Mates - Your opinion?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Mates - Your opinion?

Bad
21%
OK
25%
Good
13%
Great
17%
TERRIBLE
24%

Total votes: 119

tattoo215
Pup
Pup

Mates - Your opinion?

Post by tattoo215 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am

Tell me what you think of mates. Should it be allowed or banned?
"Even angels have their wicked schemes,
And you take that to new extremes,
But you'll always be my hero,
Even though you've lost your mind."

Overcast

Re: Mates - Your opinion?

Post by Overcast » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 am

tattoo215 wrote:Tell me what you think of mates. Should it be allowed or banned?
Actually tattoo215, in WQ Multiplayer 'mating' behaviour is already not allowed, but 'parents' or 'partners' are:
WQ Coordinator wrote:What is allowed:
  • •Being a friendly, respectful, and helpful player
    •Using words in the Chat Lexicon
    •Pairs/friends/parents (not mates) leading a pack
    •Appropriate roleplay and chatting
    •Inviting specific people to private games
    •Using private games as meeting places for packs/friends
    •Reporting inappropriate games, players, and behavior with proof (www.wolfquest.org/abuse)
    •Using the WolfQuest Community Forum for messaging/creating a pack (www.wolfquest.org/bb)
What is not allowed:
  • •Trying to bypass the chat filter
    •Swearing, vulgarness, and excessive violence
    •Gender-specific/se xually-oriented/mating/dating/breeding games or roleplay*
    •Harassing/bullying/threatening other players
    •Discussing/referencing illegal or otherwise inappropriate words/topics
    •Allowing only specific people in open games
    •Giving/asking for personal information
    •Pretending to be a WolfQuest moderator/administrator/another player
    *This includes asking for a mate or saying you're looking for a/have no mate.
Source: What the the rules for multiplayer games? http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=44211
WQ Coordinator wrote:Finding a mate is not part of the multiplayer game. In fact, the WolfQuest Team and moderators have been closing mating-related (or otherwise inappropriate) multiplayer chats. We have recently made a stronger effort to warn/ban users who either act inappropriately in open multiplayer chats or start mp chats with inappropriate names. Though 'mating' is basically part of the single player game, because of all the parental complaints we've received, we do not allow open chat names that refer to mating/breeding/gender-specifics, as too many people have acted inappropriately in them.
Source: How Do I get a mate in multiplayer? http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34861

... in case others weren't already aware of this.

In my opinion, it should stay this way because the whole point of the WQ game is to be a safe, fun place for people of all ages to learn about the true life of a wolf and its pack. If the game's motives were different, I would say otherwise.

So for me, mates are a negative thing in WQ multiplayer games. Being merely partners should be enough for any wolf RP to succeed. If you want a mate, go to singleplayer and raise a real family with actual pups :) . Or try a different game entirely. WQ isn't exactly designed to accomidate RPers looking for love, silly as that sounds :roll: .

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 am

Along with what Overcast stated, which I completely agree with, it isn't always safe to be "mates" with someone over the internet. Being mates with a computer and being mates with a stranger who you don't know are two completely different things.
So not only are mates not allowed on WolfQuest because of it being inappropriate, it isn't always safe either.

SpiritPelt

Post by SpiritPelt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Adding to Croix- If you had a stranger as a mate, who knows who they could be. And, once they've got a little trust in you, they might be able to find out where you are, and who you are. It is also inappropriate, in some chats the content may be disturbing to other players. I think it was Zethra who said this, but one of the moderators said that mostly the COPPA users are the ones making inappropriate chats.

My opinion is that WQ should continue to bring out words from the chat, though it is a bit sad to not be able to talk normally because the words are limited, it will make a difference in chat content. So, to wrap it all up, I think mates should stay in Single Player only. ;D

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 pm

SpiritPelt wrote:... but one of the moderators said that mostly the COPPA users are the ones making inappropriate chats.
You would be suprised how many COPPA users host the inappropriate servers. x:

tattoo215
Pup
Pup

Post by tattoo215 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Ok admins... do not lock this, i really want to know what people think, out of curiousity. ;P
"Even angels have their wicked schemes,
And you take that to new extremes,
But you'll always be my hero,
Even though you've lost your mind."

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

tattoo215 wrote:Ok admins... do not lock this, i really want to know what people think, out of curiousity. ;P
Well... The users who make these sorts of games probably will defend them. I, on the other hand, oppose them, or in fact, report them, when the oppurtunity comes.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't think "mates" are very smart, or safe. I think that the people looking for "mates" are just sad, lonely, depressed people who want love. But meeting a stranger online and becoming "mates" is just stupid. You might be a 16 year old girl, and the person becoming your "mate" could be a 50 year old guy with 600 eyes, 40 chins, and 93 noses. It's honestly unlikely anyone looks like that, but hey anything is possible! xD But that really is what I say to people who become "mates" with strangers. If you are looking for love, get off your lazy rear end and start searching.
One raindrop among millions.

Desoto343
Pup
Pup

Post by Desoto343 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I voted good because I thought you meant the in-game mates. As for MP mates, I've never been in a chat that really used them but I can see why it is deemed innappropriate. I've heard that people were quite graphic in a few instances.
I've passed my 1st WQ anniversary! Thanks to all for a great year!

If it has a face, I don't eat it

PROUD SUPPORTER OF PETA, DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY AND AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Oceansong-Direwolf wrote:I think that the people looking for "mates" are just sad, lonely, depressed people who want love.
I have to politely disagree with this statement.
It's clear that a percentage people on mutliplayer don't go on the forums or even know the rules. New people join a server looking for a friend, are most likely overwhelmed, and the people that are doing the inappropriate things (such as having mates) rub off on to them. So they possibly think, "Well, so-and-so hasn't gotten in trouble for having a mate, so why can't I have one. I see nothing wrong with it because I have not seen anything that says it is wrong."
New people on WolfQuest can be easily influenced to think that having mates is a good thing.
Also, I have seen people that have "mates" don't even do anything inappropriate, some aren't "looking for love", they are looking for a friend.

oxoDestinyoxo

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:31 pm

I oppose of the whole multiplayer mate thing going on. For one, it's against the rules, and by participating in it, you are taking high risks in getting a warning or even a ban. I don't see why it would possibly be worth it. Also, the behavior in multiplayer is not helping WolfQuest get any new organizations to contribute to funding, and without funding, WolfQuest won't be able to give us more cool features or episodes. So really, by participating in the behavior, you aren't helping the game in the least bit, which I think a lot of people want to do.
I hope the in-game added list of rules will help, because some people seem oblivious to the fact that what they are doing is against the rules, and I don't think common sense comes into play when something is inappropriate, especially when you are so dead set on the thought that it's okay, that you are going into even more extreme measures.

/endrant

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:53 am

Someone came into my server and they said, "You will be my mate." I obviously said no, and they said, "Oh my gosh you broke my heart I'm reporting you!"
LOL
One raindrop among millions.

Desoto343
Pup
Pup

Post by Desoto343 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:28 am

Oceansong-Direwolf wrote:Someone came into my server and they said, "You will be my mate." I obviously said no, and they said, "Oh my gosh you broke my heart I'm reporting you!"
LOL
LOL, that's a bit dramatic

blackops43
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by blackops43 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:00 pm

well my mate in sp is ok but she made the pups die from putting them in the river and by not feeding them i try to feed them but she just carry the pups away from me

Desoto343
Pup
Pup

Post by Desoto343 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:49 am

blackops43 wrote:well my mate in sp is ok but she made the pups die from putting them in the river and by not feeding them i try to feed them but she just carry the pups away from me

You made the same mistake as me! We're actually talking about multiplayer mates LOL

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”