What are your techniques for hunting elk?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Kate13
Pup
Pup

Re: What are your techniques for hunting elk?

Post by Kate13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 am

I hunt by suprise attack, and in FRONT of the elk so it runs into you and you wont waste up stamina. Then we all take turns biting it.

Fallenshadow1319
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Fallenshadow1319 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:51 am

In Singleplayer...

I scare off an elk away from the herd, but not too far away so I don't waste energy. I wait for it to turn, and when it down, I trot in front of it and, when the moment is right, I get in front and bite it's neck. I keep doing it over and over until the elk slows down, and then I just bite it rapidly until it dies.

In Multiplayer...

I try to do the same technique, but since no one listens when I try to tell them how to do it the easier way, they ignore me and and chase it all over the place, so I have to try and keep up =D That's why I have really fast stats, but my bite is really weak, so I keep up with the group and contribute as much as I can because they won't do it the easier way x3
-Moved to Froward Schatzi-

Trexxaheart
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Trexxaheart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:45 pm

I wait carefully for the moment to attack on a herd, and I find the weakest one, trying to bite it in the front. Then, when it gets too far away from me while I'm chasing it, I stop and watch it wander, and then run to bite it in the front again, till it is slow enough to bite over and over again quickly and it dies. Usually, in singleplayer I hunt with my mate, otherwise I get too weak on my own.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm

brownwolf wrote:What are your favorite techniques for hunting elk?

When I hunt in multiplayer, I herd the elk to a specific area where the other players wait. Then they amubush it. If it runs away, I chase after it and let it turn a little so I can get behind it and do it again.
That's basically what I do in MP too! 0.0
And in SP, I pick off the weaker cow elk to feed my wolf.

Skipper_
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Skipper_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19 am

What I try to do when hunting is, try to catch up with the elk’s neck then bite, then keep trying to repeat until my health is too low to go that fast. (I usually have my speed all the way up on my wolf) I attack it’s rear, until it turns around. (Unless it’s already turned around) Then I try to attack the rear as it keeps turning around.

All the other techniques are really interesting, and I’ll have to try them out next time I play the game!

RedRaptor96
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by RedRaptor96 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:33 pm

What i do folks is i bite the elk and chase it if i cant catch up to it i wait let it turn around and get in front of it and bite it it works
I long for a worthy opponent

crazy_wolf xD
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by crazy_wolf xD » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:01 pm

I have many techinques, but here's my favorite. I go in FRONT of the herd, then I choose the weakest elk. Next, I chase it a little bit from the herd, but not to far, then I go in between the elk and the herd, waiting to ambush. Lastly, I chase it, and bite it, until its dead. I usually do this for both Single Player and Multiplayer. :D
~~~ Rain The Wolf~~~
The wolf who hunts
The wolf who stalks
The wolf who is, well a WOLF!

Watch out, here I come... :D

koolkatkoolkat123
Pup
Pup

Post by koolkatkoolkat123 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 am

I prefer to hunt one herd at a time so i find a weak cow chase it kill it then return to find the rest of its herd. It sounds tricky but actually its not and sometimes if i'm having trouble i chase a cow bite it back off a little bit and watch it return to the rest of the herd so it leads me straight to them

But for hunting i will check my scent view if i'm getting low on health and herd the elk towards a carcass, i don't really have a technique because my game locks me onto the back of the elk so i can't bite anywhere else. Occasionally if i ambush it i get one on the neck but it doesn't last long

caninesrock
Pup
Pup

Post by caninesrock » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 pm

I pick a female elk that doesn't have full health and then I attempt to led her back to my den so my mate can help me kill her,but that usually doesn't work. So, I chase her until she either goes into deep water and so I can attack her there or until she gets stuck by a tree. The tree is better because in deep water, I often end up getting killed by her really easily. I still sometimes get killed when she's cornered between me and a tree,but it takes longer. If I'm running low on health and I run across a dead elk while chasing her, I'll eat enough to regain my health so she won't kill me when I catch up with her and then continue chasing her until I kill her.

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 am

roguemoon wrote:I don't like eating from the carcasses randomly lying around unless I'm in desperate need, so often times I end up hunting with less than full health. So normally when I'm hunting, I'll circle the herd a few times while stalking in order to find the very weakest cow. Since my health is sometimes low when hunting, I'll chase the elk away from the herd a ways, but for the most part won't be able to catch up. In this case, I'll hang back a little and wait for her to turn around and start heading back to the herd. Once she's walked close enough, I charge and bite. I normally repeat this over and over until she's dead. I only use this tactic in singleplayer, though, so I'll have help from my mate.
It's a strategy that works surprisingly well, even with full health.
That sounds like a good strategy, since I also prefer not to eat from elk carcasses unless I have to.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

snowyrose
Pup
Pup

Post by snowyrose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 pm

When I hunt I go near the herd but not to close, either going after the bull elk or after the weakest cow elk. Once I find the weakest I charge, biting down at its legs. Once I run out of stamina, I stalk again and after the elk. I go to the side since thats where the elk tends to go, trying to go back to its herd so I follow it by changing direction and cutting it off from the herd. I continue to attack until the cow elk's health is low and when it attacks. I usually have low health as well and I stalk around it, biting down onto its legs to keep from getting kicked at when the cow rears. I keep doing this until I either die or the elk dies

WTiger0
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WTiger0 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 am

The method of hunting depends the strength, stamina and speed of each wolf in the group.

To hunt alone, if I want to get a cow elk without need eat something or use "strength bonus", I set my wolf to hight strength, very low stamina and high speed. But there's a secret here: never hunt in the elk backwards! Always make by its side, because it starts to walk in circles near you. After each bite, go away to the left or right of the elk, and try to go front of it. You'll see it walking in your front, side to side of the screen, so easy to reach. It will not run so far of you, you don't need tire your wolf unnecesarily.

In group this method doesn't works, because anyone always make to elk run away. :x

But then, The best setting for group hunting is very low strength, very high stamina, and half speed (this can be changed depending the number of players in the hunt group). In this case, hunt by backwards works well. When the health of a player is very low, another one continues chasing the elk.

:)

§ W.TGR §

Sober wild heart.

Birchpaw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Birchpaw » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:09 am

On single player, I notice that whatever direction you attack elk, they run forwards. So I run ahead, ambush them from the side and get an attack every time! :D Then my mate runs in and helps, so even if its a bull, the hunt's successful!
Lover of rp, happy to join any kind, warrior cats, loner or pack. Currently trying out dragon rp. Feel free to add me as a friend, I will friend anyone back ^_^

StormySunshine3
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by StormySunshine3 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:37 pm

I always hunt near the tree den and herd the elk up to the den so they cant move. Although if i'm on multiplayer everyone else sorta messes up that tactic. :)

SkulledOverBeauty
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SkulledOverBeauty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:21 pm

I normally bite the side of it, and run alongside it, herding it until it reaches a border where it's cornered and it can't go anywhere and then my other pack members ambush it...

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”