What are the names of the WolfQuest Coats?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

Sierra Faith
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Sierra

What are the names of the WolfQuest Coats?

Post by Sierra Faith » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:12 pm

I’ve had this question for a while now and I’ve been struggling to find the answers online but, what are the names of the coat colors in WolfQuest? I know Dave mentioned the Tawny coat one time but the others have never been mentioned.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: What are the names of the WolfQuest Coats?

Post by Neamara » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:44 pm

The coat textures are named according to their wolf designation in the game files, iirc -- at least, they were in 2.7, which is how they were identified and referenced on the Wiki.

From the Lamar Canyon customisation pack:
  • Coat #1 is modelled after 856M.
  • Coat #3 is modelled after 926F.
  • Coat #4 is modelled after 859M.
  • Coat #5 is modelled after 925M.
Source: https://wolfquest.fandom.com/wiki/Custo ... anyon_Pack

From the Blacktail Deer Plateau customisation pack:
  • Coat #1 is modelled after 778M.
  • Coat #2 is modelled after 911M.
  • Coat #4 is modelled after 830F.
    • This wolf does not appear to have a page on the Yellowstone wolf website nor is she listed on the Blacktail Deer Plateau page; in fact, it seems there is little information about her online. She appears to be a former member of the Blacktail Deer Plateau pack. 830F does have search results on the Yellowstone wolf website. Images: 1 2, 3 and 4.
  • Coat #5 is modelled after 693F.
Source: https://wolfquest.fandom.com/wiki/Custo ... ateau_Pack

From what I could tell at the time these articles were written, the texture names do indeed match the wolves they are modelled after, though not all textures are named according to a wolf's designation. (Been a while. I'm pretty sure the original coat textures aren't.)
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Sierra Faith
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Sierra

Post by Sierra Faith » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 am

I understand the coats were modeled from real wolves but I was wondering what the coats themselves were called, like are all of them called Tawny coats? Or some other special maybe scientific name?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:35 pm

Sierra Faith wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 am
I understand the coats were modeled from real wolves but I was wondering what the coats themselves were called, like are all of them called Tawny coats? Or some other special maybe scientific name?
I think you'd honestly just be talking about basic colors/color patterns in fur at that point (e.g., agouti). Nothing special.

Moving this to Tips, Hints, and Help. Don't think it belongs in Wolf Q&A given the premise of the original question.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:46 pm

Yeah, I don't think that they mean anything in particular, they're just descriptions that Dave happened to use whilst talking about the coat. In the genetics video, he mentions the coats as "gray" or "black", so I doubt that there's any official name for them.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾