Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 am

PearlyReborn wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 am
I like the idea of being able to carry small objects like boots or sticks and being able to take them to your den for your pups to play with, maybe with a side quest relating to collecting objects (possibly with achievements/EXP rewards if you collect them all and take them to your territory.)
I also like the idea of collectable items which could also sometimes be picked up and carried. Collectible items would make for good side quests, and perhaps by finding all the collectibles in each map players could earn an achievement. These collectible items would be visible in a separate tab in Pack Stats, and each item would have a description of its origin and purpose. Collectibles would be split into two different categories: manmade objects, left behind by tourists and other humans, and natural objects found in nature.

Manmade objects could include:
1. The old boots that would return from the old game.
2. Old necklaces, rings, and other pieces of jewellery.
3. Old hats, scarves, and other pieces of clothing.
4. Native American artifacts, like arrowheads.
5. Lost letters from tourists (in the Yellowstone maps) and from former residents of Lost River (exclusive to Lost River).
6. Old cereal boxes with the WolfQuest logo on them, found in the streets of Lost River. There would be an achievement for finding all of them.
7. Other pieces of human detritus.

Natural collectible objects would include:
1. Antler sheds from the three Cervid species in the game (Mule Deer, Elk, and Moose) which could be found in areas where those animals are often found.
2. Eagle and Raven feathers.
3. An elk jawbone, left behind from an elk carcass.
4. Fragments of various rare natural objects, like actual Amethyst rocks around the summit of Amethyst Mountain.
5. A Bighorn Sheep skull on the cliffs of Amethyst Mountain.
6. A Bison horn.
7. An eagle talon.
8. Other natural objects.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:19 pm

DinoDogDude209 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 am
PearlyReborn wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 am
I like the idea of being able to carry small objects like boots or sticks and being able to take them to your den for your pups to play with, maybe with a side quest relating to collecting objects (possibly with achievements/EXP rewards if you collect them all and take them to your territory.)
I also like the idea of collectable items which could also sometimes be picked up and carried. Collectible items would make for good side quests, and perhaps by finding all the collectibles in each map players could earn an achievement. These collectible items would be visible in a separate tab in Pack Stats, and each item would have a description of its origin and purpose. Collectibles would be split into two different categories: manmade objects, left behind by tourists and other humans, and natural objects found in nature.

Manmade objects could include:
1. The old boots that would return from the old game.
2. Old necklaces, rings, and other pieces of jewellery.
3. Old hats, scarves, and other pieces of clothing.
4. Native American artifacts, like arrowheads.
5. Lost letters from tourists (in the Yellowstone maps) and from former residents of Lost River (exclusive to Lost River).
6. Old cereal boxes with the WolfQuest logo on them, found in the streets of Lost River. There would be an achievement for finding all of them.
7. Other pieces of human detritus.

Natural collectible objects would include:
1. Antler sheds from the three Cervid species in the game (Mule Deer, Elk, and Moose) which could be found in areas where those animals are often found.
2. Eagle and Raven feathers.
3. An elk jawbone, left behind from an elk carcass.
4. Fragments of various rare natural objects, like actual Amethyst rocks around the summit of Amethyst Mountain.
5. A Bighorn Sheep skull on the cliffs of Amethyst Mountain.
6. A Bison horn.
7. An eagle talon.
8. Other natural objects.

I hope you don't mind if I add my thoughts on this. C:
I think it would be a great idea trying to find objects and receiving achievements, just like in 2.7. But I don't think we should be able to carry them. We don't have dens in AM and LR, so I'm not sure why we could carry an item that has no functionality. In SL, your den would eventually become very cluttered and unnatural. Wolves in the wild don't actively seek out objects and hoard it to their dens. But maybe the natural items could be brand new achievement items.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Ogk1990
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ogk1990 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:36 am

hi what would be nice would be to be able to increase the statistics for example life.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Ideas for collectibles/similar features

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 am

GoldenBeauty wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:19 pm

I think it would be a great idea trying to find objects and receiving achievements, just like in 2.7. But I don't think we should be able to carry them. We don't have dens in AM and LR, so I'm not sure why we could carry an item that has no functionality. In SL, your den would eventually become very cluttered and unnatural. Wolves in the wild don't actively seek out objects and hoard it to their dens. But maybe the natural items could be brand new achievement items.
I agree that, in the context of a real wolf out in the wild, it doesn't seem very logical to pick up and move random items that don't serve much of a function to the wolf. I also agree that this could lead to players unrealistically cluttering their dens with them. However, I don't think that's a reason to omit the idea of "collectable" items entirely, or relegate the idea to a Steam achievement that's just kind of there for players who are willing to take the time to find them all. I feel like just using ideas like that for an achievement doesn't give enough incentive for players to actually go and try to find these items (after all, who is going to scour all these huge new maps to find every last hidden object just to say they've earned all the achievements? Probably not many players). I don't think it should be required to find them, but I think players should get more out of finding a hidden item than just an achievement. I apologize if I seem overly harsh, but in my opinion it seems a bit pointless to add such objects to the game if they serve little to no purpose other than an achievement that pops up while you're playing. So below are some ideas for how to implement this idea in a way that wouldn't impede the realism of the game.

For a touch of extra fun and a secondary challenge, perhaps players could activate side missions in singleplayer that require them to find a certain number of "Collectables" (your wolf wouldn't actually collect them, that's just not realistic) with the objective being to allow your wolf to get to know the area more and to encourage scouting and exploration. By completing these side objectives players could maybe earn a small EXP boost, and by completing all the collectible missions for a certain episode/map players could earn a special achievement, or even perks (for example, players could unlock an upgrade for their scent view by managing to sniff out all those old boots and other human objects around the map). Currently active side missions would be visible under the Quests menu in Pack stats. Below is an example of what one of these side missions could be like.

Side Quest: Shed Hunter
Goal: Find 3 antler sheds from each of the 3 main cervid species in Amethyst Mountain in order to find out where these species' winter feeding grounds are.
Reward: EXP Reward
Objective checklist:
Find 3 Mule Deer antler sheds in Amethyst Mountain
Find 3 Elk antler sheds in Amethyst Mountain
Find 3 Moose antler sheds in Amethyst Mountain

Alternatively, as I suggested in a post above, there could be a separate tab in either Pack Stats or on the main menu screen that would show all the hidden objects the player has found in each map, along with how many of each object they've found, and a little piece of information on each object such as where it came from, whether it is naturally occurring or a piece of human detritus, and what purpose it serves in real life. Perhaps there would be certain achievements tied to finding all these objects in a specific map/episode in the game. In my opinion that would create more of an incentive for players to find such items than just to earn an achievement, while also preventing players from hoarding such items or making it interfere with the gameplay or realistic experience.

In my opinion, while the idea of conventional collectables like in most RPG games doesn't exactly fit perfectly logically in the context of WolfQuest and a wolf's life, that should not mean that the idea should be ruled out entirely. There are plenty of ways to implement such mechanics into the game without being intrusive to the gameplay or compromising the realistic nature of the game, while also introducing more replay value to the game and keeping players playing longer, as well as encouraging players to explore the levels more. Giving players more reasons to replay the game and explore the levels is a good thing that I wish more games would try to do, because when it is pulled off correctly it can vastly improve an otherwise mediocre singleplayer experience. I believe that WolfQuest's singleplayer experience has the potential to have a lot of replay value that will keep players coming back again and again for more if the team at least considers adding more features like this.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:16 pm

I think playing as a different animal other than a wolf would be very, very silly, because then it wouldn't be WolfQuest, it would something else entirely. I'd prefer to stick to WolfQuest.
...But, pups are wolves, too! I think it'd be really cool to play as a pup, but only in multiplayer. It could be a multiplayer mode, where, say, if there are only two game slots, one person is the pup, the other is the adult. If four, one or two people are the pups, and the other three/two are the adults. If six, one/three people are pups and the rest are adults. If eight, one/four people are pups and the rest are adults. If WQ3 expands the number of game slots to ten, then one-five people could play as pups and the rest could be adults. I think that'd be pretty cool!
Edit: Yes, I also think being able to pick up/collect objects you find around the maps and bringing them to your pups or mate to examine/play with would be super fun and cute. I love collecting random things anyway, haha

Invar
Pup
Pup

Post by Invar » Fri May 22, 2020 12:28 am

GoldenBeauty wrote:
Haha! I am just the opposite -- I don't want collecting/finding objects as an achievement/game-play goal, but I do want to be able to pick stuff up and carry it.

Natural stuff, mostly -- I love the old boot, but more often antler sheds you find lying about at the right time of year, and bones that sometimes spawn from carcasses when you finish them off. Their function would be as toys -- you can chase the wolf carrying such an item and get an attack-symbol like when you hunt, but you bite the antler/bone/boot and have a tug-o-war and get tired but not hurt, and get positive-social-interaction hearts.

They wouldn't clutter up the den because (a) they wouldn't last very long, they get torn apart after 3d4 tug-fights or so, (b) carrying one will trigger your mate to try to play, tugging it away from you, so you can't carry one all that far without it getting torn apart and (c) if you let your mate have it and don't chase, they will only carry it for a little while before dropping it. And if you're alone you still will have a hard time keeping such things because (d) coyotes will pick them up and carry them a little while and drop them, or play with them and tear them apart, so they'll tend to disappear if you leave them unguarded.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:52 pm

Invar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:28 am
GoldenBeauty wrote:
Haha! I am just the opposite -- I don't want collecting/finding objects as an achievement/game-play goal, but I do want to be able to pick stuff up and carry it.

Natural stuff, mostly -- I love the old boot, but more often antler sheds you find lying about at the right time of year, and bones that sometimes spawn from carcasses when you finish them off. Their function would be as toys -- you can chase the wolf carrying such an item and get an attack-symbol like when you hunt, but you bite the antler/bone/boot and have a tug-o-war and get tired but not hurt, and get positive-social-interaction hearts.

They wouldn't clutter up the den because (a) they wouldn't last very long, they get torn apart after 3d4 tug-fights or so, (b) carrying one will trigger your mate to try to play, tugging it away from you, so you can't carry one all that far without it getting torn apart and (c) if you let your mate have it and don't chase, they will only carry it for a little while before dropping it. And if you're alone you still will have a hard time keeping such things because (d) coyotes will pick them up and carry them a little while and drop them, or play with them and tear them apart, so they'll tend to disappear if you leave them unguarded.
This is such a great idea!! That should totally be a thing in Slough Creek!

spruce56
Pup
Pup

Post by spruce56 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:45 am

I was thinking about a prequel episode to Amethyst Mountain, before your wolf disperses from their pack. Perhaps with several NPC packs to choose from, maybe the ones we know - Lamar, Junction Butte, and Wapiti.

The goal would be to gain enough experience points to disperse, by helping in hunts (you deal less damage and have less health as a younger wolf), marking/defending the territory, playing with younger pups, winning play fights/climbing the social order among the other older pups. I'm not sure how well it would play, but it could provide a more immersive tutorial, where the older wolves try to show you how it's done - and how to play well. Particularly, what emotes and behaviours are effective in confrontations.

Possibly during a hunt, the adults do the bulk of the damage, but invite you to finish off a target.

There could also be a lone wolf origin - harder, but again, a goal to accumulate experience, with an option to try and join the NPC packs to make it easier.

Rather than the free-roaming of AM, perhaps it could be a somewhat linear mission - the pack is moving from A to B, and if you move too far away, one of the older wolves shepherds you back in. Or they just keep you in the relatively smaller territory. Either way, you wouldn't be the alpha, so the pack could lead you to some interesting places.

Ultimately, I'd like to see circular episodes that cover the generational lifespan - Prequel to Amethyst Mountain to Slough Creek to Tower Falls, and round again. With Slough Creek, I'd love an option to select surviving pups and 'grow' them into their adult coats to add to the "My Wolves" list.

I'm also a Pokemon player, and the "Gotta Catch 'em All" runs deep - I'd like to see a simple list of encountered wolves that you can fill in (across all saves) with their coats (the same rotatable menu from character creation), ages, personalities. I've been keeping track of wolves in the game, and it seems dispersals have random coats and ages, so they would be hard to list, but the pack wolves are consistent at least from 1-4.

Ogk1990
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ogk1990 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:23 pm

hi in multiplayer mode it would be nice if you could increase the level and when you increase the level for example to increase the statistics when multiplayer mode is available.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:58 pm

spruce56 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:45 am
I was thinking about a prequel episode to Amethyst Mountain, before your wolf disperses from their pack. Perhaps with several NPC packs to choose from, maybe the ones we know - Lamar, Junction Butte, and Wapiti.

The goal would be to gain enough experience points to disperse, by helping in hunts (you deal less damage and have less health as a younger wolf), marking/defending the territory, playing with younger pups, winning play fights/climbing the social order among the other older pups. I'm not sure how well it would play, but it could provide a more immersive tutorial, where the older wolves try to show you how it's done - and how to play well. Particularly, what emotes and behaviours are effective in confrontations.

Possibly during a hunt, the adults do the bulk of the damage, but invite you to finish off a target.

There could also be a lone wolf origin - harder, but again, a goal to accumulate experience, with an option to try and join the NPC packs to make it easier.

Rather than the free-roaming of AM, perhaps it could be a somewhat linear mission - the pack is moving from A to B, and if you move too far away, one of the older wolves shepherds you back in. Or they just keep you in the relatively smaller territory. Either way, you wouldn't be the alpha, so the pack could lead you to some interesting places.

Ultimately, I'd like to see circular episodes that cover the generational lifespan - Prequel to Amethyst Mountain to Slough Creek to Tower Falls, and round again. With Slough Creek, I'd love an option to select surviving pups and 'grow' them into their adult coats to add to the "My Wolves" list.

I'm also a Pokemon player, and the "Gotta Catch 'em All" runs deep - I'd like to see a simple list of encountered wolves that you can fill in (across all saves) with their coats (the same rotatable menu from character creation), ages, personalities. I've been keeping track of wolves in the game, and it seems dispersals have random coats and ages, so they would be hard to list, but the pack wolves are consistent at least from 1-4.
I love this idea! A prequel would be fun and also a good tutorial. Playing with pups would be fun; maybe one of the missions for the prequel could be bringing food to the pups and caring for them.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Sierra Faith
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Sierra

Post by Sierra Faith » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:47 pm

What I would love in a future version would be extra customizations that you can unlock by purchasing or if you hit a certain amount of experience points.
For example: a rare blue eye color can be unlocked if you get 200k experience points, but you can get it faster should you choose to purchase them. This could apply to all your wolves or just a few or one.
If you hit 500k you can unlock customizable collars. You can choose if you want spikes on them or diamonds or even just skulls. There are a lot of customizable options but I won’t get into them all right now.
If you hit 1 million you can get an albino wolf, this wolf can be edited but it’s skin color will remain the same. Again, it can be DLC.

That’s all I have to say about customizations for now, I will add more stuff later when I get more ideas.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Sierra Faith wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:47 pm
What I would love in a future version would be extra customizations that you can unlock by purchasing or if you hit a certain amount of experience points.
For example: a rare blue eye color can be unlocked if you get 200k experience points, but you can get it faster should you choose to purchase them. This could apply to all your wolves or just a few or one.
If you hit 500k you can unlock customizable collars. You can choose if you want spikes on them or diamonds or even just skulls. There are a lot of customizable options but I won’t get into them all right now.
If you hit 1 million you can get an albino wolf, this wolf can be edited but it’s skin color will remain the same. Again, it can be DLC.

That’s all I have to say about customizations for now, I will add more stuff later when I get more ideas.
While I like this idea, I do a have a few concerns with it in the context of the game, and would like to politely disagree with the way that it is being presented here.

1. Those customizations themselves are very unrealistic, and WolfQuest is a game that has always tried to be as realistic as possible. Blue eyes are something that has never been documented in wild wolves, only in certain dog breeds and wolfdogs. True albinism is also something that has never been documented in wolves in real life, meaning that wolves probably don't possess the gene for albinism in the first place, so to include it despite that seems, odd and unnecessary to say the least. It's the same with radio collars, researchers probably wouldn't put custom collars onto a specific wolf that they capture and collar, most radio collars that are put onto animals are very much just meant to be serviceable, and sometimes get chewed off by the collared wolf's pack or damaged by other factors, making it kind of pointless to put a specific design on it. So for a game like WolfQuest, I don't really like those customization ideas.
2. For me at least, from a gameplay standpoint it doesn't really make sense to unlock a new coat or customization like that just by gaining a certain amount of experience on a specific wolf. I think it would make more sense to unlock new customizations by completing achievements (whenever achievements are added to the game). That would give players more of an incentive to actually go out and complete achievements, rather than encouraging players to just gain enough experience to unlock things, which is a pretty overdone and simplified feature in games, in my opinion.

So while I do like the basic idea of unlockable customizations or adding new customizations in DLC, I take issue with the way that it is being presented here. It's being presented here in a "Reach a certain level to unlock the Golden Skin" sort of way, which in my opinion is pretty overdone in games nowadays. And in my opinion it doesn't really work in the context of a game like WQ, because why should I unlock a new skin for all my wolves just for getting a specific one to a certain amount of Experience? Why not reward players for completing general achievements rather than just rewarding them for getting a certain wolf to a specific XP level? That's the main problem I see with this. Again, the basic concept is fine, but I'm just not a big fan of the way it is being presented here.

Shina-K
Pup
Pup
Name: Kirozanagi/Kiro

Post by Shina-K » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Just a couple things I've thought might be nice...

- Being able to pick up small prey again after you've sat it down (like rabbits)
- Being able to edit your bio while in a game
JK JK --- JOUSHIKITEKI NI KANGAETE
JK JK --- "THINK USING COMMON SENSE"

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Selvin novaraptor wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:28 am
> Ability to order your pups to go into dens when there is a predator attack

> Coyote/Fox/Bear dens in maps - Yes I know that bears wander with cubs. I mean hibernation dens

> A rare chance of seeing other species of predator hunting ungulates

> You can 'command' your mate/vice versa

> Actual, Visible vunerability of prey

> otters, magpies, various small birds and other semi-interactable ambient creatures

> badgers, small rodents and other smaller interactable creatures

> Collectable/interactable objects in Lost River - e. g) carriable boots, interactable cats

> A sort of 'Hard Mode' featuring wildlife massacre of 19s and early 20s in future episode

> A competetive mode where pairs or teams of players need to raise pups. the team with most pups healthly surviving will win the game
>Visible vunerability can include difference in scent particles, blood trail(only visible in scent), limping or slower speed. Panting and prey slowing can also indicate it.

>Prey can suddenly charge you mid-fleeing to demonstrate their strength.

>Magpies can be found together with ravens.

>Otters, badgers and small rodents can be indicated by holes in frozen rivers, sudden splashing, traces of digging, footstep sounds, warning calls etc.

>larger rodents can be actually added as there is a documented clip on yellowstone wolf hunting groundsquirrel.

<Competitive Mode Ideas>

Altered TerritoryQuest - Players should compete against not only NPC packs, but also other teams of players over territory(NPC1, NPC2, NPC3, Player1, Player2...). Players with least deaths, least quickheal use and most territory will win the game.

PupQuest - Two or more teams of players should raise pups independently. Team with least deaths, least quickheal use and least pups dying after whole Slough Creek episode will win the game.

Mini Games - On certain settings, the game can support mini games like hide and seek, play tag and etc.
Last edited by Selvin novaraptor on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:49 pm

Selvin novaraptor wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:52 pm
Selvin novaraptor wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:28 am
> Ability to order your pups to go into dens when there is a predator attack

> Coyote/Fox/Bear dens in maps - Yes I know that bears wander with cubs. I mean hibernation dens

> A rare chance of seeing other species of predator hunting ungulates

> You can 'command' your mate/vice versa

> Actual, Visible vunerability of prey

> otters, magpies, various small birds and other semi-interactable ambient creatures

> badgers, small rodents and other smaller interactable creatures

> Collectable/interactable objects in Lost River - e. g) carriable boots, interactable cats

> A sort of 'Hard Mode' featuring wildlife massacre of 19s and early 20s in future episode

> A competetive mode where pairs or teams of players need to raise pups. the team with most pups healthly surviving will win the game
>Visible vunerability can include difference in scent particles, blood trail(only visible in scent), limping or slower speed.

>Prey can suddenly charge you mid-fleeing to demonstrate their strength.

>Magpies can be found together with ravens.

>Otters, badgers and small rodents can be indicated by holes in frozen rivers, sudden splashing, traces of digging, footstep sounds, warning calls etc.

>larger rodents can be actually added as there is a documented clip on yellowstone wolf hunting groundsquirrel.

<Competitive Mode Ideas>

Altered TerritoryQuest - Players should compete against not only NPC packs, but also other teams of players over territory(NPC1, NPC2, NPC3, Player1, Player2...). Players with least deaths, least quickheal use and most territory will win the game.

PupQuest - Two or more teams of players should raise pups independently. Team with least deaths, least quickheal use and least pups dying after whole Slough Creek episode will win the game.

Mini Games - On certain settings, the game can support mini games like hide and seek, play tag and etc.
I like all of these ideas! Admittedly some would probably be a lot harder to implement than others, but all of them would be nice features to eventually have (maybe someday?). There are some pretty cool and unique ideas in there as well, and I definitely appreciate the fact that you are suggesting a lot of unique things that I have not seen any other users mention.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”