Older Versions of WolfQuest - General Discussion

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Steeps

Re: Older Versions of WolfQuest - General Discussion

Post by Steeps » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Seems like the balance between safe communication and fun communication is the challenge with WQ's MP chat system.

I knew a little about the old chat system from watching old YouTube vids, but I never got to experience it. I wish I did, just so I could be more helpful and credible when offering opinions on the Lexicon. I'm like you Rikkuzilla: I stick to SP now. Unless I randomly feel like reporting the wrongdoings of any MP miscreants I happen to catch with my trusty f1 key :P .

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:55 am

I joined a couple of days before 2.0.3 released, so I never really got to experience the older versions. As Steeps (nearly called you Over then, old habits die hard ;P) said, I've got an idea of what it was like from videos on YouTube and the like, but I sort of wish I could have been around for the older versions on WolfQuest. It's a nice thought to think of a chat that isn't as restricted, but I understand why it needs to be so censored nowadays.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 am

Oh, I'd forgotten about the lack of water in the very first episodes. Now it seems so ordinary to run into water every so often. Before the Deluxe I had a habit of turning around and running into the mountains whenever I started a new game, and this brought me right through what is now the pond by Dead Tree. In my first Deluxe game, I started to do this, then got stopped by the water. I was shocked, because I knew to expect bears and mates that would follow me around, but not water. Lol. It also took me about a month to find the smaller pond, because the water wasn't on the map yet.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

lucarioheart200

Post by lucarioheart200 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:57 pm

I remember one time I was running around out of absolute boredom and ended up making my wolf character walk through a tree. Then, when I was exiting the tree, I managed to run into a bush. Funny how you could run through trees and not bushes ;3

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:08 am

When I joined WQ back in 1969...nah, I kid. When I joined in 2009 I was able to play just AM for quite a while. I'd just run around AM and play in the water, hunt down as many elk as I could, etc. Multiplayer was interesting as well. I don't recall too many people looking for mates, it was more about territory and what area was already claimed. I wish I was around for the much older version, it seemed like it was quite fun. I do enjoy SC and what we have now though, so the game has definitely been improving. ^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

lucarioheart200

Post by lucarioheart200 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:18 am

Wow! I'd give my nose for the end of this mating junk. The Amethyst Mountain version must have been much more enjoyable than MP nowadays. I noticed in WolfQuest 2.3 that not many people play on Amethyst Mountain anymore.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:18 pm

"Led" and "Alas", anyone?
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Noxeon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Eon

Post by Noxeon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 pm

PearlyReborn wrote:"Led" and "Alas", anyone?
Yes oh my gosh! This used to be so weird trying to get around the chat filter.

˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙⚫˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙
❖❖❖ ―――――――――― ❖❖❖
The ɗɑʀkɳɛรร falls around
me at night

αиd cαяvєร мє
wiтн รilєиcє รσ
bяigнт
❖❖❖ ―――――――――― ❖❖❖
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙

TimberRaven
Name: Elarion
Location: Betty Botter bought a bit of butter that made his bitter batter better

Post by TimberRaven » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 am

I was there for a very short amount of time, VERY short, because it seemed about the day after I joined 2.7 was released. Too many bugs, I tell you that XD
«— • · . . . ` · . . · ´ ` · . . · ´ . . . · • —»
· •Welcome to my blue cage • ·
· • // . . . . . . · ´ ` · . . · ´ ` · . . . . . . \\ • ·
ᵃᵛᵃᵗᵃʳ ᵇʸ ˡᵘᵖᶤᶰᶻᵖᵃᶜᵏ

alethe
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:40 am

this brought back so many memories omg. People trying to cheat the filter was incredible, tbh
Isn’t there a thread floating around of disallowed words and how people cheated them?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Yeah alethe, I think it's the same Lexicon one where people also suggested words to add. But I am on mobile at the moment and too lazy to fact check this :P !
DaniBeez
___Forum member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:52 am

Fond memories of the good old 1.5.X-1.6.X days! I do still play 2.5 every once in a while, though it's really only for Wiki-related fact checking and comparison purposes. To me playing between the two isn't too jarring since the differences between the free game and premium game aren't that huge, so it'll be very refreshing when 3.0 comes rolling around the corner. It's still such a shame an in-game reporting system wasn't around back in the earlier days of the project and that they felt the need to force usernames in place of wolf names, though I am glad those two problems have been addressed in newer revisions. :) In the meantime I do wonder how long 2.5 multiplayer will continue to exist...

The one thing that I really do miss has to be the shaders we had in the free editions; they're either broken or disabled in 2.5, but the water
used to look so much better imo.
alethe wrote:Isn’t there a thread floating around of disallowed words and how people cheated them?
this old thing?
Nothing interesting happens.

[
XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:14 am

Neamara wrote:It's still such a shame an in-game reporting system wasn't around back in the earlier days of the project and that they felt the need to force usernames in place of wolf names
The core problem was that players could easily bypass any bans by creating new forum accounts, and we had no way to stop that. (The other problem is that Pepper spends an hour a two each day on reports, and I shudder to think how much time that would've taken with the larger numbers of players in the old free game.)

Maybe we should have an optional "Classic" chat mode in WQ3 that brings back the old lexicon!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:23 am

loboLoco wrote:The core problem was that players could easily bypass any bans by creating new forum accounts, and we had no way to stop that.
To be fair, I do vaguely remember the reasoning behind usernames being forced was that it also helped make reporting easier, though I still remember encountering players who were bitter about it back when WQ2 was brand new. :L That banning limitation sounds familiar too...? I'm positive that came up at least once somewhere in the RT forum.
loboLoco wrote:The other problem is that Pepper spends an hour a two each day on reports, and I shudder to think how much time that would've taken with the larger numbers of players in the old free game.
If the mod logs up until late December 2012 are anything to go by, deep respect for Pepper for keeping up with that task.

Bringing "classic" lexicon into WQ3? O-oh no... have mercy Dave!! D:
Alright I jest, it isn't a horrible idea.

I remember those all too well :')
Nothing interesting happens.

[
XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 am

Led and Alas was a classic!

The oldest version of WQ I played was 2.5, as I joined around 2014/2015. I remember how glitchy it used to be, like the player corpse not despawning glitch that would happen in the AM mission...

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”