How to resize Windows 10 screenshot for profile pic

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

How to resize Windows 10 screenshot for profile pic

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:07 am

Ok so I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place to put my problem, but I've been having some trouble trying to convert MB to KiB for a Wolfquest forum profile picture. I've used Paint, but that really hasn't done anything? Please help, how do you guys resize screenshots??
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DaniBeez

Re: How to resize Windows 10 screenshot for profile pic

Post by DaniBeez » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Hey GB,

If you are using Paint as your program of choice, are you first using the Crop tool? You should first use Crop to remove parts of the screenshot that you don't want in your profile picture. Once you have a crop that you like, next use the Resize tool to scale your cropped image down to a pixel size that the forums like; in this case, 100 by 100 pixels max. The more of the original image you cut away, the more detail you will keep when you resize what is left over.

Paint's Resize tool is not very good however, at least it isn't in the 2007 version of the program. You lose a lot of detail when you resize. Especially with these large shots from the game!

If you are still having trouble, I would recommend trying a different program, like Microsoft Office Picture Manager. That one resizes images much nicer than Paint does.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

xc92u3

Re: How to resize Windows 10 screenshot for profile pic

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:35 am

Ooh yeah, I use a free (once subscription-based) art program called SketchBook. However, when I try to make avatars, I go for the jpegs because they can still preserve a good-enough resolution even when shrunk to 1900-pixels-or-so to 100. What I do is make the image width the same as the image height, and then I shrink it down to 100 and save it. Sometimes, for other people as well as the occasional me, the forums thinks the image you're trying to upload is more than 100 pixels. When this happens, shrink both the image's width and height to 99. That should do it.
Hope this helps :3