What are your techniques for hunting elk?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

[Frost]
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: What are your techniques for hunting elk?

Post by [Frost] » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:56 am

Because I usually hunt alone in multiplayer, my tactic is to chase the elk, leading it by as many existing carcasses as I can to refill my health. On singleplayer, I try to do the same thing, but because my mate seems to never need to stop and rest, he ends up doing most of the work -- biting the elk until he is almost dead. Then it's my job to come in for the kill.
"To play without passion is inexcusable!" --Ludwig van Beethoven
...........................♪♫Classical music fan♫♪

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Well my techniques are Waiting for people to join my chat and then we hunt as a pack^^ That it.
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:56 pm

I use a method that a few other people do. When hunting in single player or multi player (Slough Creek) I cross the river first and run at the herd head-on. The one I happen to bite is the one I hunt. xD I chase it away from the river so it doesn't mess me up, and then I turn it so that it is faced away from the herd. Then I wait and don't move. It will turn and walk back around towards the river, almost straight towards you, so you can run forward and bite it again. I do that over and over until it turns around and fights; then I just bite it. On Amethyst Mountain, I just chase it to the edge of the map.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:23 pm

WolvesOfTheSeas wrote:Well my techniques are Waiting for people to join my chat and then we hunt as a pack^^ That it.
Or couching down, low to the ground
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Zanizaila
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Zanizaila » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:37 pm

If it's too fast for me (it usually is), I stop chasing it, sneak around to its front, then come out of nowhere and attack it from the side.

The bulls are a different matter however... and killing them demands lots of extra food for strength. :lol:

Hipposaur
Pup
Pup

Post by Hipposaur » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:10 pm

On MP, everyone else along with myself take turns biting the elk, then if our health gets low we run away to find a carcass. Sometimes though, we just bite until we die then come back to life and continue xD. On singleplayer, I do the sme thing pretty much.
__________________ʜɪpposɑuʀ
_______________ɑvɑtɑʀ :: ʟupɪɴzpɑck
.__________________sɪɢ :: cʀupɪ

BlackFur1
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BlackFur1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:03 pm

I usually stalk the elk to see which one is weakest then attack from the side which is a lot easier then from the front or the back,then hang on till my wolf falls off then I keep at it till it's dead.
...(¨*.¸´.¸Soul Mountain Clan¸.´¸.*¨)╰☆╮BlackFur╰☆╮
.....Soul Mountain Pack:SilverSky,BlackFur
............Frozen Lake Pack:IceBlade
........Lightning Fire Field Pack:FireEyes
.....Dark Shadow Forest Pack:NightHunter
...Great Northern Winds Pack:HawkFeathers
.Avatars DO NOT belong to me!We did edit them to look like our wolves though.When I say we I mean the girls edited them.

Faolan MacDuncan
Pup
Pup

Post by Faolan MacDuncan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi, Faolan here. I hope this isn't a duplicate, but my technique for elk hunts is to run in front of the targeted elk to get a quick bite to its neck, then my pack and I chase the elk. While we chase it, we take turns biting it (almost like in a line). One wolf bites until energy runs out, then hangs back while another does the same, and so on. Near the end of the hunt, we drive the elk to a convenient place (like the usual hangout or a common path/route) before it is brought down. That way, a convenient food stash can be made over time. During single player, I chase and bite the target elk, while continuously driving it to and from different carcasses so I can get food if I'm really low on health. Of course, during multiplayer, my pack always rallies, especially before we hunt a bull elk. The usual elk that we hunt, however, is the cow with the lowest health because that is most common.

P.S. Is this a duplicate? :?

Wonderland Summer
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wonderland Summer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I just chase the cow or bull in sp to the border, then kill the cow. With the bull, the same thing except I die what, three times so thats what I do. :mrgreen: in mp I chase the elk to the den where my pack is waiting and then it gets stuck running in place head first into the den. We kill it and kill four or five more. We have a pile of food! :D
¨¨
|¨ Wonderland Summer ¨|
It's all fun and games
till somebody loses their
|..╚═ MIND ═╝..|
¨¨
Signature - Raven
Lyrics- Taylor Swift's Wonderland

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:52 am

Let's try not to make this too long.. haha ^^"
Well generally in SP, the first thing I do is get as close to the herd as possible, stalking and crouching towards the elk. Once they split and begin to separate, I single out the weakest cow and begin the chase. From there, I simply follow it and bite it when it's in range. Other times I'm pausing to build up stamina or in scent mode looking for a carcass. If my health is low, and it will be impossible for me to kill the cow before it kills me, I'll guide the elk towards one of the scent clouds of another carcass. As we pass it, I take the chance to refill my hunger bar. :D So I guess I do a similar technique as to what Faolan MacDuncan does.. :3
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

sSilvers
Yearling
Yearling

Post by sSilvers » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:38 am

Faolan MacDuncan wrote:Hi, Faolan here. I hope this isn't a duplicate, but my technique for elk hunts is to run in front of the targeted elk to get a quick bite to its neck, then my pack and I chase the elk. While we chase it, we take turns biting it (almost like in a line). One wolf bites until energy runs out, then hangs back while another does the same, and so on. Near the end of the hunt, we drive the elk to a convenient place (like the usual hangout or a common path/route) before it is brought down. That way, a convenient food stash can be made over time. During single player, I chase and bite the target elk, while continuously driving it to and from different carcasses so I can get food if I'm really low on health. Of course, during multiplayer, my pack always rallies, especially before we hunt a bull elk. The usual elk that we hunt, however, is the cow with the lowest health because that is most common.

P.S. Is this a duplicate? :?
No, it's not. ^^ Duplicate means posting a topic about something, but a topic for it is already there. ^^ This thread is mainly used to share you technique for hunting elk.

Anyway, my technique is to stalk around the herd, find the weakest one and just bite wear I can.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Lithium, proud to be a Kuangalia of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816
/////////////////////////////////////Icon By Kivia

amchip
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by amchip » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:55 am

I pick the hunting ground closest to the end of the map and then chase the elk till it cant run farther then kill it thank goodness for the end of the map! :lol:
This is my official last visit, let the fun I had here stay for the next generation of WolfQuest users!

6Silverfire6
Pup
Pup

Post by 6Silverfire6 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Its kinda funny, i guess you could say that i sort of cheat when i hunt, i have many techniques that help me out, such as chasing an elk around to carcasses, so they sometimes get stuck on them, if they dont, then i still eat some so im really fast again and catch up to it easily, another thing is when i star getting slow and there is no carcass nearby, i just sit and wait, then the elk turns back to go to its herd and run in front of it, so that just as it starts running i come into contact with its side and bite it and keep doing that, i used to chase them ito the trees to make them get stuck on them, but that doesnt really work anymore, but i can still chase them to the edge of the map where they get stuck, then i kill them there, or chasing them into the river at an angle so they are in the river which makes them slower of course, so i run along the bank where i get close to them and jump in and bite them, then they sometimes cant get out of the river. Most of my tricks include the elk getting stuck :) oh another one i forgot is chasing them through their herd so they get stuck on other elk momentarily so i can catch up a little more. I cant think of any others at the moment but those are some of my simple little tricks, not sure if anyone else uses them or not but i use them mostly when im alone so i can still catch something.

Oh and P.S.- Of course i always pick the weakest elk i can find too, that helps.

Faolan MacDuncan
Pup
Pup

Post by Faolan MacDuncan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:20 pm

My new hunting strategy is to find the weakest cow elk or the bull, stalk it by scent trail, then chase it, driving it away from the herd. Any other elk that get in the way are bitten to get them to go away (like with bears I guess), then the target elk is attacked by the pack/ my wolf and brought down. During single player, I only hunt cow elk for the most part. My single player strategy is to find the weakest cow, drive it away from the rest, then attack/bite it repeatedly while driving it back and forth between carcasses (so my wolf doesnt die; that's really annoying in single player!!!) until I bring it down.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am

I don't like eating from the carcasses randomly lying around unless I'm in desperate need, so often times I end up hunting with less than full health. So normally when I'm hunting, I'll circle the herd a few times while stalking in order to find the very weakest cow. Since my health is sometimes low when hunting, I'll chase the elk away from the herd a ways, but for the most part won't be able to catch up. In this case, I'll hang back a little and wait for her to turn around and start heading back to the herd. Once she's walked close enough, I charge and bite. I normally repeat this over and over until she's dead. I only use this tactic in singleplayer, though, so I'll have help from my mate.
It's a strategy that works surprisingly well, even with full health.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”