What are your techniques for hunting elk?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

spirit77

Re: What are your techniques for hunting elk?

Post by spirit77 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 am

Single Player I choose the weakest elk, then I chase it and bite it until it tires. Then I kill it.
Multiplayer I chase the elk to the edge of the river, then the other players ambush it. Then we all bring it down!
:)

ruby67
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ruby67 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Singleplayer: When I reach the hunting ground I have chosen to go to, I find the scent trail and follow it until I see the herd. I then circle the herd, finally selecting the weakest female elk. I scatter the herd, then single out the one I have chosen. When I catch up with it, I either grab onto its rear, or the neck. When it begins to counterattack, I bite on the side of it, until the last bite - the neck. Then I eat :)

Multiplayer: I havent hunted much on multiplayer, but when I do, I usually set up a plan. Strong wolves ( about 2-3 ) wait until the fast wolves ( remaining wolves ) push the elk towards them. Then we bring it down together and eat.
"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."

"Appreciate what you have, before it becomes what you had."

FANG - THE MYSTERIOUS WHITE WOLF

ninnu
Pup
Pup

Post by ninnu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 am

My hunting techniques are same in single player and multiplayer. I just sneak around the elk herd, look for the weakest elk and I start to chasing it. Sometimes these weak elks are so fast that I just stop hunting them becasue my wolf can't catch up O_O

Sakora12
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sakora12 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:58 pm

I make make two pack members go off and chase an elk while three more will wait for the two that went ahead. the chasers will chase the elk to the members waiting and we all then attack it at once when the elk gets to the wolves who waited. because of that technique, the elk is now surrounded and the hunt is a success.

Katherine Vampire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Katherine Vampire » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:09 pm

In SP i usually chase the elk and bite it till i tired it and turns to fight, and then kill it.
In MP, me and 2 of my friends chase the elk and the others stay in front of us, and when the elk is near them they bite it's neck.

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Post by Pelican » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:11 pm

I haven't tried this exactly yet, but I think a good way to do it would be to go for the bull (they tend to have more meat, I think), then have one wolf chase it on the right side. After that, have another wolf chase it on the other side, where they lead it to where another wolf is hiding. The last wolf should jump at the elk and bite it, with the help of the other two wolves biting it until it dies. Then the wolves can enjoy the carcass!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:22 pm

ninnu wrote:My hunting techniques are same in single player and multiplayer. I just sneak around the elk herd, look for the weakest elk and I start to chasing it. Sometimes these weak elks are so fast that I just stop hunting them becasue my wolf can't catch up O_O
Perhaps you should consider raising your stamina/speed level in the future when creating new games. This should help solve that issue. Or, you can always attempt to find another carcass to regain your strength. If you are in multiplayer, you can also rally for a strength boost. :)
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

firepheonix
Pup
Pup

Post by firepheonix » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:40 am

In single player:-
First, choose a weakest elk. So, I'm started to stalk. Then I chase it! After I bit once,stalk again until the stamina increase again. After the stamina is full,I chase it and bite again. And I do it again,again and again until the elk died.

In multi player:-
Well, I don't hunt in Multiplayer. Because it is too laggy. So i just have a chat with friends. If they force me to hunt, I will do the skill just like in single player, but I won't join them to hunt. Sorry 8)
.............¸¸.*¨*`.Moon Howler Pack.*¨*`.¸.
.............................ƒrεεժօ is a spirit,
...........................ƒrεεժօ is օvεr thεrε
.........................ƒrεεժօ livεs iռ hεart
.....................Hօաl at thε Mօօn ƒօr thε pacĸ.
........................Anժ this աilժεrnεss is օurs!
.....................'......¸¸.*¨*`..*¨*`.¸.

Snillet
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Snillet » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 am

I've done some videos to youtube explaining how I usually hunt elks. This is only when I hunt for myself, though. And I'm using full strength so you may have to eat some carcasses when I don't have to, if you're weaker.

How to hunt down a (cow) elk alone:

How to hunt down a whole herd:

The bunny bush:

NOTE: I've figured out how to make the elk turn back to the herd, if it doesn't do by itself. Simply move a little forward, scary it, to make it move some steps. After that, back off and it may turn. If it doesn't, it can work to scare it even more by making it run just a couple of steps, and then back off. If the herd isn't near it will not work though.

I also just realised that I wrote my first forum post. Wow.

lucarioheart200

Post by lucarioheart200 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:51 am

I really don't have a technique.... c:
I just run after it and bite it until it dies.
In between all of that, I'll go off and find a carcasse and snack on that.
Then I'll get back to running and biting.

Larkey

Post by Larkey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Well, mine`s not really a technique, but what I do is search for the weakest elk, then chase it.

Canine-
Pup
Pup

Post by Canine- » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:07 pm

I have quite a few techniques but I'll tell you my favourite one.
So usually when I'm in Multiplayer, I run circles around the elk checking their health.
I pick the weakest one and herd it away from the herd.
then I howl and usually that signals the other people to come ambush it.
___(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸Canine¸.´¸.*¨)¸.*¨)
._» "For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, «
_.» and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." «
______________________-яυ∂уαя∂ кιρℓιηg
_______.___
______________Sig/Dreamer

Khia 112
Pup
Pup

Post by Khia 112 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:02 pm

If I'm hunting with a group on MP, we usually herd one of them to the others and ambush it.

If I'm hunting by myself or on SP, I usually just run, bite, rest, and repeat until it dies.
Sometimes I walk a distance to the side and then come around at from the side or front.
......................'..Rain, rain, go away
.....................Come again another day
...............All the world is waiting for the sun
.......................To lie here under you
.......................Is all I could ever do ♥

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

BlaiseWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: In my isolation mode - Food, Music, the comfy chair, and obviously Wolf Quest multiplayer!!!!

Post by BlaiseWolf » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Here's my strategy when I'm all alone, no mate, no pups - Just me and my wolfy [hey that rhymes :) ]
First, approach elk herd from FRONT - not back.
Stalk toward (find weakest/most injured elk), Got it? Go bite it! FROM THE FRONT!
Don't chase it, it will be scared, and run. I've noticed most cow elks will try to get back to their herd once they've been separated. Your job is to get between it, and it's herd.
Be patient though. Once between, let it come to you, if you're in front of the herd, the elk will walk right to it's fate. Running towards it can spook it, make it kick you, and/or pass you unharmed. Running also makes you tired. Patience is a virtue :!:
Also, Pay attention, and keep up with the elk! If it suddenly turns left and you're not as close as you need to be, you may have missed a chance to bite it. But don't go too close, you could scare it away which is a waste of time (you have to go around the frightened elk again, to find a new position).
Hope this helped you newbies!
My Hunters:
Flare: Russet brown female. Master at hunting cow elk.
Syro: Huge russet black male. Master at hunting bull elk.

TheBlue
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by TheBlue » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:30 pm

First off, I love to hunt, yet my multiplayer hunting grounds been glitchy lately(don't know why).

Single player hunting amethyst-
1• the burn, there are like 2-3 sets of fallen trees bunched together, I mostly drag them near those trees to make them stuck.
2• anywhere, trap the elk at end of map
3• anywhere, head to the front of the herd and pick out the weakest and head for its side(not often front cause you have a chance of missing) and chase/trap.
4• anywhere, me and my mate chase it

Single player hunting slough-
1• near butte, head across the river before chasing them out and cut them off at the river head on. Then chase them away from river so it doesn't slow you down.
2• tactics 2-4 from amethyst

I don't hunt multiplayer on amethyst cause amethyst ground has issues on my comp

Multiplayer slough-
1• anywhere, I am beta of packs and I lead the hunts so what I do is, a pack rally. I gather the wolves explain a bit on what to do first. Im at the front of the elk herd, two members of pack are behind the herd, they will be chasing the elk to me. the two other wolves will be on separate sides of the herd. when one elk strays away and is still pointed at my direction the two wolves at the back chase the stray elk in my direction, yes it takes time to pick the right elk. I come out from waiting and spring at the elks front/side and bite, the two side wolves(judged by relative speeds), they come from side and bite both sides. The back wolves trail behind and join the hunt. We chase it the rest but mostly the elk is now slower from all the bites.
2• that is the tactic I normally use above but other than that I use similar tactics from single player to.
Blue - female, _loner_, dark blue fur, light blue eyes, stubborn, nice.
Feralheart:WolfTwirls
Youtube:ThaBIue

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”