my wolf's original light coat color! No pups looked like the mate. It was so weird to see, but also so cool. o:
Oooh, that sounds really cool! If you post screenies, let me know- I'd love to see :)
Here it is (picture is on spoiler because it's quite big...):
(Open in other tab for full view, because the white-ish pup doesn't show in the spoiler picture)
Spoiler
Show
Image
You can see my male is brown with a darker brown head, that's because I took the white wolf coat with the brown head markings for him and made them more brown. So on the left side you see the brown pup, completely based off of my wolf's coat color, while on the right side you can see a light colored pup which actually has my wolf's original coat color, the one you can choose before making it darker or browner colored.
And the other two pups are also brown and that light color, though I could not get them into the picture. But no pup looks like my mate (in the middle) as you can see. xD
It's so weird, but so cool at the same time.
. - Jeames - .

For the last time,
I am a STICK okay?!?!
Oh and I own Paradiigm.
Now I must go annoy Dom.
sig/av ↝ Paradiigm/noir_187

User avatar
SilkenGalaxy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 am
Name: Alex
Gender: Female
Location: Florida

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:52 am

Semper Solus wrote:
Frodo1 wrote:
Semper Solus wrote:I love how I had a dark coated mate and a light coated wolf which I gave a more brownish tint (with the extra color-change addition). They got four pups, two pups that had the brown color like mt wolf and two pups which had my wolf's original light coat color! No pups looked like the mate. It was so weird to see, but also so cool. o:
Oooh, that sounds really cool! If you post screenies, let me know- I'd love to see :)
Here it is (picture is on spoiler because it's quite big...):
(Open in other tab for full view, because the white-ish pup doesn't show in the spoiler picture)
Spoiler
Show
Image
You can see my male is brown with a darker brown head, that's because I took the white wolf coat with the brown head markings for him and made them more brown. So on the left side you see the brown pup, completely based off of my wolf's coat color, while on the right side you can see a light colored pup which actually has my wolf's original coat color, the one you can choose before making it darker or browner colored.
And the other two pups are also brown and that light color, though I could not get them into the picture. But no pup looks like my mate (in the middle) as you can see. xD
It's so weird, but so cool at the same time.
Wow, quite interesting! Can't wait to get in game and try this stuff out myself!

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 13018
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Koa » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:06 am

This is really neat! Normally I'd put this in User Guides, but I think the active discussion here is helpful. Thanks for sharing.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Dorken
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Hammerspace
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Dorken » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:19 am

Semper Solus wrote:
Frodo1 wrote:
Semper Solus wrote:I love how I had a dark coated mate and a light coated wolf which I gave a more brownish tint (with the extra color-change addition). They got four pups, two pups that had the brown color like mt wolf and two pups which had my wolf's original light coat color! No pups looked like the mate. It was so weird to see, but also so cool. o:
Oooh, that sounds really cool! If you post screenies, let me know- I'd love to see :)
Here it is (picture is on spoiler because it's quite big...):
(Open in other tab for full view, because the white-ish pup doesn't show in the spoiler picture)

[pic]

You can see my male is brown with a darker brown head, that's because I took the white wolf coat with the brown head markings for him and made them more brown. So on the left side you see the brown pup, completely based off of my wolf's coat color, while on the right side you can see a light colored pup which actually has my wolf's original coat color, the one you can choose before making it darker or browner colored.
And the other two pups are also brown and that light color, though I could not get them into the picture. But no pup looks like my mate (in the middle) as you can see. xD
It's so weird, but so cool at the same time.
I actually believe that the puppy does resemble your mate, just when it was a puppy. Not every puppy connected with a new coat has a unique texture, and it looks like the puppy version of your wolf and the puppy version of your mate are coincidentally the same! I made a little reference yesterday, and that looks to be the case? Check these out for your coat colour and your mate's and what they looked like as puppies:
Sometimes puppies look nothing like their adult counterparts. The blonde puppy that comes from the solid grey of the Blacktail Deer Plateau pack is a good example of this.
Your mate resembles the third one down in the Blacktail Deer Plateau pack, if a bit greyer.
deviantArt | Wolf Comic Reviews | WolfQuest Blog
The Beaver Theory
Lost River will never be the same.

User avatar
Jeames
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:43 am
Name: Jeames, Jea
Gender: Other
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Jeames » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:22 am

I'm going to make some of my RP characters in game now and see what kind of coat colors their pups will have. >D
I'm so excited to mess around with this~

Dorken wrote:I actually believe that the puppy does resemble your mate, just when it was a puppy. Not every puppy connected with a new coat has a unique texture, and it looks like the puppy version of your wolf and the puppy version of your mate are coincidentally the same! I made a little reference yesterday, and that looks to be the case? Check these out for your coat colour and your mate's and what they looked like as puppies:
Sometimes puppies look nothing like their adult counterparts. The blonde puppy that comes from the solid grey of the Blacktail Deer Plateau pack is a good example of this.
Your mate resembles the third one down in the Blacktail Deer Plateau pack, if a bit greyer.
I see. That would actually make more sense. I'm gonna mess around with it more.
. - Jeames - .

For the last time,
I am a STICK okay?!?!
Oh and I own Paradiigm.
Now I must go annoy Dom.
sig/av ↝ Paradiigm/noir_187

User avatar
SilverMatrix
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:56 am
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by SilverMatrix » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:33 am

This is cool :D I'll be bookmarking this.
✧.° monster take me home

User avatar
Nor-easter Forecast
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:16 am
Gender: Female
Location: Southwestern USA

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:59 am

Okay, explain to me this...

I have a wolf whose fur is a slightly red-tinted LC-2. Her mate is BDP-1. I have two puppies that look like the ones who go with LC-2.

I also have two black puppies with red tints.

Apparently the WQ coding also deals with recessive genes because according to your chart all my pups should be some variety of brown. Both the LC-2 and the BDP-1 must carry recessive black genes, thus resulting in black puppies when crossed. All the pups also acquired my wolf's red tints.

This is a lot more complicated than I originally thought!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

User avatar
Dorken
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Hammerspace
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Dorken » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:34 am

Lobo Laughing wrote:Okay, explain to me this...

I have a wolf whose fur is a slightly red-tinted LC-2. Her mate is BDP-1. I have two puppies that look like the ones who go with LC-2.

I also have two black puppies with red tints.

Apparently the WQ coding also deals with recessive genes because according to your chart all my pups should be some variety of brown. Both the LC-2 and the BDP-1 must carry recessive black genes, thus resulting in black puppies when crossed. All the pups also acquired my wolf's red tints.

This is a lot more complicated than I originally thought!
I believe I've heard in the past that it is possible for a couple of pups to be a totally different colour then either your mate or yourself, which was explained in 2.5 as them taking on the appearance of a recent ancestor like their grandparents. Perhaps that was the case? Things just got more complicated lol
I'd love to seen screenies of your pack, btw, since your pups sound really interesting!
I feel like there may be a lot of things we'll have to figure out about what I'm sure are new additions to the "genetics" of 2.7. Time to have as many puppies as possible! For science!
deviantArt | Wolf Comic Reviews | WolfQuest Blog
The Beaver Theory
Lost River will never be the same.

User avatar
Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm
Name: Frodo/Jay
Gender: Female
Location: Being a hermit hobgoblin in the dark in my room XD
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Frodo1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:28 am

Wow! You guys have turned up a substantial amount of additional info! When more than one wolf comes into play, things certainly get a lot more complicated O.o
In that case, I wonder if there's a system to what coats enter the pool for your wolves' ancestors- and if so, how is that defined? This is definitely something worth investigating!
I must confess, I didn't think this pic would spark so much speculation and additional experimentation! You guys totally took this and ran with it- which is awesome! I look forward to hearing what else you guys come up with! :)
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6264
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:34 am

I don't think it is based off of real genetics, that would make it very complicated for the Team to program it all in. But this is good enough!

I never knew the tints of your wolves mattered, but apparently it does! Interesting...
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Avatar is copyright Koa

User avatar
Dorken
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Hammerspace
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Dorken » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:28 am

Frodo1 wrote: I wonder if there's a system to what coats enter the pool for your wolves' ancestors- and if so, how is that defined?
I've been wondering that, too. Like Solitary said, it'd be extremely difficult for the team to program in totally realistic genetics, so maybe some things are just sort of random? I believe which puppies look most like you and which look most like your mate are still based on how much EXP you have, but if you can have puppies that resemble an ancestor, are they randomly selected and randomly given a colour? It'll probably be a long while until we have enough experiences to hear about before we get a good grip on all of this.

I'm also glad the topic has garnered so much attention and discussion! It's a very interesting topic.
deviantArt | Wolf Comic Reviews | WolfQuest Blog
The Beaver Theory
Lost River will never be the same.

User avatar
Azuris
Pup
Pup
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:31 am
Name: Azu, Azure
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere waiting to be found
Contact:

Re: 2.7 Puppy coat inheritance chart

Post by Azuris » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:47 pm

This is a really cool chart! However im wondering if the pup's color coat can be inherited from getting a mate in Singleplayer since it's complicated when both wolves have a different coat color...

And another question(if anyone can answer this ._.)
On Multiplayer where you can play with other players to raise the pups, does the coat inherit from anyone?(besides our wolf character we made) because some times whenever i play the Multiplayer version, it looks like the wolf i created, about 1 or 2 pups looks like it... While some times they look completely different

So if anyone can answer the question above, thank you so much :D
(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ʌȥυяɪʂ¸.´¸.*¨)¸.*¨)

Δи Ɩ'ʌɛ вɛɛи ωяσиɢ, Ɩ'ʌɛ вɛɛи σωи
βɛɛи тσ тнɛ вσттσм σғ ɛʌɛяʏ вσттɛ
Ƭнɛƨɛ ғιʌɛ ωσяƨ ιи мʏ нɛα
Ƨcяɛαм "Δяɛ ωɛ нαʌιиɢ ғʋи ʏɛт?"

Avvie/Sig©by:Me
Avvie shop

Post Reply

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”