.::: Mate 'IQ' :::.

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

What's your mate's 'IQ' out of ten?

10 (Best)
15%
7-9
35%
4-6
30%
1-3 (Worst)
20%

Total votes: 638

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: .::: Mate 'IQ' :::.

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:28 pm

duskypack wrote:...Every last one of my pups died at the rendezvous site while my mate ran in circles. Please, Wolfquest Team, please fix this glitch because it has ruined many a Wolfquest game.

I also discovered a fix for this: if your pups are near-death at the Rendezvous Site, switch the game mode to Pretty Easy and go back and get your mate. Howl, push them, whatever needs to be done and eventually they will run back. Yes, your pups do still die by the time your mate gets to the Rendezvous Site because they will have followed you a distance out, but I guess it helps...?

This glitch has ruined the game for me.
The next time that happens, submit a detailed description of what happened with your output log.txt file to bugs@wolfquest.org
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Shadziulec
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shadziulec » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Crestie wrote:
duskypack wrote:I decided to list every problem I've seem with the mates, with the hopes that those problems can be identified and fixed.

All of the Summer Journey:

1. Obsession with getting food, and scanty amounts as well. My mate rarely does anything except find food. He goes off for long periods of time and then finally returns to feed only one pup, and he's very picky in selecting the pups. Since he feeds the pups before he picks them up, he always feeds the one farthest from me regardless of it's health. If the pup is at full health, he doesn't feed the pups at all. I'm also annoyed that he rarely is around, I like to spend time and bond with my family. As soon as a pup is fed and carried he runs off again for who knows how long. The only way to make him pick up (and usually not feed) other pups is to chase him, and then he'll go back and bring a pup to you. The worst part is this: on a youtube playthrough I watched (found here: the mate ran off to get food and never returned . The player actually got to the Rendezvous Site but the mate still didn't return, so her pups starved to death at the Rendezvous Site. She had all four pups, the playthrough was going well, but the mate was just glitching around and being stupid. That ruined that whole game, because of the mate.

YES! I had this problem/glitch with the mate going to get food and never coming back. She went over little butte to get food, cam back to me then ran back over and over. My pups would have starved had I not just given up. :/
Me too! My male goes to the hunting grounds reeeeaallllyyyy slowly,then he comes back and goes here again,feeding one pup or none of them...I made it on Ardous with 3 pups,would do with all 4 but i needed to find food myself,and then eagle killed the pup :I
Then,i really don't like the fact that he won't protect the pups while i want to hunt xD Especially with the running coyotes.(btw.I never saw a stranger wolf in Aspen Heights,until I saw a forum post about it,I didn't knew they are moving now :D)

Going back to the mate issue,when I made it to the last mission's new den,my pups almost died waiting for him to come back...@___@
~Please,don't copy or use anywhere my profile avatar,it's done fully by myself.It has a little "SHAD" somewhere on it,so it's credited~

Auburn_CardinalWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Auburn_CardinalWolf » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Shadziulec wrote:
Crestie wrote:
duskypack wrote:I decided to list every problem I've seem with the mates, with the hopes that those problems can be identified and fixed.

All of the Summer Journey:

1. Obsession with getting food, and scanty amounts as well. My mate rarely does anything except find food. He goes off for long periods of time and then finally returns to feed only one pup, and he's very picky in selecting the pups. Since he feeds the pups before he picks them up, he always feeds the one farthest from me regardless of it's health. If the pup is at full health, he doesn't feed the pups at all. I'm also annoyed that he rarely is around, I like to spend time and bond with my family. As soon as a pup is fed and carried he runs off again for who knows how long. The only way to make him pick up (and usually not feed) other pups is to chase him, and then he'll go back and bring a pup to you. The worst part is this: on a youtube playthrough I watched (found here: the mate ran off to get food and never returned . The player actually got to the Rendezvous Site but the mate still didn't return, so her pups starved to death at the Rendezvous Site. She had all four pups, the playthrough was going well, but the mate was just glitching around and being stupid. That ruined that whole game, because of the mate.

YES! I had this problem/glitch with the mate going to get food and never coming back. She went over little butte to get food, cam back to me then ran back over and over. My pups would have starved had I not just given up. :/
Me too! My male goes to the hunting grounds reeeeaallllyyyy slowly,then he comes back and goes here again,feeding one pup or none of them...I made it on Ardous with 3 pups,would do with all 4 but i needed to find food myself,and then eagle killed the pup :I
Then,i really don't like the fact that he won't protect the pups while i want to hunt xD Especially with the running coyotes.(btw.I never saw a stranger wolf in Aspen Heights,until I saw a forum post about it,I didn't knew they are moving now :D)

Going back to the mate issue,when I made it to the last mission's new den,my pups almost died waiting for him to come back...@___@

This once happened to me, but the second time around the way I fixed it is by having a full belly of food for pups and then feeding them when your mate is gone and won't return and when you are close to the summer hunting grounds. After I did this my mate returned and was by my side the rest of the way to the summer hunting grounds!

Sorry, Back on topic. I'd give my mate Dotrie an 8, he's a great father but he did abandon us once with our first litter. I love him when he isn't aimlessly stealing our pups and taking them on "joy rides" across Slough Creek XD
Cardinal like the color red!

Azuline
Pup
Pup
Name: Toby

Post by Azuline » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:17 pm

Hmm, I'd say my mate on the game is pretty close to a 8.5, or a 9.
She was a lot smarter on the new game than on the original 2.5, but then again the animal AI has increased since then.
Either way, I'm happy.
"Blessed are the children of the Horned One."
:moose:

-S.J. Tucker

Sobakka

Post by Sobakka » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:42 pm

I love the new IQ for the mate! It actually feeds the pups now and isn't throwing them in front of bears! I'm very satifisfied with it, they don't get in the way and help enough so that it's still a challenge but they don't make it more of a challenge. They're great for hunting! Me and my mate have killed a good number of herds in lost river (if you turn on the smell cam it's pretty much all purple/pink, we've gotten well past 100 cows there)

Jupiter Giveth and Jupiter Taketh Away
Praise Jupiter!
Quote/Av Shop

-FireBreaker-
Name: Fire

Post by -FireBreaker- » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:54 am

I'd say my mate is 7.5 or 8. She is a lot smarter than in 2.5. She's good at giving food for the pups and protecting them, but it takes forever for her to come back with the food. And sometimes she's just standing there.
·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´
Wh¥ §hðµlÐ ï åþðlðgïzê £ðr hê mðñ§êr ï'vê ßê¢ðmê
ñð ðñê êvêr åþðlðgïzêÐ £ðr måkïñg mê hï§ wå¥
`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´
:: av/sig © Lupin/Samber ::

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Auburn_CardinalWolf wrote:I

This once happened to me, but the second time around the way I fixed it is by having a full belly of food for pups and then feeding them when your mate is gone and won't return and when you are close to the summer hunting grounds. After I did this my mate returned and was by my side the rest of the way to the summer hunting grounds!

It worked! My mate froze sometimes, but I just needed to reload. I guess there's now a solution to all the mate problems! Quick tip: whatever you do, don't chase your prey into the area around the wolf territory by the Bison Peak den before it expands, chances are the carcass will be inaccesible come the Summer Journey and your mate will eternally try to get at it.

My mate really improved this time around, I think the patches fixed something! I'd give her a 7 :D
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:22 pm

In my opinion, mates are much better than they were in previous versions thanks to the improved AI. I'd probably give the mate on my main file 9-10 rating. He helps out a lot when it comes to hunting, feeding the pups, etc. and as wolfwhisp mentioned; it's not like your mate is in the way. The hauled AI has really improved their efficiency.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:08 am

In my opinion, these 2.7 mates are pretty smart--when you know how they operate.

Aside from being more interactive and diverse, I like how these mates are more aware of their surroundings and don't get stuck too often. Their hunting style is similar to that of 2.5, but they seem to have a better sense of "where." What I miss though, is mates helping you kill coyotes and fend off bears. I'm fine with them leaving me alone when I hunt rabbits, but otherwise, without pups, these mates are pretty smart. I like how your mate assists you with territory marking when you transition to Slough Creek. But after that, they seem to stop helping you...

I generally like to stay at the den until my mate does something, and he does, eventually. The mates feed pups slowly, but they feed them. But they seem to be meant for leaving the den. I'm assuming this is a way to encourage players to leave their den and physically look for food and keep up with their territory, rather than having your mate do all the feeding. I must say, it adds to the thrill of it all while you're hunting to return to a territory that could use marking, but meanwhile your pups are starving and there happens to be a hungry bear around. I like our new mates, but i do miss some behaviors from the old, too.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:27 pm

2.5? He's an utterly useless pup-drowner.
2.7? The most amazing thing ever.
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:47 am

2.5: Useless, always getting stuck behind the den requiring me to lead him out while a coyote chases after my innocent pups. Never drowned and pups cut certainly set me back in the journey.

2.7: Huge improvement, he helps to hunt and feed the puppies. But doesn't attack predators anymore, maybe that can be added in with helping maintaining the border markers as a feature.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

SunnySideUpSmile
Pup
Pup

Post by SunnySideUpSmile » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:30 am

2.5.1 = Shadow hunts when I'm with the pups, and will (sometimes) fend of bears. I die anyway. Thanks a lot! When we are "traveling" to the rendezvous, he picks up my puppy, takes it to the other side, and when I reach the other side with my other puppy...my mate put my other puppy on the other bank. Me: *Elaborate and Dramatic Faceplant* (EDF for short). Then he absolutely refuses to pick up my puppy(s).

I didn't get 2.7 yet, so I don't know what the mate does.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that was given to you." ~ Gandalf the Grey, LoTR

"With great power comes great need to take a nap...wake me up later." ~ Nico di Angelo, The Last Olypmian

"...Obnoxious." Haruhi Fujioka, OHSHC
icon (c) by applexpie2

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:18 pm

All of my mates have a ZERO IQ and never help with anything. They just ruin hunts and take away my pups! :(
(`*°•._(`°•._*+*_.•°`)_.•°*`)
For the strength of a pack
Is the wolf,
°•.• WolfQuest •.•°
But the strength of the wolf
Is the pack
(·(·(·(·•·)·)·)·)

Signature by Black Burn

2wolf22
Pup
Pup

Post by 2wolf22 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 pm

All my wolves' mates are stupid. They take my puppies and leave them over little butte and always play favorites with my puppies!!!!! :evil:

TimberRaven
Name: Elarion
Location: Betty Botter bought a bit of butter that made his bitter batter better

Post by TimberRaven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Really, really, really lazy and dumb. It let's the pups all starve unless I freeze for a while, not going anywhere, while it goes and gets food out of nowhere, which takes a LOOOOOOOONG time, and they won't help you with predators --(Suppose I'm after a coyote. He'll bring the pups to me while I'm running!!) and I actually think raising pups without a mate in the game would be a lot easier.
44wolfquest wrote:All of my mates have a ZERO IQ and never help with anything. They just ruin hunts and take away my pups! :(
I completely agree and have gone through what you have. They chase elk into the water instead towards our den. RRRRGH I voted the bottom one --the worst one. I was surprised when I saw the second best had the most votes.
Sorry I'm so negative, just I'm true
«— • · . . . ` · . . · ´ ` · . . · ´ . . . · • —»
· •Welcome to my blue cage • ·
· • // . . . . . . · ´ ` · . . · ´ ` · . . . . . . \\ • ·
ᵃᵛᵃᵗᵃʳ ᵇʸ ˡᵘᵖᶤᶰᶻᵖᵃᶜᵏ

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”