What are your techniques for hunting elk?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

tuffpuppy
Pup
Pup

Re: What are your techniques for hunting elk?

Post by tuffpuppy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:42 pm

On single player, I'll pick out the weakest cow and chase it in the direction of a carcass. Once I get to the carcass my health is pretty low from biting the elk, so I eat my fill from that carcass and go back to hunting my elk. I normally only have to feed off a carcass once to kill it but if it's a strong one I sometimes have to do it more.
When life gives you lemons make apple juice and let everyone wonder how on earth you did it...

WildStormWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WildStormWolf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm

SkulledOverBeauty wrote:I normally bite the side of it, and run alongside it, herding it until it reaches a border where it's cornered and it can't go anywhere and then my other pack members ambush it...
StormySunshine3 wrote:I always hunt near the tree den and herd the elk up to the den so they cant move. Although if i'm on multiplayer everyone else sorta messes up that tactic. :)
I do the same sometimes...

In SP I just chase it to the den, trap it there and my mate is there killing it with me and the pups watching, it ends pretty fast...
But in MP, I learnt from a good bunch of friends and figured the some out myself. So I herd it to the den and bite it alone the way, everyone else is waiting there to end it quick. When it arrives we all attack it at once, we circle it, taking turns at biting it. If someone is low on health they sit it out and wait for dinner. If the elk is a bit away from our 'kill pile' or 'stash' we just stalk it up toward it. One of my packs had killed over 10 bulls without dying this way, so I'd call this technique a winner!

When I'm hunting alone, I use my very useful stats. 5.0 Strength, 0.0 Stamina, 5.0 Speed or -0.2 Strength 0.1 Stamina 0.1 Speed and corner it, trap it or face it head on. I also find running at the side helpful and attacking the neck while it's running even if you can have a little lag while holding on.

TIP: Take breaks to refill your stamina, biting with low stamina will drain your health faster! (I learnt this the hard way)
IT'S NOT WHETHER YOU FALL DOWN
IT'S WHETHER YOU GET BACK UP

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Fri May 27, 2016 1:18 pm

I myself have had to change huntingg tactics going from 2.5 going into 2.7. I use a fast wolf and with 2.5, I used to be able to run fast enough to get alongside of the elk(with camera unlocked) and bite the elk in the throat....this was extremely successful for a fast wolf with low strength. However, it doesn't appear to be possible in 2.7 (if anyone can prove me wrong please enlighten me) So I now, using my fast wolf run up to the herd, noting which ones run (as those are the weak ones), then picking out the weakest I run up to the elk and bite the back as many times as I can (usually about 5 or 6 bites as I have 50 some stamina) before the elk outpaces me. So I then slow down, or sit a moment until stamina recovers and then chase after the elk once again, repeating the process until the elk loses enough health to turn around and confront me. At that point I make quick dashes and try to bite without getting hurt, sometimes getting away with that due to my wolf's speed other times not.

I am rather successful using those tactics....soo much soo that have had some troubles with my new wolf which is a lot slower and focuses a bit more on strength lol...I literally don't know how to hunt without a fast wolf :P
My fast wolf...in 2.7 has 0 str, 53 stamina and 97 speed
My other wolf is still a work in progress as mentioned above. Open to suggestions and hunting techniques for him.

Sooooo would love to hear what you guys do and have found successful in your hunts with 2.7. Does anyone have a video perhaps to share? I used to have one of my wolf in 2.5 hunting (will look and see if it is around somewhere)...but have yet to try and do one for 2.7.

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Mon May 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Rustic wrote: I am rather successful using those tactics....soo much soo that have had some troubles with my new wolf which is a lot slower and focuses a bit more on strength lol...I literally don't know how to hunt without a fast wolf :P
My fast wolf...in 2.7 has 0 str, 53 stamina and 97 speed
My other wolf is still a work in progress as mentioned above. Open to suggestions and hunting techniques for him.
Weaker elk are much less risky to hunt. The stronger elk (that back up and face you) will attack your wolf if you get too close, but after they lose a certain amount of health they will run. This applies to both bull and cow elk. After any elk's health level drops to a certain amount they will fight you again.

I have had success hunting cow elk in 2.7 with a wolf with 45 strength, 86 stamina, and 19 speed. With high stamina, I'm able to hold on longer when biting the elk and drain the elk's health faster. I've been able to catch up to the cow elk by cutting corners when she makes a turn.

I've also tried another method. If I stop running, the elk turns around and starts back towards the herd. That way I can get the elk to walk in my direction. If your wolf has low speed but high strength and stamina, try using this method to catch up to the elk. You will have the advantage of being able to weaken the elk faster.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”