.::: Mate 'IQ' :::.

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

What's your mate's 'IQ' out of ten?

10 (Best)
15%
7-9
35%
4-6
30%
1-3 (Worst)
20%

Total votes: 638

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Re: .::: Mate 'IQ' :::.

Post by duskypack » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Okay, my mate is the worst. She rarely hunts, barely feeds my pups, but worst of all on the journey my mate picked up my pup and ran off a long way away, and then repeated with the second pup. I absolutely hate to say this, but the 2.5 mates were better then 2.7 >.>

Edit: Woah, wait, did my mate just carry a pup across the river? ...My mate just ran a super far way with a pup in her mouth, carried it across the river and then plopped it down, and now it's the closest pup to the rendezvous site.

...I have no idea what I think of it, but I take back my complaint. Their free will can be annoying, but I'm still in shock at that feat my mate performed.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Pokemonz
Pup
Pup

Post by Pokemonz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:51 pm

duskypack wrote:Okay, my mate is the worst. She rarely hunts, barely feeds my pups, but worst of all on the journey my mate picked up my pup and ran off a long way away, and then repeated with the second pup. I absolutely hate to say this, but the 2.5 mates were better then 2.7 >.>

Edit: Woah, wait, did my mate just carry a pup across the river? ...My mate just ran a super far way with a pup in her mouth, carried it across the river and then plopped it down, and now it's the closest pup to the rendezvous site.

...I have no idea what I think of it, but I take back my complaint. Their free will can be annoying, but I'm still in shock at that feat my mate performed.
That seems really frightening tbh, I would not want my mate to do that. But I would probably let them do that for every pup. Lazy, I know, but efficient.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:31 pm

While the mates are smarter with hunting and not getting stuck, they aren't quite as useful with pup rearing. My mate doesn't help me chase coyotes or fight bears and stranger wolves, and doesn't go off to hunt on her own like the old mates did, so all defending and feeding is pretty much all up to you. Perhaps this is just me?

I have yet to see how helpful they are with the journey mission, but hopefully they'll be more useful ^.^ I have heard people say that the mates will lead you to wear the shallow crossing is though and help carry pups across (instead of drowning them like in 2.5 lol)
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Crestie
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Crestie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 pm

roguemoon wrote:While the mates are smarter with hunting and not getting stuck, they aren't quite as useful with pup rearing. My mate doesn't help me chase coyotes or fight bears and stranger wolves, and doesn't go off to hunt on her own like the old mates did, so all defending and feeding is pretty much all up to you. Perhaps this is just me?

I have yet to see how helpful they are with the journey mission, but hopefully they'll be more useful ^.^ I have heard people say that the mates will lead you to wear the shallow crossing is though and help carry pups across (instead of drowning them like in 2.5 lol)
No, my mate didnt help with predators either. She did feed a pup twice, but other than that, she wasn't helpful with pup rearing. She was most helpful with hunting and keeping the pups moving while on the journey. I wish she would've helped when I lost a pup to a predator. I was too far to do anything but she was right there. :?

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:04 am

Crestie wrote:
roguemoon wrote:While the mates are smarter with hunting and not getting stuck, they aren't quite as useful with pup rearing. My mate doesn't help me chase coyotes or fight bears and stranger wolves, and doesn't go off to hunt on her own like the old mates did, so all defending and feeding is pretty much all up to you. Perhaps this is just me?

No, my mate didnt help with predators either. She did feed a pup twice, but other than that, she wasn't helpful with pup rearing. She was most helpful with hunting and keeping the pups moving while on the journey. I wish she would've helped when I lost a pup to a predator. I was too far to do anything but she was right there. :?

My mate was a bit more helpful on the final journey, she'd go off and find a carcass and bring back food while I kept the pups moving. Though she wouldn't feed them right away after coming back and instead wait a few minutes while they were hungry.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:58 am

Yeah I have that same issue; you have to hunt and defend the pups all on your own.
As for the journey, my mate was actually pretty smart. I gotta give her that. xD
. - Jeames - .

For the last time,
I am a STICK okay?!?!
Oh and I own Paradiigm.
Now I must go annoy Dom.
sig/av ↝ Paradiigm/noir_187

Mozzarella
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mozzarella » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:29 pm

My mate was a bit of an idiot. Every time I left the den to eat/hunt/mark territory or anything else she would start following me (not even helping, just following), and she wouldn't feed the pups. I ended up doing all the work until the journey, when she seemed to wise up and actually help me take care of them.
4-6 I guess.

ikarishinji
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ikarishinji » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:09 pm

My mate was really good with hunting and following me around, but once the pup stage started, my mate would just... roam off... I have no idea where. Not hunting or anything. And as many said, no help with den defense, and not really a big help with getting the pups to the rendezvous site. That stage is sooo much more difficult on single player than multiplayer solely for that reason.
youll all be glad to know that my soul has undergone some much needed healing after i apologized for the earthquakes which killed thousands.

Captain Rora
Name: Rora/Roars, Lawrence
Location: The Point of N̨̗̠̲͔͍̘͜o̫̟͍͉͔̲̠ͅ ̢͈͎̝͎͍̳̥R̨̧̜̣̰̣̟͙e̘̗̣͓̝͓̺̹t̨͈̠̯̙̤͚̭ų͎̖̞̦̲̬ͅr̡̙̥̹̩͓̣̣n̖̠̪͚̩̞͈͙

Post by Captain Rora » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:39 pm

In all honesty I miss my 2.5 mates. They were pretty smart [at least, compared to the other horror stories I've heard], helped feed the pups and always killed the coyotes for me, not to mention was a great help in general when coming to the looooong travel to the rendezvous site [they never drowned my pups either!]. cx

My mate in 2.7 however is pretty much useless apart from helping me hunt and the very rare occasion of feeding our pups [normally after I helped him hunt]. When I mark the territory he doesn't guard the pups or even help me, and when it comes to the summer journey he just follows me around and wags his tail about. He doesn't even pick up the pups and bring them to me which annoys the heck out of me.

Eh, at least they don't get stuck behind the den anymore. The actual pathfinding is much better, even if having a mate is pretty much completely useless once you have the pups. xD

How would I rate them?

2.5 Mates: An 7-9
2.7 Mates: A 3-5
- A U R O R A -
).........(\_
((.____/{ "-;
)).-' {{ ;'`
( (.;._ \\
DISTANT BLOODS PACK
- HEY AH HEY AH ♥︎
The Box of S̱̪̘̖̙͇̱̜͚̝͜ͅh̢̡̳̬̗̖͎̞̠͖̱ͅa̫̹͉̫̗͉̞̰̖̣͇̗m̤͖̖͎̖̼͔̯̤̩̪̫ḛ̡̠̗͉̰̳̰̞̫ͅͅ

altias
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Rowan

Post by altias » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:03 pm

I guess I'll post an update on my opinion of mate IQ now that I've played through SC more thoroughly in 2.7!

When it comes to hunting together, it's pretty much a 9/10. It'd be nice to see them do more biting or hanging onto the elk, even if that means they lose a bit of stamina themselves. Taking down an elk takes less time with a mate helping out!

When it comes to raising the pups..... uh. Hm. I can't rate too low - my mate sometimes got food, but not often. He mostly wandered off and came back at random intervals, and when I went to get food, he'd come with me rather than going back to watch the pups. I'd give the raising pups bit a 5/10.

When it comes to co-oping and going to the rendezvous I'd give a solid 4. They do their best, honestly, but don't quite do it right - they will get food if you wait with the pups and they get notably low, but they might go really far to get to the nearest carcass. (I don't know if this counts for going across the entire map; I had my mate go a fair distance, but not that far!) They occasionally pick up pups and bring them to you, but not often - be prepared to lead the way for a majority of the time!

At one point, my mate took one pup across the river at a farther point than I was intending him to do (I had a safe spot but he decided to go farther up the river?). He then took the pup up to Little Butte (we were around there, but not quite across the river yet - we were at the Saddle Meadows den) and stayed up there for a while until a while after I'd crossed the river and gotten closer to the butte. At that point, he brought the pup back (it was so hungry ): food for everyone!!) and took another one farther ahead. When I caught up to him, he was frozen and I had to reload since he wouldn't move (nor could I push him!).

After that it was pretty smooth, but I had to lead the way and carry the pups the most. It'd be nice if the mate could like.... chase nearby predators and attack them a few times (enough so that coyotes would die and bears would run off), and if they had a way to calculate like... Oh, there's a pup trailing a bit far, I bettter go get it! And not do it when you're still relatively close to the pup.

All that considering (I feel like I wrote an essay! oops), I'd rate 7/10. For 2.5, I'd rate maybe 4-5/10.

✦ ✧ follow the stars ✧ ✦
they / them or ae/aer pronouns | nonbinary | 24 years old
previously cosla27 | my wolfquest blog

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:23 pm

I decided to list every problem I've seem with the mates, with the hopes that those problems can be identified and fixed.

All of the Summer Journey:

1. Obsession with getting food, and scanty amounts as well. My mate rarely does anything except find food. He goes off for long periods of time and then finally returns to feed only one pup, and he's very picky in selecting the pups. Since he feeds the pups before he picks them up, he always feeds the one farthest from me regardless of it's health. If the pup is at full health, he doesn't feed the pups at all. I'm also annoyed that he rarely is around, I like to spend time and bond with my family. As soon as a pup is fed and carried he runs off again for who knows how long. The only way to make him pick up (and usually not feed) other pups is to chase him, and then he'll go back and bring a pup to you. The worst part is this: on a youtube playthrough I watched (found here: the mate ran off to get food and never returned . The player actually got to the Rendezvous Site but the mate still didn't return, so her pups starved to death at the Rendezvous Site. She had all four pups, the playthrough was going well, but the mate was just glitching around and being stupid. That ruined that whole game, because of the mate.

2. The mate running off with the pups in random directions (Saddle Meadows only). This has been my own and the Youtuber I linked to's experience with the Saddle Meadow den. The mate would randomly pick up a pup and then run off when you're crossing the river with a pup in the direction of the rendezvous site. Sometimes the mate brings the pup back (after it has significantly starved, such as in the Youtube video I'm linking to) or, in my own experience, as I'm trying to bring my family back together my scattered pups are eaten by predators.

(The link for this glitch: (It starts at 7:20 of the video)

General Glitchiness:

1. The mate got stuck in the rocks of Little Butte at 8:57 in this video:
But in my personal experience the mate has never been stuck, so bravo!

2. My mate was frozen in mid-turn sequence (no screenshots, sorry!). I tried everything but my mate was stuck.

Misc:

1. Not really a glitch, but the Youtuber I've been citing this whole time had problems with her mate chasing the elk in a straight line for a very long distance.

2. I really wish the mate helped with predators. Combined with the inability to feed multiple pups and the odd carrying, the mate can be useless.

Things I do like:

1. Hunting with my mate. I really enjoy that when I leave the den my mate comes with me and we can hunt!

2. The interactions. I love stalking, sleeping and general interactions with my mate. I also love how the mate has a different howl from yours <3

3. Generally everything at the den, hunting, seeing my mate interact with the pups, just everything!

4. The mate's carrying pups across the river. There's no drowning here! The mate is really good at carrying the pups at shallow places, and even just finding shallow areas for you.

5. That the mate can be genuinely helpful. Even with everything listed above, the mate can save my pups from starving to death and can really be helpful, even if you do rarely see them. My mate has saved my pups from starving, and many of the problems listed above vary which computer I'm on or I've seen but not experienced personally.

Yes, besides all those pup-rearing problems, the mate really is smarter! So, my mate has a high IQ but bad parenting xD

¯~_°. .°_~¯
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Crestie
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Crestie » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:10 pm

duskypack wrote:I decided to list every problem I've seem with the mates, with the hopes that those problems can be identified and fixed.

All of the Summer Journey:

1. Obsession with getting food, and scanty amounts as well. My mate rarely does anything except find food. He goes off for long periods of time and then finally returns to feed only one pup, and he's very picky in selecting the pups. Since he feeds the pups before he picks them up, he always feeds the one farthest from me regardless of it's health. If the pup is at full health, he doesn't feed the pups at all. I'm also annoyed that he rarely is around, I like to spend time and bond with my family. As soon as a pup is fed and carried he runs off again for who knows how long. The only way to make him pick up (and usually not feed) other pups is to chase him, and then he'll go back and bring a pup to you. The worst part is this: on a youtube playthrough I watched (found here: the mate ran off to get food and never returned . The player actually got to the Rendezvous Site but the mate still didn't return, so her pups starved to death at the Rendezvous Site. She had all four pups, the playthrough was going well, but the mate was just glitching around and being stupid. That ruined that whole game, because of the mate.

YES! I had this problem/glitch with the mate going to get food and never coming back. She went over little butte to get food, cam back to me then ran back over and over. My pups would have starved had I not just given up. :/

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:39 pm

Haha, I think the mate depends on the computer. My mate was the worst dork ever when I was on a laptop (that had a wee bit of difficulty running Wolfquest) but when I got on my fancy computer my mate was an absolute angel <3

Now that I see my mate in his full glory I'd say 9/10, a point deducted because he wouldn't always carry pups for me ^p^
¯~_°. .°_~¯
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Well, so far in the demo, I have a wolf named Ava and her mate is named Erick and I noticed that he's pretty good at hunting, but he lacks decent social skills.....when I go into the social arena with another wolf, he just stands there like this:
Spoiler
Show

Although one time he stood like that, but his rear end was facing the other wolves AND camera XD

In other words.....Erick is a derp.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:30 pm

...Every last one of my pups died at the rendezvous site while my mate ran in circles. Please, Wolfquest Team, please fix this glitch because it has ruined many a Wolfquest game.

I also discovered a fix for this: if your pups are near-death at the Rendezvous Site, switch the game mode to Pretty Easy and go back and get your mate. Howl, push them, whatever needs to be done and eventually they will run back. Yes, your pups do still die by the time your mate gets to the Rendezvous Site because they will have followed you a distance out, but I guess it helps...?

This glitch has ruined the game for me.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”